C-Pads or not on Grado SR325i
Feb 22, 2007 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

larryminator

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have some Grado SR325i and would like to buy some C-pads and DT770 headband. I can't post in the For sale Section since I think I'm not authorized because I have less than 50 posts but anyway, I would like to know if any of you have some SR325i with C-pads (ported or not) and how do they sound? I would like C-pads mainly for the comfort and added soundstage. Any input?

Feb 22, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 11
I'm currently using the Flat pads with my MS-2, which is physically the same as the SR-325(i), and I like this combination best in terms of sound and comfort. This is in comparison to the Bowls and C-pads, both of which I own and have used extensively too. All IMHO, of course...

...to which I may add the following. The Flats or C-pads are probably your safest bets (Bowl pads hurt my ears both sonic- and physical-wise). Flats, as the name implies, sit flat against your ears and do not apply as much pressure. C-pads, while arguably more comfortable due to it being Circum-aural, can be tricky to fit. You will most likely need to bend your headband to achieve the optimal fit, i.e. driver-to-ears angle. Without a good fit, the C-pads can be just as uncomfortable as you can imagine.

As for soundstage, I really don't think swapping pads can help Grados that much. A different phone will likely give you better results.
wink.gif

Cheers!

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 11
I tried the C-Pads (unported) for a bit then sold them. IMO, they sounded fine with the 325i phones, but due to the C-Pad size/fit, it was problematic to get full range of headphone movement. I too had to do some headband bending to get a proper fit (headband bending, for me, was a non-issue; I see being able to adjust the headband as a plus, and I did it even without the C-Pads).

Feb 22, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 11
I didn't like using C-pads with my 325i. It made them sound too veiled and a bit muddy. I sold them and just broke in my bowls.

Edit: I found the added soundstage to be minimal and not worth the tradeoffs.

Feb 22, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 11
I didn't have c-pads when I had the 325i's but I can echo what a couple of others have already mentioned, in that I really preferred the flats over the bowls with them. That being said, as far as comfort goes although I don't find flats or bowls to be too uncomfortable, I don't think you can beat the comfort of the c-pads with the beyer headband.

Feb 22, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 11
Hang around for a week or so, check out the Member's Lounge, and comment where you can. There are plenty of opportunities. 50 posts is easy if you get into a couple of good discussions.

Feb 22, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by toastmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't like using C-pads with my 325i. It made them sound too veiled and a bit muddy. I sold them and just broke in my bowls.

Edit: I found the added soundstage to be minimal and not worth the tradeoffs.

x2

I didn't like them very much on my RS-2's for the same reasons.

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #11 of 11
This is Bill from the future. The primary problem with the C-Pads is their effect on ear/driver distance. That problem stems from trying to add a secondary layer to the Grado framework. To do this right, you'll need to remove the clamps that hook onto the cups and install the gimbal directly to the wood in the C-Pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back