C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Jan 4, 2013 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3,421

H20Fidelity

Headphoneus Supremus
Recently on the forums I stumbled across this portable amplifier made by a company in China called C&C. The only information I had was a single thread with one or two posts from members whose opinions I trusted, to my understanding this brand was highly regarded on Head-Fi a few years ago until their international seller disappeared . I decided to contact some members via PM and ask their opinions, after receiving more positive feedback I decided to take the risk and boy am I glad I did because the sound is to be admired. So lets take a quick look at what you get for your $100 and a quick sneak peek into the SQ.

Here's the box. :smile:

Now, in the contents you will get:

1x C&C BH Portable Amplifier
2x C&C Stretch Bands for pairing with your DAP's
1x 5V USB wall charger
1X Manual (in Chinese)
1x A nice storage pouch (I like this)
1x USB charge cable
3x Sets of foam ear tips S/M/L
1x Mini to Mini Interconnect.

The amplifier itself has decent build quality made of what appears aluminium, weighing in at 100 grams, the volume pot feels sturdy there's no play around the port, I actually like the volume pot because it's not overly big or in the way. Three switches on the back are firm flicking without any question or slipping around. The bands however are rather small and as you can see in the photo's they're rather tight just slid over the amp, they can however be stretched over an ipod classic with success! Myself will be using the bands as feet on the amp for now. Rubber bands are your friend.

The amp itself.

Good size, smaller foot print than E11 (about the size of a credit card) thinner as well, 13mm. As I said the build is solid, rated at 80 hours from a single charge, maximum output power: 300mW +300mW, this amp sounds as good as it looks, It's beyond what an E11 can meet having owned one in the past. Clean, powerful, smooth with good depth and detailing far beyond what I was expecting. Also, it has a wonderful black space behind the music the soundstage works very well and unlike other amps I've tried 100% of your clarity is kept from the source, there's no veil or loss in detail here, if anything this adds to the experience. It leans ever so slightly away from neutral towards cool.

This is where things become interesting because C&C BH has two outputs with output 2 being a P -> B circuit. I'm not exactly sure why we would use this but it does offer me two different flavours. I have used my 32ohm Hybrids through both outputs and they sound evenly clean, it's just when using output 2 I may need the high gain switch engaged. Green for power on / red for charge, pretty much the standard. The jacks however are not very stiff, they're not loose by any means but they are a touch light when plugging in your cables. This does feel like a design of the jack and not a fault.

On the back you have three switches, all of which work in a positive way, they're not just there for novelty fun. You have low/high gain, which does exactly what it says adjusts the gain, this would be used to power more hungry headphones of higher impedance. The second switch is strange but in a good way, it offers a bass boost of some sort but at the same time makes the mid and high range crystal clear, like it improves clarity, I absolutely love the amp with this switch on atm. The third is a sound field switch, which seems to expand the soundstage but it also changes some of the frequency response as well. And of course the USB charge input, the amp can be used whilst charging.

The manual, there are a few pages in Chinese I do not understand but working out the amp was a breeze and they're really not needed. What does interest me is a graph in the manual with three pages of what appears headphone models and a bunch of measurements they have done. I will post two pages to see if someone can work out what this means.

And some size comparisons

This is just a sneak peek into the C&C BH and is not the company's only amp. They have a model under for about $85 (BK) plus a few higher models so this company does not appear like a one off amp show, they seem to have some knowledge in the area, from what I've read are still highly recommended on Chinese audio forums even over iBasso models. (this is just what I have read). So far I can say this excels an E11 by quite a margin especially in SQ, the detailing levels especially micro details are really obvious, imaging is top notch and the depth in centre channel is rather deep. I'll have some updates over the next few weeks on my full thoughts, but so far with 80 hours rated from a charge, the sound quality and build this was an excellent purchase, one I can recommend for those wanting to step up from E11 for just a little more.

Specs and features stolen from the listing. :wink:

Features:
1. professionally designed low-impedance headphones special batteries in portable amp, smaller than a credit card (aluminum case projection), the thickness of a 9-type aluminum alloy pot limit;
2. dual output headphone jack, OUT2 with a high-quality PtoB impedance line, listening to music for 2 people;
3. with the gain selector switch, to adapt to a wider range;
4. dive + low frequency sound field expansion of special compensation to make up the majority of less than headphones, sound is more perfect;
5. imported high quality fever potential, selection of matching left and right balance, ensure the sound quality;
6. using large-capacity high performance lithium polymer battery with charge and discharge protection;
7. Built-in smart charging circuit voltage will not overcharge, can listen to music while charging;
8. all tantalum capacitors + red WIMA coupling enthusiast, isolated power supply design, the sound is more pure;
9. Maximum output power: 300mW +300 mW;
10. headphone adapter Impedance: 8-300Ω;
11.THD + N: <0.001%;
12. Frequency response :10-100kHz / 1dB;
13. Long life time: about 80 hours;
14. Pocket size, Size: 76 * 57 * 13mm (aluminum housing);
15. Weight (including batteries): 100g;
16. Charging Power Interface: 5V0.5A DC, Universal miniUSB interface.
17.signal noise ratio :110dB

Members Impressions:

wje: Link

audiofan4life: Link

BustyBloke: Link

Leonarfd: Link

marko93101: Link

zerocoolhifi: Link

mtntwg: Link

Apo0th3karY: Link

ravager: Link

Techno Kid: Link

pngwn: Link

Greed: Link

Shootinputin187: Link

Gintaras: Link

geko95gek:Link

Shootinputin187: Link

oneoseven: Link

Kamakahah: Link

pablobaluba: Link

mpawluk91: Link

iLikeItInTheEar: Link

SkyBleu: Link

Sinth: Link

leadbythemelody: Link

kskwerl: Link

1199-R: Link

MattAnthony1990: Link

Vanarian: Link

Shak85: Link

Members IEM / Headphone (Crazy Synergy) Recommendations: (this list is new and currently growing)

IEM:

Triple-Fi 10
EarSonics SM3 v2
Rhapsodio RDB+ v1
T-Peos H-200
Yamaha EPH100
SoundMAGIC E10
JH5 Pro Custom
Musical Fidelity EB-50
Westone 4
Klipsch X10
Vsonic GR07 MK2
Zero Audio DX200
Audio Technica ATH-CKN70
Logitech UE900 - (Output2)
Vsonic VSD1S
Dunu DN-1000

Headphone:

Sennheiser Amperior
Ultrasone PRO 900
Vmoda M-80
JVC HA-S500
Logitech UE 6000
Sennheiser HD439
Beyer DT1350
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Sennheiser HD438
Pioneer HDJ-1500
Ultrasone Edition 8 Ruthenium
Vmoda M-100
Yamaha PRO 400
Yamaha HPH MT220

Many members are asking where to purchase LOD's / Interconnects. (this will be updated)

Here are some examples:

LOD can be found: here

Interconnects can be found: here

C&C BH (BH2) Differences.

The only difference between C&C BH and BH2 is BH2 has a user replaceable battery. When I say this I mean you can replace the battery by unscrewing the end plates and sliding the board out of BH2, whereas the original C&C BH had a hard wired (soldered battery). Far as we can tell from all user impressions the sound is exactly the same between the two units.

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 3,421

Members Rigs:

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 3,421
I'm waiting for more impressions! I enjoyed what I read above and the fact is has dual HO. I might give this amp a go sometime in the near future... 
beerchug.gif

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 3,421
Man...how can I ever save some money...

How long does the shipment takes with yours matey? 

It arrived via EMS shipping, I ordered before Christmas and New years Eve, and it arrived in 8 days.

This is actually a very capable amp guy's, I highly recommend it. I am having an absolute ball, flavours my HM-601 and CK4+ line outs in a truly positive way.

I don't think you would be disappointed.

Oh, and I'll need to know if the 80 hour autonomy is real! :D

I think I read more like 60 in the real world, but let's keep a track on it. :wink:

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #8 of 3,421
I think I already know what you're going to tell us about the C3 with this thing.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #12 of 3,421
I think I already know what you're going to tell us about the C3 with this thing.

Colorfly C3 needs to be at 40/40 volume, bass response improves, increased clarity around the mid range, treble response, soundstage widens a little. C&C BH still retains all of C3 signature, there's some colouration which works in our favour, separation and attacks fully intact, you will cure any problem of early distortion or thinning out with some IEM. (example T-Pes H-100 not passing 35/40)....engage the sound field switch with this combo and........ :wink: You're in for a treat.

H20, can you post a picture of the first page of those measuments, to see if those columns have a title? :popcorn:

Sure! I shall add this to the OP eventually. I was thinking about this last night.

Looks very good. Any comparisons with amps at same price level will be fine.

I can only compare this amp to FiiO E11 and JDS CmoyBB. I can say I prefer the C&C BH over them both by quite a margin.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #13 of 3,421
Quote:
Colorfly C3 needs to be at 40/40 volume, bass response improves, increased clarity around the mid range, treble response, soundstage widens a little. C&C BH still retains all of C3 signature, there's no colouration of any kind, separation and attacks fully intact, you will cure any problem of early distortion or thinning out with some IEM. (example T-Pes H-100 not passing 35/40) it really feels like you're just adding more power....engage the sound field switch however with this combo and........
wink.gif
You're in for a treat.

This is good news, not much if any additional colouration from the initial signal, with more power. And a bit of improved bass due to this.

This result was with the LF switch engaged or not?

Soundfield switch sounds excellent also. If I recall correctly it's not a crossfeed as such but more of an expansion type of thing is this correct or can you tell, I know your crossfeed stuff  went haywire that time with the cable, ( simply wrong configuration for you ) so it may be hard to tell if you aren't used to what it sounds like.

If I get my act in gear here i can let people know.
wink_face.gif

Why do you mention it should be at 40/40 volume? To feed the best signal or something else like slightly noticeable lowering of a certain area??

Thanks for all your impressions i have been eyeing this thing for a while.

Still trying to get a handle on how well this seems designed with so many options in such a small package.

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #14 of 3,421
This is good news, not much if any additional colouration from the initial signal, with more power. And a bit of improved bass due to this.

This result was with the LF switch engaged or not?

Soundfield switch sounds excellent also. If I recall correctly it's not a crossfeed as such but more of an expansion type of thing is this correct or can you tell, I know your crossfeed stuff  went haywire that time with the cable, ( simply wrong configuration for you ) so it may be hard to tell if you aren't used to what it sounds like.

If I get my act in gear here i can let people know.:wink_face:

Why do you mention it should be at 40/40 volume? To feed the best signal or something else like slightly noticeable lowering of a certain area??

Thanks for all your impressions i have been eyeing this thing for a while.

Still trying to get a handle on how well this seems designed with so many options in such a small package.

Those above results for C3 were done with no switches engaged,. I shall leave most of that up to the user because it's going to be a preference thing.

I will say however HM-601 sounds fantastic with the LF switch on, clarity around the mid range especially stereo is exceptional. However for me C3 gained better results using the SF switch. Regarding the volume output on the Colorfly, this amp doesn't mind a strong signal, for example using something like a FiiO E5 I could not pass 35/40 without distortion and unwanted noise creeping in, similar with my CK4+'s adjustable line out had to be 5 clicks away from full volume. C&C BH requires you to have your line outs at max volume, it just soaks up the signal. Must be able to tolerate a higher input.

I need more time with the SF switch, but it seems to widen the stage / take micro detail from the left and right channels then push them forward a touch while the centre channel drops deeper? I can't put my finger on it exactly, but will spend some more time with it. And it reacted slightly differently with each source, probably why it's slightly confusing.

You're welcome!

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #15 of 3,421
I went fishing the internet for further decent in depth reviews, but the only one that stood out is this one which looks like it is possibly from a fellow head-fier.

This review is dated Jan 2012 and is for an older model ( 4 year old model ) , but nonetheless is extremely detailed and provides some further expansion and background , tech specs on the basic build qualities of the C&C brand. I would think this BH being the latest iteration has got the better most improved design so far.

A bit also on the soundfield switch, which is what I was after.

http://yklee118.blogspot.ca/2012/01/c-box-real-world-review.html

pretty interesting imo

waitaminnit here, I scrolled up and saw they include eartips. what the.... That was in the box or a seller extra??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back