Bypassing the iPod Classic internal amp a question
Oct 4, 2014 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

FiJAAS

Previously known as DTSxJP
I have the iPod Classic 7th Generation and the JDS Labs C5 with the Fiio L3 to bypass the iPod internal DAC. Though what concerns me is even though it's bypassing the internal amp the iPod "Volume Bar" is still accessible via click wheel. I thought that the volume bar would be locked out due to this configuration. Am I doing anything wrong?

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 14
The C5 and L3 combo turns your 7th gen LOD to a line-out only, and NOT bypassing the internal DAC.  For that you need something like the CEntrance M8, VentureCraft SounDroid Typhoon, or Sony PHA-1/2.

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 14
The C5 and L3 combo turns your 7th gen LOD to a line-out only, and NOT bypassing the internal DAC.  For that you need something like the CEntrance M8, VentureCraft SounDroid Typhoon, or Sony PHA-1/2.

I'm sorry, I knew that it was a typo. I meant bypass the internal amp. Even the I'm bypassing the ipod internal amp with the lod the ipod volume bar is still accessible. I thought that it would be locked due to the lod.

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 14
The audio level should be locked, but not necessary the interface.  Did the audio level changed when adjusted the volume with your C5?

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #7 of 14
I use adl x1, fostex hp-p1 and theorem 720.
Both bypass the internal dac/amp section. With the adl x1, it is a design choice that the volume can be controled by the i-device

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 14
Yes, the ADL X1 is another great DAC/AMP for iDevices.

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 14
I use adl x1, fostex hp-p1 and theorem 720.
Both bypass the internal dac/amp section. With the adl x1, it is a design choice that the volume can be controled by the i-device

Wondering what your opinion is on sound quality between those 3 amp/dacs, and what headphones you have them paired with?

Cheers

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #11 of 14

Wondering what your opinion is on sound quality between those 3 amp/dacs, and what headphones you have them paired with?

Cheers

I have to write a review on a french forum, but it is not for now. I will do it by the end of the year. I will let you know when it is done.
There is a question I can answer though : I mostly listen them with my signature pro, especially the ADL X1 because this one is really made for on the go sessions.

I paired the others with Q701 and DX700, but only the Theorem is very good with the Q.

The fostex provides a very good first impression, but the sound is really not neutral, imo. Rather something clear with great basses, but it plays music in a different way.

Adl X1 is quite neutral, with a bump of warmth in the lows, the perfect match for a mobile use. It is the pocket size one. The others are bigger and heavier.
Theorem 720 is very good and the more I listen to it, the more I love it. At first I was disappointed, but it is a good performer from low end to high end. The highs are not smooth as they are with fostex hp-p1 but it seems to me they sound more like they have to do.  Its great weakness is the hiss. The volume is quite high even at the minimum for those who like to listen music at very low volume.
There is a little hiss (but far less) on the X1 too.
I also have the pandora hope VI. No issue with the hiss on Adl X1 and Fostex HP-P1. A pain on the Theorem.

Sorry for my poor english. I lack vocabulary and I read it better than I write it.

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks everybody. I am happy with my C5, but I will be looking for a compatible DAC for the iPod Classic in the near future.

DACs that work with portable Apple products usually cost a lot

You might be better off replacing the iPod with a good DAP (Digital Audio Player) that can work with ALAC, like the $170 FiiO X3.
The X3 already comes with a nice WM8740 DAC chip and headphone amplifier.

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #13 of 14
Am I wrong if I say that whereas Ipod really need to be amped to produce good sound, DAC such as FiiO X3 or X5 do not really need to be amped to work properly? Of course I'm speaking of using them with Headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back