Buzzing noise from DT770s 80 Ohm; do I require an amp?
Mar 7, 2018 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

CloudSensei

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Very recently, I purchased the DT770s, 80 Ohm model for use at home. I use it infrequently during evenings but often for extended periods (about 4 to 6 hours at a time). They are plugged in to the front port of my computer (which are ports provided by the relatively cheap case and not the motherboard itself) and I usually turn volume up to full.

The problem started yesterday where I seemed to detect a change in the sound coming through (specifically it didn't sound as 'full' as it had previously, where the stage just seemed sort of hollow, if that makes sense). I had taken my headphones off and then come back to them after some time so this might be entirely conjecture. I have, however, started to hear a buzzing noise at high volumes and at certain frequencies. In other words, the buzzing is not constant but sometimes comes in.

I am just wondering if this is because I am putting it directly into the case port or because I am utilising them at maximum volume or perhaps a mixture of the two. Additionally, if I purchased an amp, is it likely this problem would go away?

Thanks for reading this. Any suggestions or advice would be welcome.

Mar 7, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 3
It's most likely interference from the computer, I'm not even able to use either of the line outs on my computer without getting an insane interference buzz. I bought a fiio e10k to use as a DAC/AMP and it works fine for the 770 80ohms

Mar 7, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 3
It's most likely interference from the computer, I'm not even able to use either of the line outs on my computer without getting an insane interference buzz. I bought a fiio e10k to use as a DAC/AMP and it works fine for the 770 80ohms

Thanks very much for that. I will take a look into some amps shortly then :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back