buzzing/flapping sound hd650
Aug 26, 2018 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Adelfaidah

New Head-Fier
Hey guys i have a very specific problem. Basically, I own the hd650 and JDS lab the element AMP/DAC. So at first I started noticing a buzzing noise in the right ear cup when the bass goes low and loud, after hours of trying to figure out the problem I found out by opening the grills and pressing on the small foam it would disappear, so i stuck a small piece of tissue on top of the small piece of foam (problem solved) however i noticed another problem which happens with the tissue or without it and that is, while there is a low bass playing if i decide to change the volume either higher or lower I'd start hearing a fast flapping sound like a paper fan on the right ear cup, but once i stabilize the volume it doesn't seem to appear also if i change the volume digitally through the laptop it does not occur, it only occurs if I'm analog-ally changing the volume I.E I'm turning the volume dial on the jds the element AMP/DAC.

Anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening? i know its not a major issue as once the volume is stable its basically perfect but I'm still kind of worried as this doesn't seem normal. I did think of removing the small foam and see if it would solve the problem but I'm afraid i wouldn't be able to reverse it. ****.jpg the small tissue

Aug 26, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 9
Your contaminants in the driver are probably causing the issue. There was a well known phenomenon around here years ago called the Grado Grattle. It occurred in Grado headphones when a hair got caught in the driver. The hair would vibrate and flap, causing the inconvenient sounds that you seem to be noticing with the HD650. Unless the driver is damaged, you might have better luck by trying to clean things meticulously and seeing if that solves the problem.

Aug 27, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 9
Your contaminants in the driver are probably causing the issue. There was a well known phenomenon around here years ago called the Grado Grattle. It occurred in Grado headphones when a hair got caught in the driver. The hair would vibrate and flap, causing the inconvenient sounds that you seem to be noticing with the HD650. Unless the driver is damaged, you might have better luck by trying to clean things meticulously and seeing if that solves the problem.

i tried cleaning it but unfortunately did not solve the problem i could try cleaning it more thoroughly. However, the noise only occurs when the bass is low and while i am changing the volume. I assume if it were a hair i would hear the noise even when the volume is stabilized

Aug 27, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 9
The fact that it only occurs when you adjust the volume on the Element sounds to me like it's something wrong with the volume pot on the amp, not the headphones. My guess is that the tissue and/or pressing on the little foam bit is only stopping the driver from acting the way the signal wants it to act; i.e., just hiding the symptom.
This is just a guess, though.

Try switching equipment around to find out if it's the Element or the HD 650. Plug other headphones into the amp, and plug the HD 650 into another source/amp. Even your phone or PC should do the trick; the freebie earphones that came with your phone should work to test with the Element. It doesn't have to sound nice, you just have to see if you can replicate the problem.
Also, I may just be paranoid about my drivers and equipment, but I would take out that tissue and not touch the drivers. If nothing else, it'll help you eliminate one more variable by not having it there.

If you can figure out which one is the problem, then hopefully you can have it fixed under warranty. If not, any local hi-fi shop will know where to take it for repairs if they don't do it in-house. They'll probably also be able to help you diagnose the source of the problem if you're unable to... All for a fee, of course.

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 9
The fact that it only occurs when you adjust the volume on the Element sounds to me like it's something wrong with the volume pot on the amp, not the headphones. My guess is that the tissue and/or pressing on the little foam bit is only stopping the driver from acting the way the signal wants it to act; i.e., just hiding the symptom.
This is just a guess, though.

Try switching equipment around to find out if it's the Element or the HD 650. Plug other headphones into the amp, and plug the HD 650 into another source/amp. Even your phone or PC should do the trick; the freebie earphones that came with your phone should work to test with the Element. It doesn't have to sound nice, you just have to see if you can replicate the problem.
Also, I may just be paranoid about my drivers and equipment, but I would take out that tissue and not touch the drivers. If nothing else, it'll help you eliminate one more variable by not having it there.

If you can figure out which one is the problem, then hopefully you can have it fixed under warranty. If not, any local hi-fi shop will know where to take it for repairs if they don't do it in-house. They'll probably also be able to help you diagnose the source of the problem if you're unable to... All for a fee, of course.
thank you for your suggestions ill definitely try it out see what happens. Thanks again.

Aug 31, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 9
You're welcome! I hope you get it figured out soon!
as an update to what happened if anyone is interested. I was not able to try a different pair of headphones/earphones because my amp only has a 1/4 inch opening, and the only audio device i own with a 1/4 inch cable is the HD650. However i did try switching the right and left cables and noticed the flapping sound started to occur on the other ear cup meaning its either the amp or the cable and my bet is on the cable. ( so relieved it aint the headphone though)

Aug 31, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #8 of 9
Good to know it's not the headphone!
Why are you thinking it's the cable? It still sounds to me like it's the amp since it only occurs when you adjust the volume, right? Did your HD 650 come with a 3.5mm adapter? You could still try it with your phone.

Best of luck!

Sep 4, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 9
Cables usually either work or not, meaning the sound will intermittently cut out and in as the cable is moved around. In my experience the stock cable on the 650’s is pretty darn hardy. Barring some foreign object lodged against the diaphragm, which you’ve already eliminated, I’d be more suspect of the amp....

From the JDS Labs website:

• Static or noise while adjusting volume
    Causes: Analog potentiometers use a mechanical wiper travelling along a resistive path to adjust signal voltage (listening volume). Moving your amplifier's volume knob causes the wiper to move along its path. This mechanical process produces low level noise while the knob is turning, only while music is playing. The noise may or may not be audible.

Solution: Please understand that wiper noise is a normal behavior of analog volume controls and varies based on many conditions.

You are more likely to notice wiper noise when adjusting volume while listening to quietly recorded music, or to music with low energy content. Wiper noise is also more noticeable as potentiometers age. Certain climates can also exacerbate the effect.

The average potentiometer has a mechanical lifespan of 15,000 turn cycles, or about four years assuming 10 complete turns per day. If your potentiometer has reached the end of its consumable lifespan, we'll be glad to swap the part for you at cost.

Another possibility is the amp itself may have a faulty component. A quick google search didn’t turn up any known issues. If you can’t get any relief from JDS, you might try a shot of Deoxit into the volume pot.

Just some food for thought.....Good Luck and when you do get it figured out post up so others can benefit from your experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back