Buying Used headphones: some issues
Nov 22, 2008 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys,

HD600 which i bought last week were by first hifi and yet used pair of headphones.

i noticed i didnt really get that excitement which i got when i bought HD205 or HD555.

i mean they are like my dream headphones...and now when i have them..i dont feel the sense of ownership, the pride, the over enthusiasm or the satisfaction.

has anyone felt the same?

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 33
I have not had that feeling so far.
Bought quite a lot of used headphones without auditioning them in front, and been well pleased with all of them.

Perhaps the HD600 quite simply is not for you.
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 33
Sure, I've had that feeling when whatever I bought did not meet my expectations -- expectations which came from reading about the item.

As Duck Man says, perhaps the HD600 isn't for you. Nothing wrong with that.

However, having said that, the performance of a headphone in the class of HD600 depends also on the other equipment in the chain, namely the source and amp.

Nov 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i mean [she is] like my dream [woman]...and now when i have [her]..i dont feel the sense of ownership, the pride, the over enthusiasm or the satisfaction.

Sorry, I couldn't resist
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #8 of 33
I have iBasso D2 Boa as the DAC.. and Crossroads Edge Desktop Amp.

its not exactly the sound which is bothering me..more of psychological..because they aint brand new...the earpads had little dust which i had to clean

Nov 22, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 33
Except for real cheap portable cans, and some 10+ year old NOS headphones, I've bought almost nothing new and I've never had your problem. I prefer used because you can, some times, get a very good deal. Plus, most of my favorite headphones are long out of production.

Nov 22, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 33
There are no shortcuts in amps, only compromises. You keep taking from the cost, you pay in performance. If you want a high performance headphone, you have to give it control and amplitude from a high performance amp. The Sennheisers and AKGs are about the most scalable hps out there. They can sound as bad or as good as what you are playing them with.

Your amp is fed power from a wallwart. there is just not enough power to run those 600s properly. A nice tube amp with enough power supply is needed to put a grin on your face, and they will.

The initial sound should have put a smile on your face, regardless of dandruff or short hairs or anything else from a used hp. (well, unless there's buttfuzz on them)

Nov 22, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 33
I had the same feeling with the HD650's.
Even more dissapointed and depressed about the AT 5000's.
Perhaps I dont have the right equipment to massage these top end cans into submission.
IMO, the Denon 2k stomps a mudhole in BOTH!!!
Now that I have different amps and sources, I want the HD650's back!(welcome to Head-Fi, sorry bout your...)

Nov 22, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its not exactly the sound which is bothering me..more of psychological..because they aint brand new...the earpads had little dust which i had to clean

I see. They have obviously been used before, by someone else, since you bought the used. If a proper cleaning don't make the bothering go away, then you probably should stick to buying new gear.

Nov 22, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 33
I've bought my equipment about 50/50 new and used. I know what you're talking about - when I bought my RX-7, it still felt like someone else's car for the first few weeks. You'll get past that.

As for the sound, try plugging the HD-600 into something other than a portable amp. They sing, they really do. You haven't heard them at their full potential yet. When you do, you'll love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back