Buying used headphones - good or bad?
Jan 11, 2009 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mcegan

New Head-Fier
I really want to get this pair of Sennheiser 650's that I see, but the problem is that the guy says there's been about 300 hours of use on it.

My question is do you think this will affect the headphones positively or negatively? They aren't that much cheaper than a set of new (about 50-100 less). How long is the lifespan on headphones anyway

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 21
Headphones improve with use ("break in") as long as they have not been physically abused, or the paddings wear out. Be sure their home was smoke-free and pet-free, since the odors do linger.

Senn will repair/replace the pads (and all other parts) forever (or close to it), and very reasonable prices.

Many of my HPs were bought used and I am thrilled with the values.

Careful: Buy.com has them for $400, and I have not had a problem with them ($50 less than Amazon). Other places I have not heard of are $350.

So don't pay more than $250. The 650's now on eBay (300 hours, seller says, so I guess these are the ones), ending soon, ae just over $200 'cause of the cosmetic damage ... if you can confirm non-smoking try and win them!

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 21
There are folks on here that have headphones that are over 20 years old and they claim sound better now then they did when new. 300 hours is barely broken in. I would not hesitate to buy used if the seller was trusted.

Jan 12, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 21
It's worth noting as an example the AKG K701 headphones, which some people reckon are best after 1000 hours of use.

Jan 12, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 21
Buying used from a reputable source is always a good idea as long as no, or not much physical damage has been done. It is a great way to save money.

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #10 of 21
300 hours is nothing. I've put a lot more on my HD-650 over the past three years. They still look and sound great. Buying used is the way to go with audio gear - most audiophiles take good care of their equipment. I've never had any issues with gear I've bought used.

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #11 of 21
Purchased a pair of HD650's from a member that posted them here on Head-Fi for $250 shipped. They appear nearly new and sound excellent.

My logic was that I could try them and if disappointing, could re-sell for about
same price.

Not ready to sell, yet
darthsmile.gif

jeffreyl

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #15 of 21
Personally I would prefer used as it would be cheaper than new, and they might have a little break in (not that I believe in it though).

Also it's best to get them with warranty. That way if something goes wrong, the company can fix them for you. Other wise you might as well eat the money you dished out for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back