Buying/trying AT Old Woodies in Japan?
Apr 25, 2006 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

spaceconvoy

1000+ Head-Fier
Just finalized my travel plans to Japan this summer so I've started thinking about what headphones I'm going to buy (naturally
icon10.gif
). I'd really like to try out a pair of AT woodies, especially some of the earlier, out of production versions. Does anyone know of any stores that might have a few old pairs in stock, or any good used headphone stores? Also, does the new law banning the sale of used electronics apply to headphones (I didn't think so, but maybe I'm SOL)? I'll be in both the Tokyo and Osaka areas. Thanks.

Apr 25, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 15
I actually tried looking around for information regarding speakers/headphones under this new law a few weeks ago. It was to my understanding that only devices that incorporate power supplies or are directly related to electric power (fuses, power cords, or switches for example) are affected by this law.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/tsato/terms/denan-e.html may prove to be a worthy resource.

Apr 26, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 15
Apr 26, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanks, I've read a lot of good things about Fujiya-avic (in terms of buying new gear) so I'll definitely have to take a look. Problem is I'm only stopping in Tokyo and Osaka for a short amount of time, maybe a whole day at max, so I won't have time for browsing the smaller stores. Right now I'm trying to narrow down a short list - I've got:

Fujiya-Avic in Nakano
Yamagiwa in Akihabara
Dynamic Audio in Akihabara
Sound Pals in Osaka

Anything else?

Apr 26, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
Thanks, I've read a lot of good things about Fujiya-avic (in terms of buying new gear) so I'll definitely have to take a look. Problem is I'm only stopping in Tokyo and Osaka for a short amount of time, maybe a whole day at max, so I won't have time for browsing the smaller stores. Right now I'm trying to narrow down a short list - I've got:

Fujiya-Avic in Nakano
Yamagiwa in Akihabara
Sound Pals in Osaka

Anything else?

I actually bought from Sound Pals in Osaka. They're pretty friendly, though I think you can likely get slightly better prices if you really scour other places.

Apr 26, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Yamagiwa in Akihabara

You know, they closed the main Yamagiwa shop in Akihabara a little before I left Japan, and I don't know if they opened up a new flagship store. You wouldn't know if they opened up a new one would you?

Real shame if they haven't, since they really were the best electronics department store (IMHO) in Akihabara.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 26, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 15
Apr 26, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
You know, they closed the main Yamagiwa shop in Akihabara a little before I left Japan, and I don't know if they opened up a new flagship store. You wouldn't know if they opened up a new one would you?

Real shame if they haven't, since they really were the best electronics department store (IMHO) in Akihabara.

Best,

-Jason

I have no idea really. All my info comes from searching this forum. There's not a lot of info, and some of the threads were a few years old (although it's hard to imagine an electronics store in Japan going out of business
icon10.gif
)

Apr 26, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

I have no idea really. All my info comes from searching this forum. There's not a lot of info, and some of the threads were a few years old (although it's hard to imagine an electronics store in Japan going out of business
icon10.gif
)

Well their economy has been in a recession of sorts for the last decade and a half...

Apr 26, 2006 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 15
I think most of the used market must be online, or just in Tokyo. Sound Pal doesn't carry used gear, nor do any of the bigger stores. As a matter of fact, Nipponbashi (also called Denden Town), which is like Osaka's version of Akihabara, has been in steady decline electronics-wise for several years. Three of the bigger chains (Yodobashi, Bic Camera, and now Yamada-Denki) have outlets in Osaka now, which has resulted in many of the smaller stores closing down. Of course, the bigger chains don't carry older or used cans. You can still find W1000s new in stores, and of course the newer W5000s, but that's about it. I lucked out and found my W11Rs in a Joshin outlet, but that was years ago. Likewise with W1000s - I found a perfect demo model at a Joshin store that was closing (part of the closures I mentioned above). Basically, from what I've seen, it all comes down to luck, as Jason said. Checking diligently and being lucky. Let me know if you have any questions about Osaka, though. I'll likely be away in the summer, but I'd be happy to offer advice and such. Good luck!

Apr 26, 2006 at 12:08 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_T
I think most of the used market must be online, or just in Tokyo. Sound Pal doesn't carry used gear, nor do any of the bigger stores. As a matter of fact, Nipponbashi (also called Denden Town), which is like Osaka's version of Akihabara, has been in steady decline electronics-wise for several years. Three of the bigger chains (Yodobashi, Bic Camera, and now Yamada-Denki) have outlets in Osaka now, which has resulted in many of the smaller stores closing down. Of course, the bigger chains don't carry older or used cans. You can still find W1000s new in stores, and of course the newer W5000s, but that's about it. I lucked out and found my W11Rs in a Joshin outlet, but that was years ago. Likewise with W1000s - I found a perfect demo model at a Joshin store that was closing (part of the closures I mentioned above). Basically, from what I've seen, it all comes down to luck, as Jason said. Checking diligently and being lucky. Let me know if you have any questions about Osaka, though. I'll likely be away in the summer, but I'd be happy to offer advice and such. Good luck!

Ookini na, honma ni.

Apr 26, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #13 of 15
The Laox Mac Store near Dynamic Audio in Akihabara also has canalphones and portable headphones (like the ATH-ES7) that you can listen.

Quote:

Fujiya-Avic in Nakano
Yamagiwa in Akihabara
Sound Pals in Osaka

Anything else?

Apr 26, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by heymaceo
Do either of these two vendors sell/ship to the USA?

jjcha のポストよんでくれ
very_evil_smiley.gif

(jjcha's post read
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Apr 26, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #15 of 15
Why not in advance of your trip place some "WTB" listings on Craigslist. I see they have Tokyo & Osaka editions.

You never know what you will find, maybe some real interesting gear.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back