Buying The Sizzle??? (HE90 Takes the crown)
Apr 26, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #61 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Does the HE90 require as much time to charge as the OII?

No the He90 sounds good within a 1/2 hour sounds Damn good after a hour.

Apr 26, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #63 of 87
Wow, SO MANY Posts.

Anyway, my opinion:

I've heard the HE90/HEV90 combo... a few HUNDRED times. I'm actually listening right now. Point being, I've tried numerable combinations of gear and IC's, PC's, etc...

My verdict? With well recorded material, this thing sounds AMAZING. Openess, speed, depth, and even groove (although not as much as the HE60 out of the same amp IMHO).

However, I listen to a lot of 'less than perfect' recordings. A lot of stuff from the 70's, etc... and I have to say, there is a definite tendency towards treble brightness. I haven't bothered to figure out where, but if I was to guess, I'd say 8-12khz. SSSSSibilance.

In comparison, my HD600 setup does not show this tendency, but definitely sounds 'veiled' and constricted in comparison, but still really really fun. Maybe more fun (with this not-so-well recorded material).
===

I have heard comment on the ES-1, saying that it had a less forward upper midrange (I DO NOT notice this with the HEV though, the midrange in all its glory is simply fabulous!); and a less sibilant treble. Did anyone else notice this? If the ES-1 can tame the treble by lessening it's sibilant aspects while increasing low end bass response, this would definitely be a deal maker for me.

Neil

Apr 26, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #64 of 87
Hey Neil, when listening to your Orpheus system, I noticed what you're describing regarding HEARING those artifacts of lesser-recorded albums. A good example, we were listening to Camel, and on the HE90 I noticed the cymbals were fairly sharp and a bit grainy. Went to the HE60, and it was so harsh as to be nearly unlistenable. Same result with the Qualia. I think the bottom line is the the HE90 lets you hear these flaws, but does not accentuate or exaggerate them as other headphones might. It certainly leans more toward listenability than analyticality, but at the same time is still resolving enough to give you a full idea of what it is fed. I certainly wouldn't argue with the HE90's treble, based on what I heard. If the ES1 is designed to soften it, perhaps it is more of a concession to the HD650 crowd, who seem to be Singlepower's most prominent customers...?

Apr 26, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #65 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Hey Neil, when listening to your Orpheus system, I noticed what you're describing regarding HEARING those artifacts of lesser-recorded albums. A good example, we were listening to Camel, and on the HE90 I noticed the cymbals were fairly sharp and a bit grainy. Went to the HE60, and it was so harsh as to be nearly unlistenable. Same result with the Qualia. I think the bottom line is the the HE90 lets you hear these flaws, but does not accentuate or exaggerate them as other headphones might. It certainly leans more toward listenability than analyticality, but at the same time is still resolving enough to give you a full idea of what it is fed. I certainly wouldn't argue with the HE90's treble, based on what I heard. If the ES1 is designed to soften it, perhaps it is more of a concession to the HD650 crowd, who seem to be Singlepower's most prominent customers...?

The ES1 doesn't soften anything,the treble is extended as well as the bottom end.

Apr 26, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #66 of 87
Well, here we go, I'm gonna get into hot water with this one!
eek.gif

To tell you the truth, what you describe is exactly what I heard at the show. On normal recording pieces the HE90/HEV90 combo sounded *really* open, airy and transparent. I had Jude next to me and thought so, and said so, as well.

However...

On a recording, and a voice, that I have permanently ingrained and tattooed "into my skull" - as much as I have the metal bars and tattoos punched into my own, real flesh - that being Amanda McBroom...

I'm going to say that her upper registers, the exact frequency range you described, were "hot". One particular song that I can pretty much sing to myself with my eyes closed - "Only With You" - has a very small natural "sibilance" at the beginning of one word, second phrase:

"Every so often a rainbow spreads over you"

The HE90/HEV90 combo simply overemphasized the leading "s". If I weren't so married to those albums as a reference I doubt I would have noticed it, for I would not have had the album on hand to play. On classical and lesser known, but very well recorded, pieces the tip up did not draw excessive attention to itself.

The HD600 / HD650 dulled that 's' attack, my (personal) "trial by fire" test (the 600 less so than the 650). When it's right the 's' sibilance is just apparent, like a wisp of rose on a summer day. When just the slightest bit is wrong it disappears or is too emphasized, a true trial by fire - the most delicate of nuances.

The ES-1 / HE90 combo did not, repeat did NOT, get it wrong. The combo hit the 's' right on the money, which my own system does also (now that is, for when I lost the MIT's it didn't, and that drove me crazy. Now it does again). Those few in attendance probably saw me do a double "Thumbs up" sign the moment that system, the ES-1 / HE90 combo, hit it.

For me - me alone - the spectral balance of the HE90 / HEV90 combo did indeed seem slightly tilted up. For most of the classical, and a decent portion of the jazz, pieces that were being used as a reference it simply made the soundstage appear very, very open and transparent. But, like I said, I've been listening to those 3 albums - the 2 Amandas plus Jazz at the Pawnshop - for almost 20 years on everything from Bose 201's to Martin-Logan Monoliths, 801's, 808's, SL600's, WATT / Puppies and the list goes on until I'm sick of writing it. The HE90 / HEV90 combo...missed it, on all 3 albums.

It was good, but something was just a touch...amiss. And IMHO I've stated what I thought was amiss - the upper midrange / lower treble was a bit too hot. IC change? Could be! Maybe different CDP.

Under the same conditions, however, the ES-1 pretty much nailed just about everything it was given, based upon what I could hear.

YMMV.

[ducks and runs for cover] This ain't a popular opinion but one I felt I heard.

Apr 26, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #67 of 87
At the Miami meet I fully expected the Orpheus combo to trounce the Mcallister,given the price differential and the HEV90's legendary rep.The Mcallister is a damn good amp even if you don't consider it's price,but the HEV90 whipped it,IMO.I actually thought the Mcallister was a touch hot in the upper treble compared to the HEV90.The Orpheus sounded so smooth,yet never got too warm or dull,and the detail was there in spades.I can't wait to do some comparisons of the ES-1,HEV90 and my Aristaeus at the next S Fl. meet.Gary.

Apr 27, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #68 of 87
Well, I am definitely very SSensitive to exCccEsssive SSIbilanCcce. (sorry
smily_headphones1.gif
). Anyway, I almost think of this as a slurring or a smearing of the transient response timing. I cannot tell you which is more accurate (HEV90 upper treble handling, or say, SDS-HD650 which does not have this but still with much detail), but I have heard even very good recordings, IE: Sting's Ten Summoner's Tales and the sibilance is still there (everything else on the recording sounds amazing).

I wonder if different cables would do? I noticed this effect much less with the following Cardas cables: Golden, Neutral, and Cross.

I currently have Virtual Dynamics Masters on there, and it really does change the signature. Sounds different
confused.gif
I need to do some cable swapping to see. Or maybe these IC's need to burn in more. I was never much of a believer in the effects of IC's before I got the Orpheus system. To me, there is an unquestionable effect now.

Btw-my words were 'tame the treble'. I'm not interested in 'softening' it per se, but the HEV doesn't seem to deal with it quite right, at least with my current config.

Also, I use an Esoteric DV50 and also the D70 DAC and I feel this is a less smooth than others but very dynamic and detailed CDP & DAC.

Neil

Kind of related: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=176798

Apr 27, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #69 of 87
There's something to be said about concerning yourself with the total outcome rather than worrying about the individual aspects. That is, think of the system as a system for it is all too easy to get the "most revealing", "best" DAC matched to the "best for $$$" CDP to the "best" IC to the "best" cans with the "best" amp to match it all...and yet have it end up sounding horrible.

Sometimes a bit of "compromise" is required in a link somewhere to make up for all those..."bests". Sometimes a sweet, pleasant but not "best" DAC mates up in your QUOTE "great" system and makes everything all nice-nice. Or that IC, the one in the reviews that said "no", works in your system just right.

Between expected delivery - what these objects "should" be doing based upon what the designer / manufacturer states - production variance, aging, break-in, symbiosis with other parts...it's enough to drive you bonkers.

There is something to be said about aiming for "workable" - happiness - rather than "perfection", that unattainable-by-humans goal our capitalistic society tells us we should aim for...because it keeps their eternal cash registers cha-$hining.

Am I trying to say...a wise man knows when to quit?

Apr 27, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #71 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
snip...promoted at headroom because they make amps specifically for them...snip

What a stunning piece of bull****! Get your facts straight.

Regarding the HE90, I do think it's amazing. BUT, there is a world of difference between the impressions one might give of something that one can not only not afford, but not even buy even if one could afford it. When the financial burden is lifted from an opinion in the audio world, it's a lot easier to declare it complete perfection. If one had to shell out your money for it, and indeed it was readily available for one to purchase, I think a lot of the opinions would be far more critical, in reference to the currently available competition, both electrostatic and dynamic. When the guys at HeadRoom sent me a set of new '06 Max Modules in the convertible to try out, in assessing them I had to not only decide whether they were worth the price people pay for them, but also whether they were worth the $399 that I would have to spend to power them properly with a Desktop Power Supply. Now that I have indeed invested my hard earned cash in them, my ears will be far more critical of them than when I was listening with the 'brick' power supply that I got for free...

Apr 27, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #72 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
Only a wise man, not an audio guy.
biggrin.gif

Only a wise guy, not an audio man.
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #73 of 87
Interesting thread. I'll have to read it more carefully later. (I've skimmed only pages 1 and 4.) Oh, so why am I posting? To answer the original question. My deep, well thought out and technical answer is: the HE90's are better than the Omega II's. That's what I'm hearing anyway, comparing them side by side, and independent of source or amp. This is my conclusion after repeated exposure to said stimuli.

Apr 27, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #74 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
What a stunning piece of bullpoop! Get your facts straight.

I believe you took the post out of context. Headroom DOES use Senns to voice their amps, what they don't do is make amps FOR Sennheiser corps. They also use special equipment provided by Sennheiser. It is also no secret that Headroom (or specifically Tyll) has for a long time, prefered Senns (or at least HD600 and now 650) over pretty well all other phones. The HD650/Blockhead combo being prefered over the Big O at times.

Apr 27, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #75 of 87
Well, they are currently claiming the AKG K701 is the best dynamic headphone, so it's obvious they aren't being paid by Sennheiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back