Buying regular headphones for PC + Xbox 360 gaming
Jul 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

romantichero

New Head-Fier
So basically, I want to buy high-quality headphones (around $150-$175 budget) primarily to use for PC gaming, watching films on my computer, and IF POSSIBLE hearing audio while Xbox 360 gaming.

So basically: please recommend some headphones, and ALSO, is it even possible to use such headphones with an Xbox 360 wirelessly without spending excessive money on adapters and such? I'm not an expert on wires and jacks so some explanation would be helpful!

Also, if I may want to purchase a mic too in the future, will that work out? It just seems like the dedicated "gaming headsets" are a rip off for the quality of audio.

Thank you so much!

Jul 18, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
So basically, I want to buy high-quality headphones (around $150-$175 budget) primarily to use for PC gaming, watching films on my computer, and IF POSSIBLE hearing audio while Xbox 360 gaming.
So basically: please recommend some headphones, and ALSO, is it even possible to use such headphones with an Xbox 360 wirelessly without spending excessive money on adapters and such? I'm not an expert on wires and jacks so some explanation would be helpful!
Also, if I may want to purchase a mic too in the future, will that work out? It just seems like the dedicated "gaming headsets" are a rip off for the quality of audio.

For surround sound gaming on a xBox, you would want something like the Astro Mix-amp. (used $100)
and that does not include headphones.

You might be able to find a used Turtle Beach DSS for surround sound headphone gaming, with the xBox.

I guess if your willing to game and watch movies in 2-channel stereo, you could spend all your budget on headphones (I'm assuming the xBox has something like a headphone jack?)

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
But let's say my primary use is for PC and if I can't find stuff that completely fits the 360 bill then it's fine... what do you recommend then?

Decent low cost PC sound card
Asus Xonar DG sound card, $30, and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.

Headphones.
Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) closed headphones.
On Amazon there are selling for $60 (Gemini).

So for around $80, you can game on your PC.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
So you wouldn't recommend going for something like the DT770s or something?

I would say to get the DT770, but your not budgeting enough for the DT770 and the decent headphone amplifier you need to drive it.

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Any other better quality choices for the price point?
ALSO why would I need a headphone amplifier for my PC?

Chances are your motherboard's line-out/headphone output jack was not designed to drive Beyerdynamic 250-Ohm headphones.
Even the 80-Ohm version like a little amping.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Ok so we're talking about a sound card right? Headphone amplifier for PC means sound card?

Usually it's the best value to buy a sound card with the headphone amplifier already built in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back