Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #4,066 of 5,364
Quote:
The ER4Ps have a mic? 
eek.gif
 You sure you're not confusing them with the HF3 instead?

RE272s - very soft note presentation but very decent extension and a nicely rounded impact along with oodles of texture.  
PFE122 - also soft, not as rounded or slow-decaying of note (could be a good thing or a bad thing), more focused about the punch than anything else really.
GR07 - Loads of texturing and very dynamic, great technicalities - makes drums pop out in an extremely vivid way.

Though it is a bit confusing, in terms of how you want an analytical sig but lean more towards aggressive genres - any way in particular that you might enjoy your genres presented? Because at this point I guess the best compromise would be the GR07s, as they retain balance and an emphasis towards both dynamic "fun" and the other end of the spectrum (although analytical sigs can be quite fun, at least for me).

I must've gotten the ER4P and HF3 confused. 
blink.gif

Nonetheless, I only mentioned the analytical sound sig. because I'm just being adventurous. I've heard so many good things about triple BAs. I was just wondering how they'd sound. The most I've heard about here on Head-Fi is the TF10, but if that was the case I'd might as well go for the Shure 425 with those sexy detachable cables and flat design, no? *drools* 
ksc75smile.gif
 Also, can you explain the difference between the dynamic drivers and balanced armatures and how they differ within my genres? Whatever you reccomend would be my "go to" because I've only just begun my journey into the high end of headphones. I'd appreciate your personal opinions as well as your professional opinions. Both would be useful. I'm just dying to get my first pair! I'm also hating these Sony earbuds I've been using while I make my decision. D:
As always, Thanks TwinQy!

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #4,067 of 5,364
Quote:
Philips, as in the SHE3580s?
More than likely you did not get a good seal with those. More than likely you didn't try tip rolling.
While different paradigms in terms of presentation should be factored in, discrepancies between sheer quantity really shouldn't be that different. 
Out of the choices, bass quantity (relatively) should be similar to the choices I remember you choosing previously. 

No.
I'm not sure what model are (were those supplied with the Philips mp3 player to my brother), closely resemble the Philips SHE7005/00).

Today I have tried these headphones similar to Philips SHE7005/00, I do not get on well with the In Ear, and then the mid frequence a bit too open, annoying.

I would buy the headphone. I like to have powerful bass, deep, extensive and not with mid frequence annoying.

I think the Creative Aurvana Live headphones are that do it for me, what do you think?

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #4,068 of 5,364
Quote:
Nope, no idea on the FA-004, sadly.

In that case, have you tried the JVC HA-S400? I want to know how it compares to the HA-S500 directly, and if it's worth twice the money. The S500 should be objectively better because it's the next step up, but that doesn't always end up being the case and I haven't been able to find any reliable head-to-head comparisons of the two. Thanks for all your help, by the way :)

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #4,069 of 5,364
One more question. Does anyone here have experience with the Philips CitiScape Metro (or Shibuya) headphones? They're the little brother of the Downtowns. I like the look more, but I can't find hardly any reviews on them.

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #4,070 of 5,364
I have gotten to the point to where I am sick of getting cheap earphones that will break in 4-5 months. I want a good pair of earphones. I would only pay up to 150$. I cannot tell you what sound signature I like because I don't know about that kind of stuff. the only thing I can tell you all is that I listen to stuff like tool, Alice in chains, anthrax, deft ones, rage against the machine,megadeth. I also listen to old rap like big l, and gangstarr and etc. so.. what kind of earphones should I get?

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #4,071 of 5,364
I'm new to In-Ear and want to get a good one from the start, and i'm between Westone 4R, Shure SE535, UE900 (already have a Sennheiser CX310, so i'm thinking these ones will be an upgrade, right?). I listen mostly to Rock and Metal, and a few electronic music. Thanks in advance. ;]

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #4,072 of 5,364
I'm new to In-Ear and want to get a good one from the start, and i'm between Westone 4R, Shure SE535, UE900 (already have a Sennheiser CX310, so i'm thinking these ones will be an upgrade, right?). I listen mostly to Rock and Metal, and a few electronic music. Thanks in advance. ;]

Sound preference? Seems like most of the genres you listed have bass on the punchy side. And from the multiple reviews ive read on the UE900s,thats the wrong direction.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #4,073 of 5,364
Quote:
it's ok. i tried my friends ipod earbuds with control on my Sony xperia ZL but that only thing that worked was the middle button to skip music but i want buds with volume controls and all i can find are the in ear canal buds. (i hate them with a passion as i don't like isolation). i already have the Audio-Technica ath-m50 for home use but i need earbuds with volume controls.

Well, as mentioned, the MX550s do nicely (more than nicely, fantastically) in terms of sound.

Quote:
Hi Everyone

I was reluctant to ask for advice about which IEM to go for because a) I naively presumed I could piece together all the information together myself and b) I'm sure people are getting a bit sick of such generic questions.

Any yet here I am...

Budget around 200$

Previous IEMs

-Etymotics Er4P = Can't argue about SQ but didn't find them very 'fun' for lack of a better word. A little clinical at times and made me feel like I was analyzing/assessing music rather than just listening for pleasure.

-UE700 = Bizarrely preferred these to the Etys, but the cable lasted about 6 months.

Current shortlist

Vsonic GR07 Mk2 (or bass edition)
TDK BA200
SHURE SE215 (simply for the detachable cable, as this is what ALWAYS breaks)
Yamaha EPH-100
HifiMan RE262

They need to be 'allrounders' is that is even possible as I listen to an eclectic mix of music.

Source will be both a Colorfly C3 and a fairly generic Android phone, so unamplified.

Any push in the right direction would be really appreciated as I feel I could be spending the next 6 months swaying from one choice to another...

While we do have a point of reference in terms of you not wanting a sig like the ER4P (which shows in the above choices), the choices are still quite over the place in terms of sound signature so any expansion in terms of characteristics you look at when listening to IEMs the most, just going into more detail in terms of preference sound wise, comfort-wise, isolation-wise, would be immensely helpful.

Although if you are talking strictly "all-rounder" the SE215s have a slightly skewed signature that might not be as well suited. And as enticing as the detachable cable is, the mechanism on these units in particular haven't been as robust as others (the whole stigma on defects in the past, and the mechanism still not working as well purely from a design aspect after the fixed batches).

Quote:
Long story short I like bass. I have been struggling to find good earphones since forever... all I want is an IEM that will provide.

I listen to Hip Hop and Trance - Lows and Highs... Mids can suffer for all I care 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Here's a video with the kind of sounds I want to hit well:

My short history:

1. I had 3 cheap pairs of Phillips SHE3570 which gave me somewhat what I was looking for, but being cheap they broke fast.
  2. Then I bought Beats by Dre Studios, which also - subject to piece of **** build quality - blew within 2 months.
  3. I also had a pair of Seinheiser headphones, that sounded ok, but sucked in comfortability and alround looks.

Out of the above, the Studios (regardless of their reputation), satisfied my taste in music where lows were the basic desire. Their size and sh***y quality is what screwed them.

So I have decided IEMs are the way to go, especially when I go to Uni and massive headphones are not the go.

On the note of looks, I want a pair that are available in white, and aren't going to be weird looking in my ears - basically portably acceptable. I have ATH-M50's for home use, I need looks + quality for outdoor thought.

Price Range= <$200

Thanks for the help everyone!

I think I mentioned the whole spiel about stating preferences on your thread, but if you did reply on that part (I can't find the thread for the life of me) - please do help remind me and/or to inform anyone else who might have an idea regarding your preferences by posting the reply (if you did - if not....well...)

Quote:
hello everyone.. first of all thanks a lot to TwinQY for helping me out in choosing an iem.. i got xba-1 and i damn enjoying it fully.. now to the advice part.. my cousin is planning to buy a pair of cheap and good earphones.. and after searching the deals etc. and keeping the budget in mind, its either brainwavz m5 or signature acoustics elements c-12. he loves bass but i personally thought to ask for the pros and cons of both compared head to head. my queries list for their comparison in order of descending preferrence are:

1. overall sound quality and clarity [ not just bass. the sound should be least sibilant as possible to which one can listen for hours without fatigue ]
2. build quality [ i have read mixed reviews for the m5.. some say its best build in brainwavz series.. some say its the worst in the series]
3. bang for the buck [ m5= 40$, c-12= 50$ ]

thanks a lot!

1) Curious as to why the M5 are being considered over the GR02 or even their predecessors the M2s on that front. The M5 were unassuming and bloated technicality-wise on that front in comparison.
2) The cabling on the M5 is their fall from grace. Just not on par as with other Brainwavz.

Haven't heard the C-12, but if you can handle a slight increase in price the other two mentioned might be worth a look at the very least. The GR02s have a bit more sparkle and tizz but boasts more perceived clarity, while the M2s hit it off with extreme smoothness.

Quote:
I have been a sennheiser fanboy for a while, however I also own the JVC HAFX1X iem, so I am not tied to a specific signature. 
I am looking for an all round headphone due to a wide range of genres I listen to.

As you can see there is a wide range I will want to throw at the cans.

I am looking for something that has controlled, tight, punchy bass, and can present female vocals on occassion.
I am looking for the best all round can I can get for my budget, I do listen to a large range of genres, but hopefully the above gives you an idea of what i listen to 90% of the time.

Tight, punchy bass, female vocals - the S500s are much more punchy in comparison to the Beyers (which can get a bit boomy although the quantity itself doesn't really call for it - what it really does nicely is the mids). Not to mention the upper mids on the S500s give a nice emphasis for female vocals, sometimes a bit uneven but there are mods aplenty on the main thread.

Quote:
So here we go,

Currently I have the Sennheiser CX300II, and I've had them for about three years now. During this period I had to get them replaced three times due to damage. This is the fourth time something is wrong with them, the balance is off, and there is no bass is my left ear. Because the warranty is expired I have to get a new pair. 

My budget is around 100$, with a maximum of 130$, which comes down to 100€, Since I am from the Netherlands.

Preference: Good isolation, good build quality, comfortable for long periods of time and a headset combo would be very nice, since I will only use them on my phone.
Environment: On the road (bike)/travelling, school.
Sound Signature: Punchy bass with clear treble, also like a warm sound to it. But it's very hard for me to give a real preference since I've had this set for so long. My only other music source is my 5.1 system at home and the speakers of my phone.
Driver: My Galaxy S3
Genres: Mostly metal but also kind of agressive drum and bass and bass music. Noisia is the perfect example, [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Waqn0jBG58http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pWZRJd4z8ohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVdWB-MhNxU.

I've been quite happy with the sound of the ones I have now, but I want to step it up a notch on all fronts. I already have been looking around and my eye fell on the ethymotic mc2's because of the isolation and all round quality (and headset), and the beyerdynamic mmx 101 iE, because of the strong bass, very decent isolation and confort (also headset).

Allthough I do not understand why there are seperated adaptors needed for Samsung devices? As stated on the beyerdynamic website. If anyone could clarify that for me. 

"Combining sophisticated aesthetics with striking sound quality, the MMX 101 iE is the ideal headset for owners of iPhones, iPads, iPod Touchs, Blackberrys, HTCs or other compatible mobile devices provided with 4 pole mini jack plug 3.5mm (for Nokia, Sony, Ericsson, Samsung, Motorola, LG models, separate adaptors are available)."

Thanks in Advance,

For the adapter thing - pretty much a TRRS vs TRS deal - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)

$100-130, isolates, good build, mic/remote headset functionality, punchy, clear treble, warmth - well first off I really have to say THANK YOU for stating your criteria in such a detailed and clear way - absolutely exemplary!

Otherwise you really are describing the A161p in their entirety - mic/remote, punchy mid-bass with balance and slight warmth, oh-so-clear in most regards. The shells are small as well as the nozzle so you can insert them quite deep. Pretty much fits the criteria to a T. I'd give more alternatives as per usual but these really fit the bill to the point where I have to just scream and point at these.

Oh that or the PFE012 if you mind no warranty due to the shop closing and fidgeting with tips as these are rather shallow, fits the profile sound wise as well, with perhaps an even clearer treble. Mic/remote, etc, etc.

Quote:
I must've gotten the ER4P and HF3 confused. 
blink.gif

Nonetheless, I only mentioned the analytical sound sig. because I'm just being adventurous. I've heard so many good things about triple BAs. I was just wondering how they'd sound. The most I've heard about here on Head-Fi is the TF10, but if that was the case I'd might as well go for the Shure 425 with those sexy detachable cables and flat design, no? *drools* 
ksc75smile.gif
 Also, can you explain the difference between the dynamic drivers and balanced armatures and how they differ within my genres? Whatever you reccomend would be my "go to" because I've only just begun my journey into the high end of headphones. I'd appreciate your personal opinions as well as your professional opinions. Both would be useful. I'm just dying to get my first pair! I'm also hating these Sony earbuds I've been using while I make my decision. D:
As always, Thanks TwinQy!

In terms of sound characteristics I'd hate to stereotype. You can ask rin or tomscy2000 on the forums for more technical info regarding the actual technologies because I have no degree and am literally talking out of my arse here. Seriously, would take anything I say technical with a massive bucket of salt. But the general stereotype is that dynamics have more reverberant bass and longer/(accurate) decay due to the nature of them being as such. Also longer bandwidth as with BAs they do take a bit to stretch out (look at Rin's charts on the PFE012 and ER4 - they extend, but at the cost of higher THD and other areas) which is why you see a lot of multi-BA sets with crossovers. Also why people get all hung up about Hybrid BA + dynamic units as they fall for the stereotype (that is true to an extent) of the dynamics drivers doing texture and decay and timbre accuracy better so as to allocate them for bass, while BAs are coined as being "clearer and punchier and more technical (as well as functioning well completely sealed - which leads to no vents which leads to isolation). 

Driver count is a bit meaningless as long as implementation is taken into account. One can screw up a high-driver count setup just as bad (and in some cases this happens more frequently as well)

Quote:
No.
I'm not sure what model are (were those supplied with the Philips mp3 player to my brother), closely resemble the Philips SHE7005/00).

Today I have tried these headphones similar to Philips SHE7005/00, I do not get on well with the In Ear, and then the mid frequence a bit too open, annoying.

I would buy the headphone. I like to have powerful bass, deep, extensive and not with mid frequence annoying.

I think the Creative Aurvana Live headphones are that do it for me, what do you think?

The CAL!s are nicely warm and bass-emphasized but they might not have the bombastic punch or power you might be looking for. If you want you could try them out in order to establish a baseline reference but otherwise would look at sets like the HP700 or the Q40s more.

Quote:
In that case, have you tried the JVC HA-S400? I want to know how it compares to the HA-S500 directly, and if it's worth twice the money. The S500 should be objectively better because it's the next step up, but that doesn't always end up being the case and I haven't been able to find any reliable head-to-head comparisons of the two. Thanks for all your help, by the way :)

More treble is all that I recall. And perhaps a faster leading edge in transients as well as detailing but that could all have been caused by the treble.

Quote:
I have gotten to the point to where I am sick of getting cheap earphones that will break in 4-5 months. I want a good pair of earphones. I would only pay up to 150$. I cannot tell you what sound signature I like because I don't know about that kind of stuff. the only thing I can tell you all is that I listen to stuff like tool, Alice in chains, anthrax, deft ones, rage against the machine,megadeth. I also listen to old rap like big l, and gangstarr and etc. so.. what kind of earphones should I get?

You can refer to this post to establish sound descriptions - 
Quote:
Genres are helpful, but we all like different presentations of our genres. Stating sound preferences would be immensely more helpful in the long run. You can find a nice list of terms in the H-F glossary, but would advise against picking and choosing any term that seems appealing because in the end they might really conflicts with one another.

Describing sound is difficult to get into at first, but it makes giving recommendation a much simpler job. Otherwise you have people throwing out random suggestions for the only things they've heard, without much specification on what you might actually be looking for. A massive medley of choices can be just as confusing despite however helpful it might seem at first.
Frequency ranges and their relevance towards practical music listening - 

(Interactive version here - http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm)
Highs = treble
Lows = Bass
Among other technicalities - would give the glossary another read if you're still confused.

Quote:

Sound preferences? Comfort, isolation, build? Genres are helpful but we all enjoy different presentations. Just see the above response.

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #4,074 of 5,364
With a budget of 300 CAD and below, I'm looking for a pair of IEMs with a sound signature that emphasizes the midrange with the bass not being bloated or over the top. If anything, a bass like the SRH840 is enough for me; maybe a tad more articulate. For the midrange, I'd like one that is engaging and smooth, being able to bring out the vocals of a song. I'm not too picky when it comes to the trebles. My ears are sensitive to high frequencies nor does the music I listen to really lean towards the high end. In terms of the other technicalities, there is nothing too specific, I would prefer a soundstage that isn't too narrow. Although I mentioned my budget in Canadian currency, I will most likely be purchasing the headphones from Hong Kong, if not from an online vendor. Thanks in advance.

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #4,075 of 5,364
Done the previous responses - post #4075

Quote:
With a budget of 300 CAD and below, I'm looking for a pair of IEMs with a sound signature that emphasizes the midrange with the bass not being bloated or over the top. If anything, a bass like the SRH840 is enough for me; maybe a tad more articulate. For the midrange, I'd like one that is engaging and smooth, being able to bring out the vocals of a song. I'm not too picky when it comes to the trebles. My ears are sensitive to high frequencies nor does the music I listen to really lean towards the high end. In terms of the other technicalities, there is nothing too specific, I would prefer a soundstage that isn't too narrow. Although I mentioned my budget in Canadian currency, I will most likely be purchasing the headphones from Hong Kong, if not from an online vendor. Thanks in advance.

<$300, midrange emphasis, articulate bass, smooth, not too much treble - definitely check out the eQ-5s, they seem to fit all off the criteria with amazing accuracy. Almost as if you've subconsciously heard them before. Tactile bass with immense detailing, the MAs at work is a sight to be seen...well heard I guess. Mids are smooth, linear and clean, absolutely breathtaking. Almost as if planar sound was being embodied in an IEM.

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #4,076 of 5,364
Quote:
The CAL!s are nicely warm and bass-emphasized but they might not have the bombastic punch or power you might be looking for. If you want you could try them out in order to establish a baseline reference but otherwise would look at sets like the HP700 or the Q40s more.

Thank you
smile.gif

Unfortunately, the headphones that you say they cost much more than the CAL (I pay 50 € in the promotion).

There are also Sony XB500 they should have some nice bass!

Under 50 € (about 65 $) there are other headphones?

Bye

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #4,077 of 5,364
Quote:
Tight, punchy bass, female vocals - the S500s are much more punchy in comparison to the Beyers (which can get a bit boomy although the quantity itself doesn't really call for it - what it really does nicely is the mids). Not to mention the upper mids on the S500s give a nice emphasis for female vocals, sometimes a bit uneven but there are mods aplenty on the main thread.

For the adapter thing - pretty much a TRRS vs TRS deal - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)

$100-130, isolates, good build, mic/remote headset functionality, punchy, clear treble, warmth - well first off I really have to say THANK YOU for stating your criteria in such a detailed and clear way - absolutely exemplary!

Otherwise you really are describing the A161p in their entirety - mic/remote, punchy mid-bass with balance and slight warmth, oh-so-clear in most regards. The shells are small as well as the nozzle so you can insert them quite deep. Pretty much fits the criteria to a T. I'd give more alternatives as per usual but these really fit the bill to the point where I have to just scream and point at these.

Oh that or the PFE012 if you mind no warranty due to the shop closing and fidgeting with tips as these are rather shallow, fits the profile sound wise as well, with perhaps an even clearer treble. Mic/remote, etc, etc.

Thank you for helping, I've looked into them and they seem quite good. Also shipping isnt a real problem, for about 8 bucks they can be shipped to the Netherlands. I do wonder how they are compared to my current pair, the CX300 II. To get a better idea of how the A161P is. Do you have any experience with the CX300II ?

Also, I do really care about the warranty due to my experiences with the CX300II where I had to return them three times. So the PFE012 isnt really an option.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #4,079 of 5,364
Im new here, and so dont know if this is a stupid one to ask.
I am only looking at these two(klipsch s4 vs Ath cks77) after reading forums here, and want an under $100 iem. My main requirement is of loud music like that of s4 or even better and ear bleeding bass. I already have a klipsch image s4 which I broke, so just need to know whether i should just buy another one or Ath cks-77?? Or the even betr Ath cks-99

Please I have a limited time to make my choice!

Apr 30, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #4,080 of 5,364
Quote:
Done the previous responses - post #4075

<$300, midrange emphasis, articulate bass, smooth, not too much treble - definitely check out the eQ-5s, they seem to fit all off the criteria with amazing accuracy. Almost as if you've subconsciously heard them before. Tactile bass with immense detailing, the MAs at work is a sight to be seen...well heard I guess. Mids are smooth, linear and clean, absolutely breathtaking. Almost as if planar sound was being embodied in an IEM.

Thanks for the suggestion. The eQ-5s, according to your description of their sound signature, definitely seems to be what I'm looking for. The IEM shape seems to be different from the usual, how is the comfort level on these? I'm also worried I may not be able to find them in Hong Kong. Is there a trusted, online vendor (that can ship to Canada or HK) that you'd recommend? On the other hand, I've heard great feedback on the RE-262, especially the midrange. How would these two compare? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back