Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 19, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #3,841 of 5,364
Quote:
Would keep it simple and stick to researching a few options rather than overload your head off the bat. Despite being able to get suggestions here it's always helpful/advised that people do some in-depth research as well, before plunging in on a buy (reading the impressions/appreciation thread, etc). 

TBH I mostly listen to ballads and K-indie/oldies in terms of Korean music. But for modern stuff either the Ortos or the TDKs would be very much sufferable. 

yep thats why i tried to make it as few as possible.

maybe i should research deeper as well. and btw thanks for your recommend, really appreciate that :D

i guess i should auditioned more IEM, and make maximum 5 choices before decide to buy.

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #3,842 of 5,364
hey guys.
Has anyone done a comparison between fitear tg334 and tralucent 1+2? Both are gorgeous headphones and I may only choose one due to shortage of funds. I dont want to plug them into any amps since I intend to use them when I am outside like bus, train or gym. Which one sounds better just with IPC?? I mainly listen to pop, rock and heavy metal songs. I know only a few people have these two headphones, so If you happen to own them please tell me how you feel towards them. I really cant deicide...

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #3,843 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm so stuck on you and the BA200s it's hard for me to wrap my head around anything else being an alternative :p

But to be serious, would take the eQ-5s over the older model for obvious reasons. Very tactile and beautiful mids. Only problem would have been the treble, stage width, comfort. Otherwise they do their thing and they do it quite well. CK100s are well known for being picky and transparent with everything across the chain. Mids are great but the bass punch isn't as enjoyable as say the other two.

Not sure if you would classify the eQ5 as having a lack of stage width if you're coming from the TF10; agree on the treble though, especially compared to the TF10 (which is more v-shaped and seems to extend better). The EQ5 definitely has a sweet touch to it in the mids that makes it nice for jazz, though I can't compare to the BA200's. Take my comments therefore with a grain of salt.. :wink:

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #3,844 of 5,364
Quote:
hey guys.
Has anyone done a comparison between fitear tg334 and tralucent 1+2? Both are gorgeous headphones and I may only choose one due to shortage of funds. I dont want to plug them into any amps since I intend to use them when I am outside like bus, train or gym. Which one sounds better just with IPC?? I mainly listen to pop, rock and heavy metal songs. I know only a few people have these two headphones, so If you happen to own them please tell me how you feel towards them. I really cant deicide...

Might get a sort listen to the Tralucents during the meet, but nothing serious enough that I'd feel comfortable giving recommendations with. There are some very nice comparisons on the 1Plus2 thread, I'll try and find the links but you should definitely check it out. Lee's review has a short portion dedicated to comparing the two if I remember correctly. TG334 vs 1Plus2 is the first thing that comes to mind for most people when comparisons come up so I'm sure you'll have plenty to sift through.

Quote:
Not sure if you would classify the eQ5 as having a lack of stage width if you're coming from the TF10; agree on the treble though, especially compared to the TF10 (which is more v-shaped and seems to extend better). The EQ5 definitely has a sweet touch to it in the mids that makes it nice for jazz, though I can't compare to the BA200's. Take my comments therefore with a grain of salt.. :wink:

The TF10s are definitely more about depth and "fake" (as I like to call it) width from slightly exaggerated separation due to the note presentation being a bit sparse on denser tracks. The TDKs boast immensely impressive width overall so by comparison even the above-average performers feel a bit lacking.

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #3,846 of 5,364
Let me know if there is a better place to ask this question...buy I looked around and couldn't find anything that was a better fit...

My question is this would I be better off (more bang for my buck long term) to buy some new IEMs or to get an fiio amp like the e17 or e07k?

I'm pretty new to this but think I really am an iem guy vs full size. I've got a couple pairs of full size and am not blown away by them..I tend to prefer my fairly low end IEMs over my full size phones. But wondering if an amp would make the big difference. Or if getting upgraded IEM would make me happier.

Of course if I got the amp I could have it for any future iem or full size needs.

I have an extra $100-$200 dollars I'm able spend on some gear right now so I want to make the most of it. Any advice on new iem vs amp, or even a combo that would be good for me is really appreciated..

My music listening goes something like this: 40% R&B, 30% Hip Hop, 30% Rock/Folk/Alternative/other. I like bass, but not at all at the expense of being able to hear the rest of the music and vocal (I am assuming my main interest is clean rich mids)...and the bass a prefer is the deep rumble vs the punchy.
Source: Iphone4, , Ipad, computer.

Thanks!

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #3,848 of 5,364
Quote:
legit sources to buy gr04s from?

http://www.amazon.com/VSONIC-GR04-Standard-Noise-Isolating-Headphones/dp/B009POK1PQ
I used one on eBay but can't remember the link. Heard good things about the one above. Micca is well...they're also a well know FiiO distributor on HF.
Quote:
Let me know if there is a better place to ask this question...buy I looked around and couldn't find anything that was a better fit...

My question is this would I be better off (more bang for my buck long term) to buy some new IEMs or to get an fiio amp like the e17 or e07k?

I'm pretty new to this but think I really am an iem guy vs full size. I've got a couple pairs of full size and am not blown away by them..I tend to prefer my fairly low end IEMs over my full size phones. But wondering if an amp would make the big difference. Or if getting upgraded IEM would make me happier.

Of course if I got the amp I could have it for any future iem or full size needs.

I have an extra $100-$200 dollars I'm able spend on some gear right now so I want to make the most of it. Any advice on new iem vs amp, or even a combo that would be good for me is really appreciated..

My music listening goes something like this: 40% R&B, 30% Hip Hop, 30% Rock/Folk/Alternative/other. I like bass, but not at all at the expense of being able to hear the rest of the music and vocal (I am assuming my main interest is clean rich mids)...and the bass a prefer is the deep rumble vs the punchy.

Thanks!

A good rule of thumb is to always upgrade transducers rather than sources. Driver upgrades are usually more substantial and less controversial (though not always) than amp upgrades.

Personal bias as I don't care for using portable amps so take with a grain of salt. 

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #3,849 of 5,364
Quote:

Thanks!

HM5 will benefit, but with extra $200 dollar, I would say you should go for a new pair of iem or headphone. None of your headphones really need an amp, although they will benefit from it.

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #3,850 of 5,364
Quote:
ahahaha little desperate here to find BA 200 *sigh

ebay is your friend
wink.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TDK-BA200-High-Texture-Dual-Balanced-Armature-In-Ear-Earphone-Headphones-BA-200-/290777331712?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item43b3adf800

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #3,851 of 5,364
Hi, I was looking to get a simple IEM gift for someone I know. I have a budget of 20-30 dollars. He has a habit of breaking headphones ( he broke plenty of skullcandies) so long-term durability is (very very) important. I was looking at the M6/M9 but the reviews I saw for them were quite dated, so I was curious if there were any new "groundbreaking" budget IEMS like those two, for a similar price. He tends to listen to mostly Pop and some Alternative, so some bass might suit him well.

Thanks.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #3,852 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi, I was looking to get a simple IEM gift for someone I know. I have a budget of 20-30 dollars. He has a habit of breaking headphones ( he broke plenty of skullcandies) so long-term durability is (very very) important. I was looking at the M6/M9 but the reviews I saw for them were quite dated, so I was curious if there were any new "groundbreaking" budget IEMS like those two, for a similar price. He tends to listen to mostly Pop and some Alternative, so some bass might suit him well.

Thanks.

Durable, under 30, bass - the M6/9s aren't that outdated despite how fast the market seems to be improving. Their crowning achievement would still be the really rugged plastic shells and amazing cable. You simply don't get that sort of build very often. And they have ample midbass so if durability is the utmost priority....

Otherwise for sound you could also look at the GR02/GR99, nice bass, former is mid-bassy and lush while latter is subbass heavy, dark and aggressive notes. Build - plastic isn't as thick as the M6 but should hold up fairly well.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #3,853 of 5,364
Hi, new here and accidentally started a new thread until I saw this thread 
dt880smile.png
 I'm considering which new headphones to get and am in the preliminary stage of deciding (deciding whether to get NC or non-NC). I purchased my first pair of 'expensive' headphones around 3 years ago, the AKG K28NC which I believe might have been AKG's first iteration of noise cancelling. I have been very satisfied with the sound when NC is turned off but the earpads have worn and replacement pad seems rather expensive (30% of the headphone's rrp if from AKG).. hence thinking of getting something new.

From my limited understanding of headphones, and having been a happy customer of AKG, I have been considering AKG's K490NC, K495NC as well as wanting to compare the NCs and non-NCs of similar price. For example the K550 and K702 seem to have a similar price to the K495NCs and have stellar reviews and comments from users. At the same time the K490NC seem to have many happy users too (plus most people tend to suggest getting the 490NC over the 495NC. 

At the moment I tend to lean towards getting an NC pair as my K28NC worked wonders on the plane trips. I don't fly too often, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. but since the earpads have worn to the extent they fall off... I've flew a few times without these NC headphones and the flight experience was drastically different. Which is why I think NC headphones bring about a sort of flexibility if I want the function. I note in the thread I started I was suggested IEMs but I do not want to consider those at this stage as I've have a pair before and didn't like the feeling of wearing them. 

Anyway, so I'm wondering for a similarly priced pair of NC and non-NC headphones, how big is the difference in sound (assuming NC function is turned off on the NC-capable pair)? I was curious whether the difference was enough for me to forgo having NC headphones on flights for a better experience at home. I don't listen to music on daily commutes so it's really either for the home or for air travel. 

I don't own amplifiers at the moment. In terms of music I usually listen to pop (vocal) and a splash of orchestral (I like the sound of stringed instruments especially violin, cello and a bit of non-electric guitar) as well as bits of piano. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any store with the AKG 490NC or 495NC for testing (I'm in Hong Kong). 

Thanks!

edit: I also don't quite know how to tell the difference between a K550 and K702 in terms of intended audience given the price is very close to each other.. I've read comments about "sound signature"? 
and the original thread I made.. http://www.head-fi.org/t/660355/choosing-an-akg-headphone-k490nc-k495nc-compared-with-k550-k701-or-others#post_9365051

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #3,854 of 5,364
Quote:
dt880smile.png
 I'm considering which new headphones to get and am in the preliminary stage of deciding (deciding whether to get NC or non-NC). I purchased my first pair of 'expensive' headphones around 3 years ago, the AKG K28NC which I believe might have been AKG's first iteration of noise cancelling. I have been very satisfied with the sound when NC is turned off but the earpads have worn and replacement pad seems rather expensive (30% of the headphone's rrp if from AKG).. hence thinking of getting something new.

From my limited understanding of headphones, and having been a happy customer of AKG, I have been considering AKG's K490NC, K495NC as well as wanting to compare the NCs and non-NCs of similar price. For example the K550 and K702 seem to have a similar price to the K495NCs and have stellar reviews and comments from users. At the same time the K490NC seem to have many happy users too (plus most people tend to suggest getting the 490NC over the 495NC. 

At the moment I tend to lean towards getting an NC pair as my K28NC worked wonders on the plane trips. I don't fly too often, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. but since the earpads have worn to the extent they fall off... I've flew a few times without these NC headphones and the flight experience was drastically different. Which is why I think NC headphones bring about a sort of flexibility if I want the function. I note in the thread I started I was suggested IEMs but I do not want to consider those at this stage as I've have a pair before and didn't like the feeling of wearing them. 

Anyway, so I'm wondering for a similarly priced pair of NC and non-NC headphones, how big is the difference in sound (assuming NC function is turned off on the NC-capable pair)? I was curious whether the difference was enough for me to forgo having NC headphones on flights for a better experience at home. I don't listen to music on daily commutes so it's really either for the home or for air travel. 

I don't own amplifiers at the moment. In terms of music I usually listen to pop (vocal) and a bit of orchestral (I like the sound of stringed instruments especially violin, cello and a bit of guitar) as well as bits of piano. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any store with the AKG 490NC or 495NC for testing (I'm in Hong Kong). 

Thanks!

Usually circuitry will mess things up and they delibrately tun them to sound awful without the ANC activated (this trend is slowly starting to disappear with stuff like the UEs and the MDR-1RNCs). At this point would look at either of those especially if comfort is being factored in (otherwise I would tout the elitist card and say to go for passive isolating monsters like the on-ear HD25s). The K490s are decent, in fact very decent for NC headphones, but in the grand scheme of things loses out in terms of cleanliness against the usual offerings. 

Not sure of the budget, and this is rather unconventional, but have you considered the QC15s? The sound isn't all that bad and the NC destroys most other implementations. 

Thanks!

edit: I also don't quite know how to tell the difference between a K550 and K702 in terms of intended audience given the price is very close to each other.. I've read comments about "sound signature"? 
and the original thread I made.. http://www.head-fi.org/t/660355/choosing-an-akg-headphone-k490nc-k495nc-compared-with-k550-k701-or-others#post_9365051

Sound is...well, different. I'd check out the measurements on some other sites (CS, Goldenears) to get a general idea of their "sound signature "but the open-back and closed-back thing does significantly impact the whole scenario. In a nutshell upper mids are a bit more prominent as well as warmth, on the K550s. And staging lacks the lateral size, accurate positioning, depth.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #3,855 of 5,364

dt880smile.png

I don't own amplifiers at the moment. In terms of music I usually listen to pop (vocal) and a splash of orchestral (I like the sound of stringed instruments especially violin, cello and a bit of non-electric guitar) as well as bits of piano. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any store with the AKG 490NC or 495NC for testing (I'm in Hong Kong). 

Thanks!

Hello hiki08,
I'm also somewhat new here even though I've been following the forum for some time. From what I understand a non-NC and NC headphone in the same price range, the non-NC should be able to provide better sound than a NC version. If you are worried about noise leaking in and don't need the NC then I would suggest looking at just closed back headphones as they will have some noise isolation (this could be very little to moderate depending on the headphone). Which stores have you looked to test them? Did you check out the places that are listed in the HK thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back