Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #3,676 of 5,364
Quote:
Interesting option. Though, I don't like the idea of having a third devince on board.

Also, that would require me to completely dump my research of BT headphones 
ksc75smile.gif

TBH they're all pretty poor sound-wise. 

Even the decent-sounding ones like the Phiatons are essentially an IEM attached to an adapter. Except in their case it's bundled in a proprietary sense. So the  physical difference are negligible.

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #3,678 of 5,364
Looking for some portable closed cans or IEM's in the 300 or less range. For the closed cans they need to be relatively portable, but comfy.
I like the sound signature of the hd 25 1 ii, but they look and feel terrible on me. I was underwhelmed with the dt1350s.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #3,679 of 5,364
Quote:
Looking for some portable closed cans or IEM's in the 300 or less range. For the closed cans they need to be relatively portable, but comfy.
I like the sound signature of the hd 25 1 ii, but they look and feel terrible on me. I was underwhelmed with the dt1350s.

TF10's maybe?

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #3,684 of 5,364
Quote:

I should have said I have no frame of reference for IEMs compared to cans, I have the se215 and that's it for IEM. How does the TF10 compare to the hd 25s or momentums?

Something with a similar sig, pretty much the TF10s would be similar. Punch with some emphasis, mids are clear and pulled back, still aggressive notes, treble sparkle (but the TF10s are slightly smoother). Of course clarity-wise, still find the FXD80 to be a bit better. A bit more V-shaped though.

Quote:
what's the best non-BT sports related headphones then? 

and what do you think of Jaybird Bluebuds X?

Mids on the Jaybirds weren't all that great. And the back hook is just weird for my head.

Don't really need to go look at a sports-related headphone, most can be worn over the ear, and the criteria for what would be considered to be "sport-related" is rather vague.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #3,685 of 5,364
Quote:
Detail, clarity, treble, <200 - really does sound like the HD-25-1 or the HP100s. The former is more aggressive (and isolates a lot as a plus) sounding, with more treble presence. The latter is smoother but just as clear and detailed. If you can find a decent used price or sale on the SRH940, they would work as well.

Thanks, really appreciate your recommendations. However, may I know whether a complete setup of a pair of headphones and an amp in this price range ($200) is possible? I don't know for sure if an amp would make so much of a difference to headphones this range. Do I really need an amp to maximise the capability of, say, HD 25-1 II? If so, what are your suggestions? 

Thank you!

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #3,687 of 5,364
Quote:
Yes, the S4s are fairly underperforming by today's standards.
Anyways, onto the comparisons. 
1) Very different sound sig from the S4, treble is greatly subdued, very little presence. Bass and mids are muddled together, a very warm and gooey sound, almost excessive at times. Okay if you want a bassy-ish/extremely forgiving sig, but even then something like the M2 would do all of that with much more refinement and gusto. Not worth it IMO.

2) The Sonys are just as bassy, perhaps more so, but depth is much better, soundstage is actually impressive and coherent, mids and treble are also not as bad. In fact they'd be fairly good all things considered. Of course the J-cord and horrible cable are a problem indeed. Much worse than it would seem at first glance as well. Extremely microphonic, tangles, feels weird to the touch, and no chance to wear them over-the-ear style. Pricing is strange, but have seen a lot of UKers go for the £15 one. Would look at the ebay dealers as well, in this case pretty reputable.

3) E10M would be my rec out of the lot. Great, punchy bass with leaner and less excessive notes than the other two, treble has sparkle, pretty clear overall, and the mic is a plus. Also usability factor is above and beyond the rest as well. Definitely look at these ones harder. For the price, can't think of a mic-ed set that fits your needs better.

4) The more balanced and mid-forward cousin of the E10M. Would still go with the E10M in this case :p

Thanks so much for your speedy reply. Looks like it's between the Sony and the E10. Assuming I go for the £15 Sony one over the more expensive but seemingly identical variant, that's quite a difference in price compared with the near £45 E10M.

Also, in terms of fit/comfort etc, is there one of the two that is supposed to be a lot better than the other (on average)? The one thing that struck me about the E10 from reviews is that they look kinda 'large' in the driver area. Also, I've seen reviews saying the microphone and control unit is a bit sucky so I could save £10 maybe and go for the regular version.

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #3,688 of 5,364
Mmmm cant really get them here in the UK....any other suggestions?

Do you have to have noise cancelling or do you just want good isolation? Do you care if you would get IEMs? maybe look into the ATH ANC series. I know they have a pretty wide selection.
If you would be fine with IEMs, read ljokerls comparison. I recently had a couple flights with my monster turbines with tri flange tips, and even sitting at the very back of the plane a lot of the engine roar was blocked out (maybe 65+%, about a a good as it's gonna get) if you don't mind bass that's a tad light, maybe look etymotic.

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #3,689 of 5,364
And let me give a hint to people posting in this thread looking for recommendations, keep it short and sweet. We don't have time to read paragraphs upon paragraphs explaining your situation. This isn't directed at anyone, just the community as a whole. Keeping it to a paragraph or less will probably get you more answers.

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #3,690 of 5,364
Hi Everyone, ( I am not sure which topic is more relevant so I posted this one also to the shootout:104.... topic)
This is my first post on headfi. I feel a little bit lost in many posts and I want to ask your opinion.

I have some good set up for my home hifi system but the WAF (wife acceptance factor) of my favorite music (Metallica to Deep Purple, Country to Glam Rock) is not very good and I need headphones.

I am using senheisser CX300 in ears for sometime but I need better headphones. I will buy one IEM and around 150USD I made my choice for yamaha eph100 as there are good reviews on headfi.

I also want on ears and I want one closed and one open on ear headphone. My budget will be around 300USD for two of them and I narrowed my choices for closed one to Senn HD25 1-II (200USD.amazon) but I am not sure about the open ones I tried AKG 420 in a local shop few days a a part and first time I thought they are incredible but one week later I thought they are somewhat muddy. 
What do you think about my IEM and closed choices and what do you suggest for a open one (grados may be)

Secondly do you think I will like the senns and will not want to use open ones.

Thirdly I am thinking of buying a fiio E12, will it help to improve the sound quality for the above mentioned headphones. Iphone 4, possibly Samsung S4 will be the sources. I will be looking for a dedicated mp3 player also but not sure yet. Ipod classic vs sAnsa.

Thanks for the answers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back