Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 6, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #3,661 of 5,364
Hi. I'm looking for some new IEMs after the right earbud of my Image S4s has died. I've had them for about 3 years now, and they have served me fairly well. However, I realise after doing research that they were overpriced (though I used a gift voucher so it wasn't my money as such) and just reading the forums here gives you the picture that they really aren't that great. I reckon the problem with them is to do with loose wiring and I could probably attempt to fix it in future, but with low price IEMs being supposedly so good these days, I want to try something different, especially since I feel like since I'm used to the S4, I'll be pleased with most alternatives :wink:

What I like about the S4:
  1. Comfort. I have pretty small ear canals and having previously had Sennheiser CX300 which sounded decent but could never get a proper seal, the S4s were a breath of fresh air. I use the double flange tips and I don't even realise they're there mostly

What I don't like:
  1. Well, I'm kinda used to the sound to be fair after using them for so long, but I do remember that they cost about 3 times as much as the previous Sony and Sennheiser phones I used to use and sounded about the same really.

I primarily listen to music via my HTC Sensation these days, so it would be nice (but not essential) if I can find a set with a microphone. I'm not well versed enough in audio stuff to describe the EQ stuff that I need really. I mainly listen to progressive metal and jazz, and I find myself on the phone with S4 (and on my computer through speakers to be honest) to set the EQ to a sort of U shape with higher bass and treble and slightly scooped mids. So I guess that's probably how I like my music to sound!

I've done a bit of research here and elsewhere on the web, and have found 4 contenders (I don't want to spend much more than £40):

1. Brainwavz R1 (with mic)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Dynamic-Speaker-Earphones-Smartphones/dp/B009UO26B8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365264055&sr=8-2&keywords=brainwavz+r1

These seem amazing for the money - how are they compared to the S4?

2. Sony MH1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Headset-MH-1C-SmartKey-Control/dp/B008BRAQJO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365264111&sr=8-2&keywords=mh1c
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MH1-Wired-Smart-Headset/dp/B007M0J2H8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1365264111&sr=8-4&keywords=mh1c

I'm a bit confused with the Sony - there's a few that look identical but are hugely different in price. Neither of these are the older Sony Ericsson ones it seems so I don't understand why one is £15 and one is nearly £45. Also, the cord looks like it could be annoying.

3. SoundMAGIC E10M
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SoundMAGIC-E10M-Isolating-Earphones-Apple/dp/B0075LFKI4/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365264369&sr=1-8&keywords=e10

4. SoundMAGIC E30
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soundmagic-E30-BK-SoundMAGIC-E30-Earphones/dp/B005HJ38OO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365264452&sr=1-1&keywords=e30

To be brief: I want something that sounds 'better' and a bit more lively (I know it's subjective!) than the S4 but still fits and seals as well in my small ears.

Thanks a lot!

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #3,663 of 5,364
I'm willing to shell out cash for this.. around 200-300 bucks maybe? Gym is like the only place where I have time to enjoy music. So I'm ready to pay. I'm done with wires, not an option for me. 

I have read literally every review on CNET - it appears that all wireless headphones have serious downsides regardless of price. For example, Jaybird Bluebuds X seemed appealing at first, but then I read how many people have issues with getting a tight fit. 

I don't know anything about wireless IEMs, but the only wireless headphones I can think of that are decent sized for the gym would be Beats... that may be your only option unless you don't mind a big bulky pair.
Would a pair with a detachable cable work for you? I can't imagine why anyone would want a wireless headphone do bad

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #3,664 of 5,364
I am just going to ask this question here because I am kind of lost. I have ALO's The National paired with my iPod Classic and I have been comparing the DT 1356 and HD25-1 II. I listen to almost exclusively jazz and classical and the DT 1350 seems to be better for these genres. I've read that the DT 1350 has much better mids and is considered a sort of jazz and classical headphone and the HD25-1 has more emphasis on bass and less mids. Recommendations?

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #3,665 of 5,364
Thanks for the suggestion TwinQY! The GR01 will probably be perfect
beyersmile.png

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #3,666 of 5,364
Quote:
I am just going to ask this question here because I am kind of lost. I have ALO's The National paired with my iPod Classic and I have been comparing the DT 1356 and HD25-1 II. I listen to almost exclusively jazz and classical and the DT 1350 seems to be better for these genres. I've read that the DT 1350 has much better mids and is considered a sort of jazz and classical headphone and the HD25-1 has more emphasis on bass and less mids. Recommendations?

DT1350 is good for jazz. It has bit awkward mid coloration, but once you are used to it, you will actually like it.

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #3,667 of 5,364
Quote:
I don't know anything about wireless IEMs, but the only wireless headphones I can think of that are decent sized for the gym would be Beats... that may be your only option unless you don't mind a big bulky pair.
Would a pair with a detachable cable work for you? I can't imagine why anyone would want a wireless headphone do bad

I don't really know much, but go to headphone.com and go to wireless section. You do have plenty of options.

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #3,670 of 5,364
Hey, I'm new to the forums, but have lurked quite a bit due to the great input the community has on a bunch of music products. I've been trying to find the answer to this question, but I cant seem to get one: 

Can I replace the drivers on my HD-25 II Sennheisers for the Amperior's drivers? Will my curly copper cable still work with them? I think it'd be cheaper to just buy the drivers and replace the old ones than buy the whole set all together. If I shouldn't let me know why. 

Thanks!

Apr 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #3,671 of 5,364
I'm willing to shell out cash for this.. around 200-300 bucks maybe? Gym is like the only place where I have time to enjoy music. So I'm ready to pay. I'm done with wires, not an option for me. 

I have read literally every review on CNET - it appears that all wireless headphones have serious downsides regardless of price. For example, Jaybird Bluebuds X seemed appealing at first, but then I read how many people have issues with getting a tight fit. 

Its a little off from what you're looking for, but have you considered a full head mounted rig instead of wireless cans? The apple ipod shuffle or sandisk sansa clip are tiny and can easily clip to your headband, leaving no dangling wires. You can even get a tiny clip on amp if you need more power. This would open up a world of headphone options and you wouldn't have to worry about ruining your good phone/player.

Apr 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #3,672 of 5,364
Quote:
Bassy-ish, treble, mic/control, all-rounder - Not a lot of choices headphone wise asides from maybe the LP2, but for IEMs, the UE700 or CKS99I would fit the criteria relatively. Comfort is a bit more iffy on the ATs, but bass simply does not hit as hard on the UE700s. The remote factor is limiting choices here.

Well, if that is the limiting factor I could always buy the extra control separate (If this won't cause any issues) Only issues is I will have extra length on the cord, and in the gym this may not be ideal. Which would you recommend for control and headphones if we can get a set without the control. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #3,673 of 5,364
Quote:
looking for portable headphones for tablet and iphone use....Looking for stylish (like audio technical a900x)...want good NC and looking into an amp (how is the Fiio e11?)...

Please help me choose now guys...I have been on this forum for days and not getting as much info as I thought......I wouldn't be so abrupt , but im going on a flight soon and im looking for a great set to take my mind of the flight....

Any great suggestions?...up to $220/£160....

If you're in a hurry and don't care too much about sound atm, why not look at the HD25-1? Great clarity, tight clamp so passive isolation goes above and beyond a lot of other headphones. IEM-level isolation really. The Adidas version has decent "style" as well, I guess. Something like the DT1350 would look more like the AT's modern-ish style, and they're supposed to isolate similarly to the HD25-1 (don't quote me on the as I haven't heard the Beyers yet). And of course the UE6000/9000 for ANC, wireless, call features.

Quote:
looking for bluetooth headphones for mostly gym/sprots activities. bass-powerful and staying tight! 

any design (in ear/over ear) will do. as much noise isolation as possible.

Please help!

One way to go, without having to depend on the exclusive bluetooth headsets, would be to get a 3.5 to 2.5mm adapter, and feed pretty much any headphone/IEM through a bluetooth dongle. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Stereo-Clip-On-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B0057WWK5E, or something similar. Same SQ and usability factor as with any other wireless headset.

Bass-powerful, isolates a lot, sounds like the EPH-100, in terms of regular IEMs.

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm pretty new here. I've had some experience with Denon AH-D550 and now am looking for a headphone upgrade (mostly for home use). My music is usually indie rock/pop, I also listen to metal but usually those songs with clean vocal. Emphasis is on detail and treble, though some clear presence of bass would be nice. I still haven't decided whether to go with any amp, so it's up to you guys to suggest a setup for me. Anyway, budget is ~200USD. Thanks!

Edit: Isolation is not a real concern but I'd prefer if there is any 'cos I'm sharing the room with my friend.

Detail, clarity, treble, <200 - really does sound like the HD-25-1 or the HP100s. The former is more aggressive (and isolates a lot as a plus) sounding, with more treble presence. The latter is smoother but just as clear and detailed. If you can find a decent used price or sale on the SRH940, they would work as well.

Quote:
Hi. I'm looking for some new IEMs after the right earbud of my Image S4s has died. I've had them for about 3 years now, and they have served me fairly well. However, I realise after doing research that they were overpriced (though I used a gift voucher so it wasn't my money as such) and just reading the forums here gives you the picture that they really aren't that great. I reckon the problem with them is to do with loose wiring and I could probably attempt to fix it in future, but with low price IEMs being supposedly so good these days, I want to try something different, especially since I feel like since I'm used to the S4, I'll be pleased with most alternatives :wink:

What I like about the S4:
  1. Comfort. I have pretty small ear canals and having previously had Sennheiser CX300 which sounded decent but could never get a proper seal, the S4s were a breath of fresh air. I use the double flange tips and I don't even realise they're there mostly

What I don't like:
  1. Well, I'm kinda used to the sound to be fair after using them for so long, but I do remember that they cost about 3 times as much as the previous Sony and Sennheiser phones I used to use and sounded about the same really.

I primarily listen to music via my HTC Sensation these days, so it would be nice (but not essential) if I can find a set with a microphone. I'm not well versed enough in audio stuff to describe the EQ stuff that I need really. I mainly listen to progressive metal and jazz, and I find myself on the phone with S4 (and on my computer through speakers to be honest) to set the EQ to a sort of U shape with higher bass and treble and slightly scooped mids. So I guess that's probably how I like my music to sound!

I've done a bit of research here and elsewhere on the web, and have found 4 contenders (I don't want to spend much more than £40):

1. Brainwavz R1 (with mic)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Dynamic-Speaker-Earphones-Smartphones/dp/B009UO26B8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365264055&sr=8-2&keywords=brainwavz+r1

These seem amazing for the money - how are they compared to the S4?

2. Sony MH1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Headset-MH-1C-SmartKey-Control/dp/B008BRAQJO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365264111&sr=8-2&keywords=mh1c
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MH1-Wired-Smart-Headset/dp/B007M0J2H8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1365264111&sr=8-4&keywords=mh1c

I'm a bit confused with the Sony - there's a few that look identical but are hugely different in price. Neither of these are the older Sony Ericsson ones it seems so I don't understand why one is £15 and one is nearly £45. Also, the cord looks like it could be annoying.

3. SoundMAGIC E10M
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SoundMAGIC-E10M-Isolating-Earphones-Apple/dp/B0075LFKI4/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365264369&sr=1-8&keywords=e10

4. SoundMAGIC E30
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soundmagic-E30-BK-SoundMAGIC-E30-Earphones/dp/B005HJ38OO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365264452&sr=1-1&keywords=e30

To be brief: I want something that sounds 'better' and a bit more lively (I know it's subjective!) than the S4 but still fits and seals as well in my small ears.

Thanks a lot!

Yes, the S4s are fairly underperforming by today's standards.
Anyways, onto the comparisons. 
1) Very different sound sig from the S4, treble is greatly subdued, very little presence. Bass and mids are muddled together, a very warm and gooey sound, almost excessive at times. Okay if you want a bassy-ish/extremely forgiving sig, but even then something like the M2 would do all of that with much more refinement and gusto. Not worth it IMO.

2) The Sonys are just as bassy, perhaps more so, but depth is much better, soundstage is actually impressive and coherent, mids and treble are also not as bad. In fact they'd be fairly good all things considered. Of course the J-cord and horrible cable are a problem indeed. Much worse than it would seem at first glance as well. Extremely microphonic, tangles, feels weird to the touch, and no chance to wear them over-the-ear style. Pricing is strange, but have seen a lot of UKers go for the £15 one. Would look at the ebay dealers as well, in this case pretty reputable.

3) E10M would be my rec out of the lot. Great, punchy bass with leaner and less excessive notes than the other two, treble has sparkle, pretty clear overall, and the mic is a plus. Also usability factor is above and beyond the rest as well. Definitely look at these ones harder. For the price, can't think of a mic-ed set that fits your needs better.

4) The more balanced and mid-forward cousin of the E10M. Would still go with the E10M in this case :p

Quote:
Quote:
Bassy-ish, treble, mic/control, all-rounder - Not a lot of choices headphone wise asides from maybe the LP2, but for IEMs, the UE700 or CKS99I would fit the criteria relatively. Comfort is a bit more iffy on the ATs, but bass simply does not hit as hard on the UE700s. The remote factor is limiting choices here.

Well, if that is the limiting factor I could always buy the extra control separate (If this won't cause any issues) Only issues is I will have extra length on the cord, and in the gym this may not be ideal. Which would you recommend for control and headphones if we can get a set without the control. 

Well, strictly speaking the CKS99I might very well be fine enough, not that the choices are bad per say, in fact the CKS99s and UE700 are rather good. But other than stuff like the CKN70 or the FXD80, the other two choices would be fine for simplicity's sake. 

Quote:
Hey, I'm new to the forums, but have lurked quite a bit due to the great input the community has on a bunch of music products. I've been trying to find the answer to this question, but I cant seem to get one: 

Can I replace the drivers on my HD-25 II Sennheisers for the Amperior's drivers? Will my curly copper cable still work with them? I think it'd be cheaper to just buy the drivers and replace the old ones than buy the whole set all together. If I shouldn't let me know why. 

Thanks!

The drivers are the same for the HD25 and Amperior. The change in design was regarding the housing which fixed resonance problems. Otherwise they are identical. Would think that the HD-25 drivers being sold stock would be cheaper than the marked-up drivers for the "newer" model. So you're going to get pretty much the exact same sound and have it cheaper along the way (many of my friends have gotten the HD25 drivers quite cheaply)

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #3,674 of 5,364
Quote:
I don't really know much, but go to headphone.com and go to wireless section. You do have plenty of options.

urgh, not really

Quote:

Isn't recommending Beats on this site forbidden? :))

Seriously, I went through 7 or maybe 8 wired headphones throughout the year. Maybe I'm clumsy but every now and then the wires break, the contacts go bad. I keep re-soldering them, but it's not the solution. Also, I am sick of the wires hanging around. I just want to try wireless this time.

Its a little off from what you're looking for, but have you considered a full head mounted rig instead of wireless cans? The apple ipod shuffle or sandisk sansa clip are tiny and can easily clip to your headband, leaving no dangling wires. You can even get a tiny clip on amp if you need more power. This would open up a world of headphone options and you wouldn't have to worry about ruining your good phone/player.

Thanks, I will look into that, but it will probably be my last resort. I enjoy being accessible by phone

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #3,675 of 5,364
Quote:
I
One way to go, without having to depend on the exclusive bluetooth headsets, would be to get a 3.5 to 2.5mm adapter, and feed pretty much any headphone/IEM through a bluetooth dongle. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Stereo-Clip-On-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B0057WWK5E, or something similar. Same SQ and usability factor as with any other wireless headset.

Bass-powerful, isolates a lot, sounds like the EPH-100, in terms of regular IEMs.

Interesting option. Though, I don't like the idea of having a third devince on board.

Also, that would require me to completely dump my research of BT headphones 
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back