Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #3,646 of 5,364
By the way I forgot to mention that I am searching for over the ear headphones...

while I've never really looked into them, the vmoda m100 are loved around here. they are incredibly durable, and more or less waterproof (I don't advise doing that)

If you don't care about style or closed or open, perhaps the he 400. I've never looked up anything about them either but supposedly really good. I think the v mode m100 would suit you though. perhaps those along with a good amp.

edit:also the ultrasone pro 900 have a lot of bass, but otherwise a very love it hate it sound.

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #3,647 of 5,364
Hello,

I did not read my welcome PM and created this thread in haste:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/658664/adjusting-my-portable-rig-trying-to-get-classic-metal-to-sound-good

Apologies, please move here if possible. But I was also not sure because I was asking about the rig in its entirety (player, iem's and amp). It has been a hassle trying to get classic metal to sound good!

Glad to be posting here as an active member (I have been lurking for close to 5 years now!)

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #3,648 of 5,364
Quote:
340? Here is a way cheaper price for e-Q5 and e-Q7
http://www.musicaacoustics.com/wp/headphones/ortofon-e-q5/
http://www.musicaacoustics.com/wp/headphones/ortofon-e-q7/

Just be prepared to wait, I think they ship via rowboat.  I ordered on March 20 and am still eagerly awaiting my e-q5s in the southwest US. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #3,649 of 5,364
Quote:
Just be prepared to wait, I think they ship via rowboat.  I ordered on March 20 and am still eagerly awaiting my e-q5s in the southwest US. 

rowboat
blink.gif
 really? it takes them that long? did you pay extra $25 for ems?

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #3,650 of 5,364
Quote:

Quote:
Something with a very similarly airy and large stage size would be the EX600/1000. Very airy, treble is not as smooth as the Q701 but mids are just as clean and effortless. Classical with those will most likely blow your brains out with their timbre accuracy. Would be quite a ways different from the ATs.

Originally Posted by nok18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks very much for your help, I'll look into the EX600/1000

From the reviews & impressions on here, it seems these IEM's isolation is a weak point.
I need an IEM with decent isolation, as I will mainly use it on the plane & trains.
Any other suggestions?

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #3,652 of 5,364
Quote:
rowboat
blink.gif
 really? it takes them that long? did you pay extra $25 for ems?

alas, no.  Had I known it would take this long I would have.  Their email stated 5-8 days to the US - it seems like it takes that long to arrive in the country ... plus the USPS time I am gathering.  It is international shipping after all (Japan to US), I've experienced delays before when I've ordered overseas from other countries.  I know they're a respected online vendor so I'll just give it time

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #3,653 of 5,364
Quote:

I found the GR07 MKII for $148.00 USD plus tax. It comes out to about $168-$170. If you look at my original post it has my tastes. Do you think the Brainwavz B2 or the DBA 02 MK2 would be better for the money?
Quote:

I have one more question. Which would you reccomend in the 200-250 range? Or does the GR07 squash the competition?

1) The B2s have nowhere near the sheer dynamics or extension or even body, really, to sustain any notion of depth or power. Really, really not recommended for your types of music or sound preference.
2) IMO, found the offerings in that range to perform at similar levels as with the 100-200 range. Yes, stuff like the GR01, FXZ200, eQ-5 are exceptionally good, but they aren't necessarily "better".

Quote:
It's so hard to choose! I'm trying to work out ways of sleeving the cable and reinforcing the strain reliefs if I do get them - if only there was someone like BTG-Audio in the UK.

I'm not completely sure what my sound signature preference would be. I found the SE210 to be a little bit bass-light, but I think I want something fairly neutral - as long as it feels like it has the capability to do justice to anything I put through it.

If it were up to me, would re-terminate the entire plug as the cable thickness itself is not the problem per say, rather that the shape of the plug puts even more pressure on the strain relief. Of course strain relief at the point where the shells are would need to be strengthened. If you were open to modding them in the first place and voiding the warranty (not saying that's bad, but playing devil's advocate here), would definitely go through with it.

My budget is $500

Again - 

Nice treble, mids - have not heard the SM64 so no line of reference here. Any thoughts on what you liked/disliked on the other three (as I have heard/owned those at the very least)? Also a budget would be helpful.

As "nice treble and mids" is rather vague, would be extremely helpful if you could expand on your preferences and thoughts on the other three so we have a better reference point/criteria to work with.

I don't really have a specific genre, I listen to classic rock all the way to screaming death metal, isolation is of no concern, build has to be top notch the AT's I have now literally get thrown around daily. Comfort is not a high priority, I can make sacrifices. I like the tonal qualities of my rainmakers (Something to compare to), very neutral to neutral-brighter on the Highs, Mids neutral to neutral-warm, lows have a touch of warmth, fast response great with percussion, with CS:GO I need  good sound stage for the virtual surround.

Do you mind a lack in isolation (assuming you'll just be using them inside for gaming though), as the signature you're describing is sounding very similar to the EX600/1000. Bright-ish, neutral mids with a slight V-shape (bass has amazing speed and texture, do check out the reviews as they gush over the bass quite deservedly). Among the wider if not some of the widest presentations you'll find in IEMs.

Quote:
id like to get an iem that has great mids and a sound signature close to that of a sennheiser hd598, but with more bass, not a lot more though.Obviously I'm not going to get the soundstage but that's fine. Let's say 200 give or take for the cost limit. Will be driven by an iPod touch LOD out to fiio e17.

So do you think the eq7 is worth the extra money over the vsonic gr07?

Going to chime in here and say that the eQ-7, or even the eQ-5 really, perform around the same level technicality-wise. 

Hi guys I like quality,effects & clarity so much that Im sticking to my discman to play original CDs.
I am currently using seinnheiser PX 200,which I feel quality is pretty good for the price sold.
However, I am doubting PX200 sound quality and wonder if theres even better headphones not so bulky if possible...that plays CDs from discman very very well?
Reason Im thinking of a change is because I doubt I can hear all the mixture of voices that strong with PX200.

I am looking at clarity and bass and music clarity with great effects from solo and mixed voice.

I also play concert DVD on my laptop and I like using headphones instead of speakers.
Those are original DVDs from Japan.

So yeah guys,,,,any good suggestion? I am looking at hopefully below 200-400. Help please!!

Music type: Rap/Hip-hop/soft rock
Type of headphone: portable & sealed over the ear/closed
Head size: small
Usage: Portable discman/laptop

How about Audio Technica ATH-M50?

Not looking at IEM,amp or any vintage models.

Or do u guys think PX200 is good enough for both potability and music effects?
Its clarity is one of the best I have come across.

Thanks!!

Less bulky than the PX200? I doubt that's possible. But, yes, they aren't really about the clarity, the Senns. Guess the ES700 or something along the likes (haven't heard the WS99 so would ask Wayne or someone else on the thread about that).

can anyone please compare these for me?

brainwavs r1
mee a151
rock it sounds e-20

R1 - Extremely warm, mixed sound. Bassy and can get rather congested at times. Layering is, well there I guess but they tend to overdo it.
A151 - Relatively balanced, good punch, softer presentation as a whole though. Very smooth and clean. A bit dark as well.
R-20 - Less dark, overall similar.
So this may be a stupid question, but I have a pair of the meelectronics M6 that I use for the gym.  I can not find an ear tip that is comfortable or seems to stay put as I think I must have small ear canals.  What does everyone suggest?  I got my fiance a pair of the UE triple fi 10s a few years ago and have the same issue with those as well.

Which tips have you tried?

Sorry everyone I just saw this thread so I'll make sure the one I created gets deleted! I'll just paste my question here!

I'm not exactly what you would call an audiophile as most members here are but I've learned to appreciate good sound thanks to my father's passion for Hi-fi. I'm currently looking to replace my Sennheiser MM30i in ear earphones which I guess offer acceptable sound quality (I mainly use these because they have a handy control for my ipod). Now I would like to make quite a big step forward from these IEMs with a pair of earphones that will really make my music come alive. My budget would be around 180-200$. I mostly like listening to Indie rock/alternative (M83, Matt Pond Pa..), classical, jazz, some rock. Searching around I found the Bowers & Wilkins C5 and the Monster Turbine Pro Gold earphones which both seem very good. I was more interested in the Monster IEMs but I read that the Gold seem to focus more on the bass than the mid/low range... Now considering that I'm a fan of crystal clear vocals and I don't listen to a lot of rap, electro, r&b   would these still be a good choice for me? I'm obviously open to any other suggestion (even if slightly pricier!) Thanks!

The MTPGs are very bass and mid forward, heck, everything about them is forward. But clarity is definitely not their strong suit. A very lush and warm sound. If you want really clear vocals at that price, can't suggest the GR01 enough,

Quote:
Hi I am looking for a set of new headphones my iPhone ones are causing me problems and I would like to buy a decent set. I don't have a amp or anything, I will mainly be using them with my iphone so being that I would like the mic with controller. (Mic is not necessary, but the controls I would really prefer, I use the headphones while walking, as well as in the gym). I would like something somewhat rugged, I bought a nice set of head phones for my father which then where wrapped around the phone in his pocket and broke, I was not impressed, They also wouldn't warranty it. 

Onto what Is needed:
  1. I like some bass, but not overpowering
  2. Mic/Control for Iphone
  3. High Treble
  4. Sounds great all around on most music, I mostly listen to Rock, rap, dubstep, some mellow tunes, and top 100 type songs
  5. Budget: $100-150 but I will go a little higher if it will make a difference.
  6. Rugged headphones, I want to be able to use these in the gym without them breaking. (I don't abuse them but at times I may have weights resting on the cord or may bump into them)
  7. Comfy - I was leaning toward regular ear buds, but there isn't much of a selection in ear buds. 
  8. Some decent warranty if they break or I break them (I am in Canada so I would like to purchase them online in Canada or locally unless the warranty extends over from say amazon.)

Hopefully someone can help me:) I don't have hours on end to research headphones I am in university and my time is limited so all help is appreciated. 

Bassy-ish, treble, mic/control, all-rounder - Not a lot of choices headphone wise asides from maybe the LP2, but for IEMs, the UE700 or CKS99I would fit the criteria relatively. Comfort is a bit more iffy on the ATs, but bass simply does not hit as hard on the UE700s. The remote factor is limiting choices here.

Quote:
Hello all, I am fairly new to the hi-fi world, and seeking to purchase some IEMs. They are purchased for use during travel, but I might start bringing them to office if I really like what I hear. My only pair of quality headphones are the ath-esw9. I really like the way they sound, but they are too big to take abroad and don’t provide enough sound isolation for a flight. I also have some krk bookshelfs for quality reference.

My hearing isn’t great, and not sure if I could tell apart a 320 bit rate from 256/128, as I never tried with the same track. But comparing the esw9 to my klipsch s4a, there is a alot of difference in the sound quality. I wanted a decent IEM to compare with my esw9, so I ordered the much praised ATH-CKM500, due to arrive in May T_T . But knowing myself, I will also want to get something better soon after they arrive, or even before. I will probably want something in the 250-400 range, maybe open box or lightly used from ebay.

I’ve experienced a lot of wire failure in the cheap IEMs I’ve had for daily use. While this pair will not get nearly as much use, I would still like to address this somehow, I do not want to get something that would fail in the same way. From what I understand, a flat wire would help extent life as it isn’t twisted about as much

Besides a strong wire, I would also like some design feature to help the peaces stay in place. My last set was the Skullcandy Fix, they are designed like hooks to hang on the ear, so that they stay in place even without the silicone tips. Maybe a vertical style of Shure will accomplish a more secure hold like that, but I’ve never used them.

Hopefully the above will help understand my situation J. I’m looking for IEMs in the 250-400 range that I will 1- enjoy as much as esw9, 2-with an unbreakable cable and 3-will stay in place :D. Naturally the last two are more like bonus features, the main thing is comparable quality to esw9, also being at least as neutral in sound.

I listen to all types music, probably more electronic, but also lot if instrumentals, vocals. Mostly variants of house/hiphop/d&b/trance, etc… I live in the states, in the central jersey.

Westone w4 and 4r seem reputable, but are they as different in SQ with the CKM500, as in their price (6X better)? I wish there was a way to hear my options, but I doubt that’s possible.

The ESW9 sig and the CKM500 sig are rather disparate. But I digress.

Anyways, flat cables are not the end-all-be-all in cable design. Half the time they are worse off. Going with a bulky cable with good strain relief, or perhaps even twisted, would be much more durable. But, looking at the rest of the criteria, over-ear wearing style, similar sig to ESW9 (don't exactly find them to be neutral in the slightest), $250-400 - probably will have to say the eQ-5 (yes you can wear them over the ear, and cable is generally okay), or perhaps the SM3/UM3X (depends on how you'd like the presentation to be, otherwise sig up to the treble is similar-ish) - rather good build and cable is the infamous Westone style that have been working against the test of time for many Head-Fiers. 

Quote:
Hi guys I would like to read your opinions on which is the best headphones I can get between 300-500$. I listen mainly to hip-hop and I don't mind paying any extra money either. I was going to buy the beats Pro but I have read that they are crap so I am seeking for some professional advice. 

Thx for your replies!!

Of course, genres are helpful, but stating sound signature preferences, comfort, build, isolation, availability of items, etc, would be much more helpful.

Quote:
Hello,

I did not read my welcome PM and created this thread in haste:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/658664/adjusting-my-portable-rig-trying-to-get-classic-metal-to-sound-good

Apologies, please move here if possible. But I was also not sure because I was asking about the rig in its entirety (player, iem's and amp). It has been a hassle trying to get classic metal to sound good!

Glad to be posting here as an active member (I have been lurking for close to 5 years now!)

Quote:

Hello,
First time poster, long time lurker. I am currently stuck in a quagmire of gear and I want to seek community advice, before making another purchase.

My main gear: Cowon D2+ (2.13 regular firmware) + Digizoid Zo (1st one) + Brainwavz B2 headphones
Other gear I have used/still have: Creative Zen Stone (back-up player, nice and warm)
Futuresonics Atrio (before they started revising)
Cowon X7 (I prefer the sound of D2+ and I rarely use this anymore, planning to sell it)

My issues: I listen to a lot of 80’s pop and hard rock/heavy metal (mostly glam and 80’s style thrash/speed metal, not a lot of recent stuff). I am seeking a detailed, warm sound. I used the Atrio for several years, but grew tired of the poor mids and found the bass fatiguing after short periods of listening. I bought the B2 to have a pair of analytical IEM’s to complement the Atrio, but found myself making them my main earphones because I could wear them for extended periods and Atrio’s are now more or less my back-ups, in the event something were to happen to the B2. I later bought the Zo because of the bass enhancements and it made sense to pair it with the analytical B2. The Zo is okay, but I feel like it is the weak-link in the set-up (the details in the Cowon come through better without it sometimes, probably due to the sound being run through the headphone jack).

What I am looking for: I am most interested in having an open mid-range for the metal, where the guitars and vocals are separated in the metal, but without the coldness of the current set-up and more overall impact, but not fatiguingly so (ala the Atrios). I do not want bass bleeding into the midrange. So something that can make 80’s hard rock / metal sound good, while faring good enough with everything else. So I am trying to move away from analytical-sounding to more of a warm, yet detailed sound where everything can be heard and without any kind of muddiness. I usually decrease the lower bands of the EQ on the D2 to add clarity to the mids.

Currently looking at: I have been looking at several options…One is the Fiio E12 (I’ve gathered it is a warm sounding amp, was wondering if it would be effective putting it between the D2+ and the Brainwavz). Another is swapping the Brainwavz for the TDK BA200 (warm and sweet, highly rated and affordable, I have not seen a comparison of these two phones, but both seem highly rated). Lastly, I have given some thought to splurging for the DX-100 and making it my main player. It has nice storage and I’ve gathered it has the premium sound to match the price, but am wondering how it will pair with the Brainwavz. Also, I’m rather attached to the D2+, so that is a last resort, but if it can handle metal better, it would be worth it. The Colorfly C3 is also sounding attractive and the price makes me want to take a chance on it.

Which of the options above would you recommend? Anything else off the radar that might work? I’m willing to spend the money if the end result is worth it. Also, must have expandable memory.

Whew! First post. Hope I don’t sound too much like a newb.

Didn't find the B2's treble to calm down with the Z02, so would forego the amp and the B2s completely, (and yes, the IE800/BA200 would be a good move in this case). I'd also keep the D2 as it is already an admirable player and you really don't want to deal with the added complexity of a DX100. Always splurging on transducer upgrades/sidegrades is a good rule of thumb. 

Again, can't recommend the IE800/BA200 enough. Treble is very much smoother, mids are level, actual body to the sounds. And presentation isn't as artificial.

Quote:
From the reviews & impressions on here, it seems these IEM's isolation is a weak point.
I need an IEM with decent isolation, as I will mainly use it on the plane & trains.
Any other suggestions?

Perhaps the UE900 then, stage size isn't as large, but very focused and coherent overall, also quite airy and signature is similar-ish (slight v) but with a lot less upper mids.

Apr 6, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #3,655 of 5,364
looking for portable headphones for tablet and iphone use....Looking for stylish (like audio technical a900x)...want good NC and looking into an amp (how is the Fiio e11?)...

Please help me choose now guys...I have been on this forum for days and not getting as much info as I thought......I wouldn't be so abrupt , but im going on a flight soon and im looking for a great set to take my mind of the flight....

Any great suggestions?...up to $220/£160....

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #3,656 of 5,364
looking for portable headphones for tablet and iphone use....Looking for stylish (like audio technical a900x)...want good NC and looking into an amp (how is the Fiio e11?)...

Please help me choose now guys...I have been on this forum for days and not getting as much info as I thought......I wouldn't be so abrupt , but im going on a flight soon and im looking for a great set to take my mind of the flight....

Any great suggestions?...up to $220/£160....

logitech ue6000

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #3,658 of 5,364
looking for bluetooth headphones for mostly gym/sprots activities. bass-powerful and staying tight! 

any design (in ear/over ear) will do. as much noise isolation as possible.

Please help!
budget?

good wireless headphones are pretty expensive. you might want to just get something with a wire, IEMs would be good for you.

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #3,659 of 5,364
Quote:
budget?

good wireless headphones are pretty expensive. you might want to just get something with a wire, IEMs would be good for you.

I'm willing to shell out cash for this.. around 200-300 bucks maybe? Gym is like the only place where I have time to enjoy music. So I'm ready to pay. I'm done with wires, not an option for me. 

I have read literally every review on CNET - it appears that all wireless headphones have serious downsides regardless of price. For example, Jaybird Bluebuds X seemed appealing at first, but then I read how many people have issues with getting a tight fit. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #3,660 of 5,364
Hi guys, I'm pretty new here. I've had some experience with Denon AH-D550 and now am looking for a headphone upgrade (mostly for home use). My music is usually indie rock/pop, I also listen to metal but usually those songs with clean vocal. Emphasis is on detail and treble, though some clear presence of bass would be nice. I still haven't decided whether to go with any amp, so it's up to you guys to suggest a setup for me. Anyway, budget is ~200USD. Thanks!

Edit: Isolation is not a real concern but I'd prefer if there is any 'cos I'm sharing the room with my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back