Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 1, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #3,571 of 5,364
So, I've decided on getting the JVC HAFX101B earphones and the M-Audio Q40 Studiophile headphones. I know I stated my decision before, but due to the price rising, I had to change my decision. Would these two be a good choice?

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #3,573 of 5,364
I'm brand new to this and I'm looking to buy a new pair of IEMs for listening to in the office and using in the gym.
I currently have an ATH-A900x (music and games) and a Brainwavz M5(office/gym).

The M5 is fine for what it is but the only thing I can compare it to is the A900x and it just lacks overall detail, space and clarity in comparison.
Is there something in the sub-150 range that will give me a better soundstage with good detail/clarity.  Also looking for good build quality and durability.
I don't bang my equipment around but I'd like it to last through normal use.

I listen to nearly everything.  Rock(RHCP,Green Day, Nirvana, Rise Against, Jack White/White Stripes,Hendrix), EDM, Pop(indie,synth,top20), and...er symphonic videogame music.

Bass isn't a priority and neither is absolute accuracy.  I'd like to hear the sub-bass/midbass but I don't need to feel it.  I'm looking for good detail/clarity, instrument separation and soundstage.
The M5 is good when running and doing cardio but the bass seems to overpower everything else.  When I tried to eq the LF, thats when I really hear the lack of detail compared to full size.
I've never auditioned other IEMs before so I don't know what "good" sounds like and how much I'd have to pay for those.  

I'd like to keep costs down to under 100 so I can save for some nice Open headphones but I'm in no rush to get Open headphones so willing to go higher on a good quality set of IEM.  It will likely be used for low-impact exercises at the gym (lifting) and the M5 will be used on cardio days.

I currently use a Rockboxed ClipZip or laptop.  I won't be using an amp.

I was looking into:
JVC FXZ100 (over price range)
EPH-100
Sony XBA30 (slightly over the price range)
Sony XBA3 ( read it was picky with source)
Rock-it Sounds R50 (durability issues with cable?)
Hifiman RE400
RE262 (requires an amp)
FXT90
MEelectronics A151/161P (build quality?)

Thanks

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #3,574 of 5,364
Hello my dear friends; 

I'm listening trance and electronic genres mostly. My previous headphone was AKG K-181 Dj. I've just sold it cause I couldn't listen it anymore due to it's too agressive highes. I was really afraid that they could make me deaf!!!

And now I'm looking for a new headphone. For me ofcourse clear and deep lows are really important but also it must has really high clearity with good instrument seperation. I don't like muffled and just one note bass sound.... and I really don't want to sibilince highes like in K-181. 

Now I'm in very big dilemma between tma-1 and m-80. Do you tihnk which one is more suitable for me. If you give me some ideas about them, I'll be really grateful. Thanks in advance.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #3,575 of 5,364
Quote:

I've had the R-50 for around 3 months now and I haven't had any problems with the cable. I don't know how other people don't hear this on the R-50, but what drives me insane is how harsh the upper mids and highs are. Female voices and trumpets (in jazz) sound horrible on them.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #3,576 of 5,364
Hi. Help please with an adecvate advice.

Which are the moset suitable earphones for an estimated budget 400$. No customs ! Just top-tire high-end universals with hute soundstage, dynamic bass, accurate timber reproduction. 
I need universals, all-rounders, for rock, metal, dynamic music, soundtracks, blues, pretty everything. 

These should have good speed, good extension, more then neutral bass kicking, but not to overbloated, so that midrange is still there. 

In other words I would like to buy an earphone somehow similar in bass and soundstage to IE80, but more aqurate timber reproduction, better speed and more neutral low-treble. Something like Sennheiser HD650 in timber, but more details and betters speed.
A T1 signature would be perfect, i suppose. 

Any ideas, advice ? 

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #3,577 of 5,364
Thanks,
I've only read about the cable issues and how its inevitable.  From the pictures it seemed exceptionally built.  The rubber coating seems like it would be good in keeping out moisture, at the very least, help it absorb impacts.

Are the high treble frequencies something that can be EQ'd out?

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #3,578 of 5,364
I have experimented with the EQ on my Rockboxed iPod Classic and I think I took 16000Hz down to around -15dB and 8000Hz to around -10dB. The EQ got rid of most of the harshness, but took a bit away from the sound quality, I just couldn't find the perfect balance without affecting sound quality.

It's a real shame though because other than the upper harshness, they have amazing sound quality. I don't know all of the proper terms, but they are so harsh, I actually notice distortion on certain frequencies and it sounds like clipping.

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #3,579 of 5,364
Re400 is what i am looking into, however idk if u are aware of the vsonic is gonna publish their counter re-400 iem which is only about $35.
Can not wait to see that coming lol.
BTW, i ll check the comparison, thx alot anyways.

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #3,580 of 5,364
Hey everyone, looking for a pair of IEMs from $50-$150 range

looking for a nice, balanced sound, wide sound-field, instrument seperation. 

Mostly used on a rockboxed Ipod, will be getting a Cowon X9 soon

Listening to: post-rock, math-rock, indie, progressive, experimental, etc. Emphasis on stereo dynamics and the main instruments would be drums and guitar. Looking for something that portrays bass accurately but not over or under powered. 

Thanks for any help!

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #3,581 of 5,364
Just bought a pair of ue900 on a whim at the airport and I am impressed. Thanks to the one who suggested them here. Very nice sound sig with great bass for a ba and nice derailed non fatiguing highs. The midrange could be a bit more lush but that would be my only complaint. Nice build quality, accessories, and the sound stage is pretty nice to boot!

I brought up ie80s at the time I asked for advice here and liked those also though for cert different reasons. Anyway just wanted to say thanks!

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #3,582 of 5,364
Quote:
So... I'm a bit lost on what to buy to get the biggest improvement in sound. I've been looking at The National by ALO a lot lately and have almost bought it a few times, but I keep wondering if it wouldn't be a better idea to upgrade my headphones first.

I have:
- iPod Classic
- Chris_Himself/Ted custom copper LOD
- FiiO E11
- Audio Technica ATH-M35 (full sized headphones)
- Rock It Sounds R-50 (IEM)

I think on-ear headphones would probably be the most ideal, but I'm happy with the size of my ATH-M35 for on the go. I've been looking at the Beyer Dynamic AT1350 and Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. I consider the sound of the ATH-M35 to be almost identical to the ATH-M50 (I own both). I used to think that I wanted the flattest sound possible, but now I think I'm more interested in a warmer, more tube-like sound. I listen to almost exclusively jazz, and I've been getting into classical. I also listen to deadmau5 occasionally, but I'm not really interested in lots of bass. I almost never use my R-50, extremely narrow soundstage, don't fit the best, and the highs are piercing whenever someone plays a high note on a trumpet. The headphones will need to have fairly good noise isolation because I'll be using them at school and leak as little sound as possible.

So I guess my biggest question is amp or headphones? And if headphones, would anyone recommend other models for $300.00 (ideally $250.00) or less?

Warmth, isolates, good with jazz and classical - sounds like the Momentums if you haven't tried them already, especially with that budget.

Hey, guys. I'm new to the site (at least, as a registered user) and I was looking for advice on which headphones to buy next. As far as I can tell, this is the place to ask, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, but I don't have a lot of money to spend. Currently, I have a pair of Philips SHE9000/28 In-Ear Headphones which have served me well, but they certainly don't sound the best and they've seen some serious abuse. I was looking to upgrade to more midrange headphones, but there's a plethora of options. Amazon reviews have proved entirely useless, but I've found some very helpful advice on this site. Currently, I'm looking at the Brainwavz M5 (or M4, if they're better), the MEElectronics A151-BK, the VSONIC VC02, the Astrotec Am-90, or the MAXIMO iM-590 Enhanced Definition. Now, that's a lot of options, and there are quite a few differences between these headphones. I like the supposed accuracy of the VSONIC or Astrotec, but I don't know if I would prefer that to the bassier Brainwavz. I would prefer a durable pair of headphones, considering my track record, and lots of accessories would be nice, but sound is definitely the most important factor. My music collection is incredibly varied, as I listen to everything from death metal, movies scores, classic rock, old school RnB, to grunge, electronica, progressive rock, and basically anything else under the sun.

Any suggestions? I'm looking to stay under the $100 range, if at all possible. Again, if this is the wrong place to ask, I apologize. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be eternally grateful. Thanks, guys.

Ironstag.

The M5 and M4 are rather different in terms of sig, so would not immediately judge/quantify them as being better. 

When you say you like the accuracy, not sure if you've actually heard them or are just assuming. Either way if you're looking to find something durable, somewhere between the A151 or the M5, can't recommend the GR04 enough in this case. 

looking for something that is super comfortable with a slightly bass heavy sound under 75. looking at beyerdynamic dt501,and CAL. a remote would be nice as would a removable or one sided cable, folding would also be nice. preferably on ear

Does sound like the CAL!s but the cable is worrisome as it fits neither of your criteria, not to mention the rather kinky nature that doesn't inspire much confidence. Would look at the Downtowns as well in this case.

Hello! I'm relatively new to this area and I need suggestions.

Currently, I own a Sennheiser CX 200 and PX 100-II, and I need an in-ear model that's close to the sound signatures of either of them. Also, if possible, would you recommend the CX 215/CX 300-II over the CX 200? I love the sound sig of the PX 100s, and I want a smaller version of it, for commuting/on-the-go use. Oh, and something to use while jogging, if it isn't too much to ask.

I'd say I won't spend beyond $60 for canalphones. As for in ears, maybe somewhere along $40.

A mini-PX100 like signature, under 60, preferably $40 - you don't really have to resort to just Senn in this case, the M2 gets very close, if only the note presentation was a bit softer...Otherwise the TS01 would do as well.

Hi all :),

Recently my Head-Direct Re0's broke down and I'm looking for what to get as a replacement. I really liked my Re0's except for the fact that I always had the feeling that it lacked real bass for the type of music that I listen to (mostly house/electronic music, but I also to listen pop music). Now I thought the Shure SE215's might be a good option. Do you guys think I would like these more than my RE0's considering the type of music I listen to? Would you recommend them? And which other headphones would you advise me in the price range till +-100euros? 

It still depends on how you prefer your bass to be presented with those genres. And again, that really depends on personal preference and I can't guess that. Are you looking for heavier mid-bass impact? Faster impact? Faster note presentation? More texture? More extension? The Shures do have more in quantity and texture, but not really faster or even extending further.

Again, since you are open to other alternatives, there are a lot of other choices but you're going to have to help us out by stating your signature preferences a bit more in detail. The FXD80, for example have very fast bass and a tonality that does fantastic for electronic. But I can't be sure if you'll like the leaner note presentation (slightly leaner than even the RE0). There are plenty of other choices as well.

Hi everyone

New to this forum and this hobby. Looking to purchase my first ba driver earphone, the SE315 as I managed to find a good deal on them. I want to ask how they compare with my Q701 which I love, in terms of clarity, detail, soundstage, etc.

Thanks,

The SE315 is rather dull and not nearly as smooth. Roll-off is much more significant. Not as clear since everything's a bit mushed over and that doesn't really help with the soundstage as well. Sorry to say that the SE425 would have been a closer bet if you were looking for a Q701-like signature. Soundstage still, and will never be, anywhere near the Q701, but it is rather clear with good technicalities throughout.

Hello,

I'm looking for a replacement for my Sennheiser MX550 - new earbuds or comfortable IEM, for about 50~70$.

As a source I use Cowon C2 and I listen to MP3 files (usually 192kbit or better)
I like classic rock music (Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin...) and long walks on the beach :)

I did a search and I have found only requests for bass boosted sets. I don't like too much bass.
I'm looking for balanced and well built (durable) earphones. I like deep, wide-stage sound.
I know that the best way to buy gear is to listen to it myself, but in this price range I think that the general opinion will be enough

I HATE the volume button on the MX550, so I prefer a set without one of these (or with a button that doesn't break after 3 months).

Balanced, durable, wide and deep stage, long walks on the beach, $50-70 - right underneath that budget would be the E30, great balance, very nice....well, plastic, build. stage is more about width while depth is only above average. But I would be worried about build more as it's very average. Nothing wrong with the cable and shells in particular, but nothing that stands out as well. GR04 would fit the balanced signature profile as well but stage is a bit lackluster with regards to size by comparison. 

TwinQY how would you describe the sound signature of the R-50 vs. the XBA-30, and others that you mentioned? I'm not just limited to Sony so anything in that price range would be fine with me. I'm looking for something that performs well all around. The R-50 was very analytical/flat, nice flatness, but doesn't have much warmth. I looking for something that's equal in analytical and flatness, warmth is necessary too but it doesn't have to equal to those two. 

The R-50s are warmer than other TWFKs like the B2s, but still rather cold in the grand scheme of things. It's the treble - while mid-bass is bumped up against the sub-bass, it's ever so slight and the treble quantity, frankly overwhelms that aspect. Very much about width and separation and clarity. Basically a HF5 + B2 combo but with more mid-bass. The XBA-30s are much more coherent against the old XBA-3, treble is smoothed out but still ample subbass and midbass in comparison to the Rockits. 

Anyways, back to the alternatives. Warmer than the R-50 but retains linearity/neutrality? Really does sound like a GR01 if you could've spared the budget. The BA200 is rather linear as well, but would lean more towards the XBA-30s in this case in terms of warmth. Your best bet would probably be the RE-400s in this case. Fits the budget, very linear, slightly warm with smoothed out treble.

Hey guys..I'm a newbie at headphones..But, I know the brands of audiophile headphones .Anyways I'm trying to find a pair of over-the-ear headphones that are around the price range of $10-$40..Some features that I would like included is some noise cancellation..Hopefully, you can recommend me the best out of those headphones below and recommend some other headphones with the stated price range.

Some headphones I have in mind are:

Sennheiser HD 202 II
AKG K403
Audio Technica ATH-SJ33
Audio Technica ATH-T200
Audio Technica ATH-T300
Audio Technica ATH-M30
Audio Technica ATH-M20
Superlux HD 681
Koss DJ100

Genres:
EDM (Tiesto, Zedd, Avicii)
Pop (Bruno Mars, Justin Timberlake, Rihanna, Usher, Hedley, modern pop,etc)
Softcore Rap (Drake)

Thanks.

I think I answered this in another thread, but can't be sure until I check.

Quote:
Hi,
I'm trying to find earphone for the bus
Still in college, so maybe nothing more than $80

i listen to easy listening songs, jasom mraz, michael buble etc

Thanks!

Genres are helpful, but stating sound/signature preferences would be even more so. Also preferences in terms of isolation (since you'll be commuting with them I'd assume you want more than average, although I could be assuming wrong), build, and comfort would be helpful as well.

Hi.
I've been into IEMs for some years now. My first IEM was the Sennheiser CX100, which was soon upgraded to a SoundMagic PL50.
After the PL50 clogged with ear wax, I replaced it with the E30, which was a disappointment.
I much preferred the sound signature of the BA-based PL50, although it might also have been due to the better fit I got with that pair. The isolation of all 3 was mediocre, with the E30 being the worst.

My current budget is around $150 (including shipping to Israel). What I'm looking for is a balanced and detailed sound signature, superb isolation and no microphonics when worn over the ear.
The baseline (and the set I will choose if nothing else comes to mind) is the Etymotic HF5. I expect reasonable durability from the IEM, but it doesn't have to last more than about 2 years. It will probably be clogged by wax again by then.
Other options which come to mind are (in no particular order):
Klipsch X10
VSonic VC1000
MEElectronics A161P
Rockit Sounds R50

The IEM will be driven by an iPod classic's line out (with a small fio amp).
I listen mainly to metal music, but the sound signature doesn't have to be V shaped.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Balance, detail, isolates, and no microphonics - apart from isolation the A161P do the rest a bit better in most of those areas against the HF5. Less treble, and slightly smoother as well. Otherwise pretty similar but with more depth and focus to the stage. The X10 are vastly warmer in comparison to either. R-50s would be a nice alternative HF5 if it wasn't for the stiff cable and reduced isolation.

Hello, I'm new to Head-Fi. I am looking to buy a new set of headphones, and I was hoping to get some advice from people who have experience. I want a pair of headphones for daily use. I listen to music on my ipod touch 4th gen and Nokia Lumia 822. Two pairs of headphones that caught my eye were the Beats Pro and V-Moda M100. I listen to primarily hiphop/rap and Linkin Park type music. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you respond, please tell me which headphone you personally would suggest. Thanks! Also, what do you guys think of Beats Mixr?

Beats are generally disliked on these forums, and there are ample comparisons on the main M-100 threads that easily put the V-Modas far above what the Pros will ever come close to doing. Personally I found the Pros to be a bit too cold and smoothed out/dull with lack of dynamics. 

Again, genres are helpful, but stating sound signature preferences would be even more so. Stating preference in terms of build, isolation, comfort, would be helpful as well.

Hello Guys! I am sort of new here since i registered my account after hrs of search on this website.
I wanna buy a pair of portable IEM.
My sources are iPod classic and iPhone 5.
I listen to all kinds of music from Beethoven to Green Day and a bit fancy color would be my choice because I would wear it out on the street.: ). (It's fine though, what I care about is if sound quality meets my need, the isolation and if it is comfortable)
My price range is about $100, more or less.
About the isolation, I prefer it not to be a disadvantage since I hate to hear wind screaming in my ear LoL
Moreover, I sometimes listen to the music for hrs so I prefer it to be comfortable on shape.

I hope my post is in detail, thx for all your help and I m open to all suggestions!

$100, all-rounder, low wind-noise, isolates, comfort -  first off: genres are helpful, but stating sound signature preferences would be even more so. 
That being said, from the otherwise very nicely detailed criteria, does sound like the A161P. small shells, rounded and stays tucked in the ear so low wind noise, good balanced all-round, not very intrusive so comfort is nice.

Hi guys I cycle a lot but can't stand Ear buds and am not keen on IEMs as they never feel comfy ond just end up annoying me as they fall out or hurt...

The best and last set of iems I had were JVC XX bass things and were red and black...

But have them away and they fit okay but still not perfect....

What would my non IEM options be.....

Obviously no full size things as they won't fit as I wear a helmet....I was thinging IEMs would be OK if they fit nicely and had a clip to hold them on like the ones runners wear?

Or some portable over ear ones that could have a small headband that goes under a helmet...

What would you suggests, it needs to be available in the UK and I have a budget of £25 but can go slightly more many £35 if it was really worth it...

IEMs will be okay if they have a ear clip to keep them on, but over ears are much more comfy and don't need cleaning every single time I use them (my ears are very clean but still the IEMs get waxxy?)

Thx

If it's for helmet use, why not go with a clip-on on-ear like the KSC75? Right on budget, no headband, fits your needs quite nicely. Not as intrusive as with IEMs as well.

Anyways, if that doesn't work out, and you end up with IEMs as a last resort, V-Moda has some sporthooks clips so they'd work with any IEM. Put them on something cheap like the GR99 or the MT300s, and you're gold. But of course with all those choices for IEMs it'd be easier to narrow something down if you specified sound/signature preferences, genres, and the likes.

Hey lads,

I'm looking for an in-ear pair, ~80-100$, used for working out and commuting on a Galaxy Nexus. What are the current faves these days? Steer me in the right direction please :)

Too many choices around that price. Stating sound/signature preferences, genres, preference in terms of comfort, build, isolation, availability of products, would help narrow the choices down. Emphasis on the first part (sound preference).

Thank you, TwinQY. I went with the TDK's simply because I was able to find them with the least amount of difficulty. They are 100% worth what I paid for them. My only real complaint is that the sound is just slightly harsh at high volumes when I use them directly from my iPod, but when I use them with my computer, they sound much better. Otherwise, I like the way they sound. It took me a few days to warm up to my perception of distance (or lack thereof) between instruments, but I think it was because I was mostly using full-size headphones before.

Anyway, I'm very happy with this pair. They may not be perfect, but they are great for the price and were inexpensive enough that I'm willing to stick with them until a next investment.

In short: you're amazing.

Try tip-rolling. The harshness factor is extremely dependent on the tips being used. 

Anyways, no problem :D

Looking for a new IEM, but it's difficult to say what sound I want, in part because I don't know all the audiophile terminology, but mostly because my experience with headphones is very limited.

I've had the Creative ep600 for years, and I basically like the sound.  Seems full and possibly warm? Definitely seems to have sufficient bass.  I've recently tried the Panasonic HJE120 and the Monoprice 8320.  The Panasonic seems alright, but the sound could be more full and rich, I think.  The Monoprice seems to have good clarity and detail, but the bass, while accurate sounding, seems severely lacking in power.  From what I've read, this could be due to not getting a good seal.  The stock tips are definitely uncomfortable, but I won't be able to test until I get some Complys.  But also, the sound just doesn't seems as thick and rich as it does with the ep630.  Maybe it's "thin" sounding? I appreciate the clearness of the 8320s, but when I'm out walking and comparing phones, I keep going back to the Creatives because they sound more fun, and they're waaay more comfortable.  I probably only have 15 hours or so on the Monoprice and Panasonic, so that may be part of the problem.

So, I'm looking for an upgrade with a rich, full sound but possibly also with improved clarity? Does such a thing exist for under $40? I've been looking closely at the Soundmagic E10 and the Vsonic GR02 Base Edition.  Which of these would have more bass? Any suggestions?

Rich, full, clarity....
Oh wait, I remember giving the recs out for the GR02. Right, sorry, hard to keep track of stuff I answer. Still sticking to my guns on that one.

Hello, 
I am looking for new IEMs and I've narrowed down my choices to:
1. Vsonic GR07 MKII
2. Fischer Audio DBA-02 MKII
3. AudioFly AF78

Will be used with Cube C30 MP3 player. Current IEMs are UE600vi. I'm upgrading because the wire at the Y-connector came off.
My musical taste :
Genre - Rock, Indie, Metal, Funk, Blues and games/movie soundtracks.
Examples - Kings of Leon, Bon Iver, Tool, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Black Keys, LOTR/Skyrim soundtrack.
I am also a drummer and I will be using these IEMs for drumming as well so there will be some vigorous upper body movement.

Please advice and thank you for your help. 

For drums and rock, especially out of those three choices, would go for the GR07, easy. Probably some of the best rendering of bass texture and dynamics this side of the headphone world. Usually they're quite secure but would look into longer tips if you're moving a lot with them. Not going to try and confuse you with even more alternatives since you've put in some effort narrowing stuff down, so sticking with the GR07 would be highly recommended.

Quote:
I'm brand new to this and I'm looking to buy a new pair of IEMs for listening to in the office and using in the gym.
I currently have an ATH-A900x (music and games) and a Brainwavz M5(office/gym).

The M5 is fine for what it is but the only thing I can compare it to is the A900x and it just lacks overall detail, space and clarity in comparison.
Is there something in the sub-150 range that will give me a better soundstage with good detail/clarity.  Also looking for good build quality and durability.
I don't bang my equipment around but I'd like it to last through normal use.

I listen to nearly everything.  Rock(RHCP,Green Day, Nirvana, Rise Against, Jack White/White Stripes,Hendrix), EDM, Pop(indie,synth,top20), and...er symphonic videogame music.

Bass isn't a priority and neither is absolute accuracy.  I'd like to hear the sub-bass/midbass but I don't need to feel it.  I'm looking for good detail/clarity, instrument separation and soundstage.
The M5 is good when running and doing cardio but the bass seems to overpower everything else.  When I tried to eq the LF, thats when I really hear the lack of detail compared to full size.
I've never auditioned other IEMs before so I don't know what "good" sounds like and how much I'd have to pay for those.  

I'd like to keep costs down to under 100 so I can save for some nice Open headphones but I'm in no rush to get Open headphones so willing to go higher on a good quality set of IEM.  It will likely be used for low-impact exercises at the gym (lifting) and the M5 will be used on cardio days.

I currently use a Rockboxed ClipZip or laptop.  I won't be using an amp.

I was looking into:
JVC FXZ100 (over price range)
EPH-100
Sony XBA30 (slightly over the price range)
Sony XBA3 ( read it was picky with source)
Hifiman RE400
RE262 (requires an amp)
FXT90
MEelectronics A151/161P (build quality?)

Thanks

Great staging, clarity, good durability, under 100 - Out of the choices the FXZ100 are powerful and immersive with great detailing, but not too keen on the clarity. The EPH-100 are even more bassy and warmed over, overwhelming at times. The XBA-3/30 have the same impedance, so pickiness would be the same either way. Otherwise clarity is good but not a strong suit. The R-50 cables are really just stiff, not sure about long-term, but didn't seem like they would snap too easily. As it is Head-Fi would take QC complaints with a grain of salt.

Anyways, from the other choices, would single out the RE400 and A161P in terms of signature alone, RE262 if you really want the detailing and focused ("good") staging. The A161P have very nice build so not sure of the complaints there. Staging is not quite as large but clarity, due to leaner notes, can perceived as being "clearer" at times. The RE-400 would still be the champ overall in terms of natural detail and timbre, stage size would be in between the rest of the choices. But the cable could be a bit better even though the shells are much better than on the RE262.

Quote:
Hello my dear friends; 

I'm listening trance and electronic genres mostly. My previous headphone was AKG K-181 Dj. I've just sold it cause I couldn't listen it anymore due to it's too agressive highes. I was really afraid that they could make me deaf!!!

And now I'm looking for a new headphone. For me ofcourse clear and deep lows are really important but also it must has really high clearity with good instrument seperation. I don't like muffled and just one note bass sound.... and I really don't want to sibilince highes like in K-181. 

Now I'm in very big dilemma between tma-1 and m-80. Do you tihnk which one is more suitable for me. If you give me some ideas about them, I'll be really grateful. Thanks in advance.

The TMA-1 embodies darkness and that "muffled" quality, does so in an acceptable way, but it's still there and a bit of a qualm for those that don't like that sort of presentation. Neither are astoundingly clear but in this case would give it to the M-80s overall. A bit more balance and texture. Open to any other choices?

Quote:
Hi. Help please with an adecvate advice.

Which are the moset suitable earphones for an estimated budget 400$. No customs ! Just top-tire high-end universals with hute soundstage, dynamic bass, accurate timber reproduction. 
I need universals, all-rounders, for rock, metal, dynamic music, soundtracks, blues, pretty everything. 

These should have good speed, good extension, more then neutral bass kicking, but not to overbloated, so that midrange is still there. 

In other words I would like to buy an earphone somehow similar in bass and soundstage to IE80, but more aqurate timber reproduction, better speed and more neutral low-treble. Something like Sennheiser HD650 in timber, but more details and betters speed.
A T1 signature would be perfect, i suppose. 

Any ideas, advice ? 

You are pretty much describing the EX1000 in their entirety. Very sizable and open stage, dynamic is just the right word to describe their bass, timbre is THE best I have heard on an IEM, LCD-2 levels of timbre. Extension is also a very good quality with these. 

Again, hate to gush over something, but these pretty much fit almost all of those qualities that you are describing with exception the lower-treble (similar to an IE80 with bad fit, more smooth until you get to 10kHz)

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #3,584 of 5,364
Quote:
^^ Also, if I missed anyone in that post or someone who I answered feels like I need to expand a bit more, feel free to pipe in.

Thanks for the response, but I decided to order The National and it should be here in a few days :). I did some more research and thought about it a lot and I'll probably get the DT 1350 soon. I'm just really wondering how the Momentum does with amping since it's impedance is so low.

Transferring money between my bank and PayPal takes about 7 days (Canada) and I didn't want to transfer the money back and wait again since I knew I'd buy The National soon anyway, so I just did things a bit backwards.

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #3,585 of 5,364
Quote:

Try tip-rolling. The harshness factor is extremely dependent on the tips being used. 

Anyways, no problem :D

I'm assuming tip-rolling is just trying other tips? To be fair, I have only tried the ones that were on from the start: Comply foam tips. There were some normal tips included, though. I'll try them and see if they help any. I think it might be the treble coming off as harsh, but I really wouldn't know.

I'm still appreciative either way. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back