Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 26, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #3,466 of 5,364
TwinQY,

after trying the UE900's for a while I decided to return them. I liked everything about it, (after the pinhole has filled) the soundstage (above average width but the depth is where it truly shines), treble extension is amazing (one of the biggest strength of these phones), airy vocals, lively, neutral/linear/tight bass - very accurate, the amount of bass is just perfect, very involving acoustic guitars and piano's sound magical.  Isolation, comfort and build is also good.

However, i find the vocals lack some emotion since it isn't forward enough for my tastes. I don't know what iem's to look at now, the only ones i can think of is the W4 and 4ai. Since the EX1000 wouldn't have the isolation i want and the treble will be too harsh for me so it's out. Also, i have tried the SM3 but i thought that the lower mids are too thick for my liking. I don't know if i should just stick with the UE's or if i'm being too picky since i like everything else about them but vocals are one of the most important things i look for in an iem and it is really expensive so i just want something that i would really like.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #3,467 of 5,364
I posted a similar question over in the full sized thread, forgetting that this forum is not just for IEMs! I'll ask here too.

I recently bought a pair of Audio Technica's ATH A900x. I love 'em. And as I use them more, I love them more. However, I've encountered a wee problem. They aren't exactly travel friendly. They're rather large! I've been nosing around the forums and Amazon for a decent set of over or on ear 'phones that don't have such a large footprint. The thing is, of course, they need to sound good. I like fairly neutral headphones. My favorites are the ATH A900x and Klipsch x10i's (but I need to stay away from IEMs for the time being). I listen to a lot of different kinds of music. Also, I always use my Fiio E7 (because my macbook pro hisses more than I can stand). Now, the problem is that I need to keep the cost down. Absolutely, under $100, but preferably lower. I've been looking at and considering Audio-Technica ATH-ES5SV and Klipsch Image One (although I really hate the 3 button control). But I'm sure someone here knows of something better!

They need to be closed as I often work in public spaces!

I thought I might also mention that I own (but am about to put up on ebay) a set of AKG K81DJ's. I'm not overly keen on them. I find them uncomfortable and a little too bass heavy. 

Looking forward to responses!

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #3,468 of 5,364
Hello! I'm looking for a new, cheap pair of IEMs for everyday use. Budget: 50$ (price+shipping to Latvia). I've previously had Meelectronics M9 and Vsonic GR02 BE and for the moment I have Xears XPA2PRO with detachables. I mainly listen to hardcore music genres like metalcore, deathcore, black metal, death metal and other metal genres (Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Metallica etc). XPA2PRO are really nice for their price (43 euro's with shipping), but for me they are not really suited for metal, but perfect for electronic and pop music. They have really huge bass amount (similar to M9) what I like, but lacks wideness, crispiness and clarity in reproducing higly distorted guitars and other instruments. Highs and treble also don't intregate so well with lows. I really liked M9 because of their wide soundstage, crispy and even aggressive sound. GR02 in overall have way better sound quality than M9, but I found them sounding too boring and tight for me with a noticable lack of bass. It would be perfect if IEM's would combine the wide soundstage (wider=better) of M9, spacious and powerful sound with strong, fast and controlled bass, clear reproduction of every instrument and vocals that are found in hardcore and other metal music and nothing too extended. And also isolation and comfort is pretty important as I have tight ear canals. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #3,469 of 5,364
Quote:
SHP3000 - the Uptown look-alikes?
Sorry, no idea. Open to other alternatives?

Yeah, they do look like Uptowns. I can't find reviews on the web though. How about Sony XB500's or Sennheiser PX100-II's? Both go around $70 brand new here, and they seem to turn up decent reviews. I forgot to look up the Audio Technica models available here, but they're somewhat available so stuff from them would be welcome suggestions. Thanks!

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #3,471 of 5,364
Hi all,

I just bought a pair of Klipsch Reference S4. I am burning them in right now but have been trying them on and off to sample the initial quality. One thing I am noticing is that the eartips do not fit securely in my ear. In the instructions you are asked to make sure the little line on the tips lines up with the gold line on the IEM, and I did that. I have tried this with all the supplied ear tip sizes; in all cases, the tips fall out easily. Others on the Internet have suggested flipping the left and right earbuds (since they angle in a little) and this doesn't work for me either.

Conversely, the tips on my cheapo Sony EX earbuds which I got at Fry's sit securely in my ear, and it's a little troubling that those fit perfectly and the ones on the S4 which cost almost double do not fit properly.

Is there something I am doing wrong or are these earbuds naturally 'slippery'?

Thanks!

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #3,472 of 5,364
Looking for a good pair of IEMs with microphone for use with my cell phone. Have been using the buds that came with my iPhone and have received too many complaints about sound quality at the other end. In addition to microphone and sound quality, I need durability -- they will get shoved in a jacket or pants pocket quite often. Those factors (and comfortable fit of course) are far more important than looks. Budget is flexible but looking for good bang for the buck -- could go as high as $40-60, let's say. Are there any that you can recommend? Edit: current phone is iPhone 4S.

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #3,473 of 5,364
Quote:
TwinQY,

after trying the UE900's for a while I decided to return them. I liked everything about it, (after the pinhole has filled) the soundstage (above average width but the depth is where it truly shines), treble extension is amazing (one of the biggest strength of these phones), airy vocals, lively, neutral/linear/tight bass - very accurate, the amount of bass is just perfect, very involving acoustic guitars and piano's sound magical.  Isolation, comfort and build is also good.

However, i find the vocals lack some emotion since it isn't forward enough for my tastes. I don't know what iem's to look at now, the only ones i can think of is the W4 and 4ai. Since the EX1000 wouldn't have the isolation i want and the treble will be too harsh for me so it's out. Also, i have tried the SM3 but i thought that the lower mids are too thick for my liking. I don't know if i should just stick with the UE's or if i'm being too picky since i like everything else about them but vocals are one of the most important things i look for in an iem and it is really expensive so i just want something that i would really like.

Well the 4.Ai won't be doing any better vocal-wise, not to mention the stage is a bit less coherent, overall a bit more warmed-over. They'd probably be even less forward than the UEs. And the W4s, whilst being extremely proficient vocal-wise, are pretty much the anti-thesis to tight bass (it's nice but relative to the UEs...) and airiness. This is all without added impedance of course, otherwise the signature would likely get around to what you're looking for, but the power-siphoning and general inconvenience would be a rather significant deterrent for portable use.

At this point, you're pretty much at the end of your ropes. Personally I might go back to the UEs and experiment with EQing if you haven't already, since they had pretty much satisfied everything else you were looking for. Otherwise, the only other things left would be the Stax IEMs, which are a real hassle for RL usage, although the sound should be airy enough (don't quote me on this, I've only heard a friends briefly), or perhaps the F111 (if rumors about them being similar to the ER4P has substance) but can't give any direct experience on that front as, well, my DAP battery died as I was trying it :p

Some more unconventional ways to go would be to just bite the bullet and aim for customs, as the amount of time and money you're using experimenting on UIEMs could possibly be completely remedied  by spending good money on something like the UM Miracles (demos have a lot of the attributes you're enjoying on the UEs from memory, not to mention significantly more upper-mids/female vocal registers).

And of course, if the RE-400s I have here are any indication of how the RE-600s will turn out, might just wait for that. Something else you might be interested in as well could be the Tralucents. I might have access to a pair later on to demo, and the general impressions seem to lean towards naturalness, large immersive stage, a slight U-shape. Will let you know how that goes.

Quote:
I posted a similar question over in the full sized thread, forgetting that this forum is not just for IEMs! I'll ask here too.

I recently bought a pair of Audio Technica's ATH A900x. I love 'em. And as I use them more, I love them more. However, I've encountered a wee problem. They aren't exactly travel friendly. They're rather large! I've been nosing around the forums and Amazon for a decent set of over or on ear 'phones that don't have such a large footprint. The thing is, of course, they need to sound good. I like fairly neutral headphones. My favorites are the ATH A900x and Klipsch x10i's (but I need to stay away from IEMs for the time being). I listen to a lot of different kinds of music. Also, I always use my Fiio E7 (because my macbook pro hisses more than I can stand). Now, the problem is that I need to keep the cost down. Absolutely, under $100, but preferably lower. I've been looking at and considering Audio-Technica ATH-ES5SV and Klipsch Image One (although I really hate the 3 button control). But I'm sure someone here knows of something better!

I thought I might also mention that I own (but am about to put up on ebay) a set of AKG K81DJ's. I'm not overly keen on them. I find them uncomfortable and a little too bass heavy. 

"Neutrality", something A900X and X10-like, all-rounder, closed - while not as warm or large in stage size, the airiness and technicalities on the A900X is reminiscent of the S500. Also some WS99 or ES700 owners might want to pipe in here (looking at Wayne here).

Quote:
Hello! I'm looking for a new, cheap pair of IEMs for everyday use. Budget: 50$ (price+shipping to Latvia). I've previously had Meelectronics M9 and Vsonic GR02 BE and for the moment I have Xears XPA2PRO with detachables. I mainly listen to hardcore music genres like metalcore, deathcore, black metal, death metal and other metal genres (Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Metallica etc). XPA2PRO are really nice for their price (43 euro's with shipping), but for me they are not really suited for metal, but perfect for electronic and pop music. They have really huge bass amount (similar to M9) what I like, but lacks wideness, crispiness and clarity in reproducing higly distorted guitars and other instruments. Highs and treble also don't intregate so well with lows. I really liked M9 because of their wide soundstage, crispy and even aggressive sound. GR02 in overall have way better sound quality than M9, but I found them sounding too boring and tight for me with a noticable lack of bass. It would be perfect if IEM's would combine the wide soundstage (wider=better) of M9, spacious and powerful sound with strong, fast and controlled bass, clear reproduction of every instrument and vocals that are found in hardcore and other metal music and nothing too extended. And also isolation and comfort is pretty important as I have tight ear canals. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Proficient at metal, crisp and clear, wide stage (M9-like, though never found them to be particularly wide), fast and controlled bass, isolation, comfort - it really does seem like how people are describing the VC02 at the moment. Since I have not heard them, at all, will strongly refrain from commenting. But just suggesting that you might want to look at them/do some research yourself. Just suggesting. Sorry again for the lack of experience :frowning2:

Quote:
Yeah, they do look like Uptowns. I can't find reviews on the web though. How about Sony XB500's or Sennheiser PX100-II's? Both go around $70 brand new here, and they seem to turn up decent reviews. I forgot to look up the Audio Technica models available here, but they're somewhat available so stuff from them would be welcome suggestions. Thanks!

XB-500s - very textured, aggressive, bassy (well of course 
rolleyes.gif
), crisp. 
PX100-II - warm, coherent, layered but smooth sound. 
ATs...sorry not too familiar with lower-budget portable AT cans. Again, maybe Wayne can step in here.

Quote:
Hi all,

I just bought a pair of Klipsch Reference S4. I am burning them in right now but have been trying them on and off to sample the initial quality. One thing I am noticing is that the eartips do not fit securely in my ear. In the instructions you are asked to make sure the little line on the tips lines up with the gold line on the IEM, and I did that. I have tried this with all the supplied ear tip sizes; in all cases, the tips fall out easily. Others on the Internet have suggested flipping the left and right earbuds (since they angle in a little) and this doesn't work for me either.

Conversely, the tips on my cheapo Sony EX earbuds which I got at Fry's sit securely in my ear, and it's a little troubling that those fit perfectly and the ones on the S4 which cost almost double do not fit properly.

Is there something I am doing wrong or are these earbuds naturally 'slippery'?

Thanks!

The gel tips? They are natural slippery, but an added consequence could have been that the gel did leak somewhat. Happened to me once as well. But you did try all of the tips so it's most likely not the case.

Would go for alternative eartips in this case, as the gels aren't for everyone.

Quote:
Looking for a good pair of IEMs with microphone for use with my cell phone. Have been using the buds that came with my iPhone and have received too many complaints about sound quality at the other end. In addition to microphone and sound quality, I need durability -- they will get shoved in a jacket or pants pocket quite often. Those factors (and comfortable fit of course) are far more important than looks. Budget is flexible but looking for good bang for the buck -- could go as high as $40-60, let's say. Are there any that you can recommend? Edit: current phone is iPhone 4S.

Durable, microphone - and of course sound/signature preferences would be extremely helpful as well, but one to look at would be the E10M. Perhaps the MH1C if you can stand flat cables and J-cords. Again, not very well-versed in budget microphone IEMs, so sorry.

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #3,474 of 5,364
Quote:

I have the AD900X, and I can appreciate the size issue for traveling lol! I just got the WS99's, which are in the process of being burned in. They are closed back, over the ear phones, and if your budget was <=$200, I would be raving about them to you.

For <=$100, I can easily recommend the on ear JVC S500's. Here is the related thread. They are quite well balanced, with a strong and dynamic bass, fairly forward mids, and forward, detailed and extended treble. They are more aggressive than laid back, and are very easy to drive (you don't need an amp at all, although with an amp, they sound even more incredible). They can be folded up into quite a small package for traveling purposes, and they basically, they are amazing value for the money.

Some things to be aware of:

1) The stock pads can make the ears slightly sore after a while for some people (me included). Fortunately, you can get ATH pleather pads that are more comfortable (and reduces the bass slightly). Or you can get HM5 pads and put them right over the stock pads which turn the S500's into "over the ear" headphones and greatly increases the comfort and slightly decreases the bass (which works very well imo).

2) They require a lot of burn-in to sound their best. At first, the bass can be a bit overwhelming, and the treble can be a bit harsh. But after substantial burn in, both of those issues are rectified.

I am not sure if the S500's would have a bit more bass than you would like, but check out the thread if you want more info.

Good luck!

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #3,475 of 5,364
Hi there, 

I'm in search of some high isolation IEMs. My budget runs between 200-250 USD. I have previously owned Westone UM2s and am currently using a pair of Monster Turbines. I'm not totally familiar with the particular lingo, so forgive me if I misuse some word in describing what I'm looking for. 

I'm about to be a freshman in college and I use IEMs when studying, so what's most important to me is isolation. I've heard that Etymotic makes some really good isolating IEMs, but I know nothing about how they actually sound when you put them in. What I listen to runs the gamut from classical to rock to ambient and drone type stuff. I really enjoyed the sound signature of the Westones, and hate the way the Monsters sound, so I've managed to find an EQ solution that works for me. 

So I'm really open to any suggestions, but I'm kind of feeling lost wading through all of my options. And the amount of money I'm willing to spend makes me reluctant to pull any triggers without any other opinions.

Thanks.

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #3,476 of 5,364
I didn't see your post until I just posted to ask for advice. :frowning2:

I am looking for a earphone priced around 100 dollars that has detailed, precise sound reproduction, do you have any suggestions?

I listen to classical music and soft music; I rarely listen to music that has strong bass so I don't have any requirement for it.

If 100 range is too low to meet my requirement, then what price range should I expect? And what earphone do you suggest?

Thank you in advance.

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #3,477 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi there, 

I'm in search of some high isolation IEMs. My budget runs between 200-250 USD. I have previously owned Westone UM2s and am currently using a pair of Monster Turbines. I'm not totally familiar with the particular lingo, so forgive me if I misuse some word in describing what I'm looking for. 

I'm about to be a freshman in college and I use IEMs when studying, so what's most important to me is isolation. I've heard that Etymotic makes some really good isolating IEMs, but I know nothing about how they actually sound when you put them in. What I listen to runs the gamut from classical to rock to ambient and drone type stuff. I really enjoyed the sound signature of the Westones, and hate the way the Monsters sound, so I've managed to find an EQ solution that works for me. 

So I'm really open to any suggestions, but I'm kind of feeling lost wading through all of my options. And the amount of money I'm willing to spend makes me reluctant to pull any triggers without any other opinions.

Thanks.

So something similar to the UM2, 200-250 USD, a good all-rounder, isolation. But why not stick with another UM2 though? They aren't horribly outclassed or anything. Price has dropped down nicely.

Anyways, the usual fare still applies. GR07, X10 (for absolute isolation and warmth, the Etys are much less forgiving and can be rather revealing for drone/noise), BA200, etc. Well underneath the budget (it's of my opinion that the $200-300 tier discrepancy is severely overrated and outperformed, anything below or above that as of right now are much more worthwhile). 

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #3,478 of 5,364
Quote:
I didn't see your post until I just posted to ask for advice. :frowning2:

I am looking for a earphone priced around 100 dollars that has detailed, precise sound reproduction, do you have any suggestions?

I listen to classical music and soft music; I rarely listen to music that has strong bass so I don't have any requirement for it.

If 100 range is too low to meet my requirement, then what price range should I expect? And what earphone do you suggest?

Thank you in advance.

Detail, classical, no strong bass required - would look at the HF5, A161P, or the R-50. The price range is fine for this sort of deal.

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #3,479 of 5,364
Quote:
So something similar to the UM2, 200-250 USD, a good all-rounder, isolation. But why not stick with another UM2 though? They aren't horribly outclassed or anything. Price has dropped down nicely.

Anyways, the usual fare still applies. GR07, X10 (for absolute isolation and warmth, the Etys are much less forgiving and can be rather revealing for drone/noise), BA200, etc. Well underneath the budget (it's of my opinion that the $200-300 tier discrepancy is severely overrated and outperformed, anything below or above that as of right now are much more worthwhile). 

I don't see where the price has dropped down recently, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. So Klipsch would provide the sound I am used to on the UM2s? Is it possible for me to take the triple flanges from the Etys and put them on those IEMs? 

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #3,480 of 5,364
Quote:

I don't see where the price has dropped down recently, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. So Klipsch would provide the sound I am used to on the UM2s? Is it possible for me to take the triple flanges from the Etys and put them on those IEMs? 

Would strongly recommend just using the gel tips instead as they are fairly deep-insertion anyways, tri-flanges would be pushing it. Otherwise, yes they would fit.

A bit more smooth, just as warm, a tad bit more impact but the smoothness is reminiscent enough that it should matter little. Overall FR is similar, yes. Not an upgrade by any means, but a decent alternative. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back