Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 25, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #3,452 of 5,364
Quote: Originally Posted by TwinQY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of the choices, probably (and go for the 425s, the 315s were just a big snooze-fest). Otherwise, the GR07 or the FXZ100.

I don't think I can afford the se425s. The very most I can push is $225. Which would you recommend for that price or less? Thanks again for all the help.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #3,453 of 5,364
Anyone know if shure se215 or jvc fxd80 will go nice with the ak 100? or what do you suggest for around 200 bucks iem? Just looking around ,if nothing around that work I can always go back to my old dt1350

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #3,454 of 5,364
Hey, headphone newbie here.

Anyone here with experience with a Philips SHP 3000? This will be my first pair of headphones and I want to have as little regrets as possible, heh. I mainly listen to music through my computer as I spend time gaming as well. I listen to metal, alternative and videogame soundtracks (classical/techno/bass-y stuff mostly), and recommendations along those lines would be very much appreciated.

The Philips go around for about $50 brand new in my area, and the most that I would like spend is about $70 for your forum's recommended Sony MDR XB500, but if I can save the extra cash, the better.

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #3,455 of 5,364
Hello,

I need a pair of headphones for commuting that will be played thru my Android Tablet (Google/Amazon Music and tablet games) and perhaps a portable gaming system.  I have Sennheiser 598s that will stay in my house, and I have owned Sony (i forget the model).  The Sony headphones sounded good to me at the time, they were the active noise canceling on-ear model with $100 MSRP.  They folded into an included bag but I lost them.  I have no idea if I would have the same opinion of the Sony sound after owning the 598s.  Oh, and I really dislike in-ear headphones.

For music I listen to everything but country, but for headphones I tend to like a mostly even sound with slightly more bass.  My favorite genre is hip-hop and it sounds quite weak with no bass.  

In summary, something on-ear that is comfortable and folds up.  I'll be commuting to an internship and need to store them in a bag without smashing them.  I'm used to Sennheiser 598 for sound, but dont expect the same out of a smaller headphone.  Price $100-250 MSRP.  Would like a number of suggestions, it is preferable if they are sold at Best Buy.

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #3,457 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi.
I need 2 earphones. One for me and one for my bro.

i listen to pop/kpop.

he listens to dubstep, hardstyle, vocal trance etc(stuff with lots of bass?)

I have been reading through the forums for the past week and have come up with the following eaRphones:

for me:
sony mh1c- $35
vsonic gr02 BE- $35
vsonic gr02 silver edition?- $30

for my bro:
brainwavz r1- $23

vsonic gr02 BE- $35

could someone help me?

thanks 
confused_face_2.gif

As mentioned in the other thread, probably the MH1C (no the hype isn't fully warranted - whoever said these beat out the GR02s were....)

Quote:
Last question: How is the durability and sound quality on the sennheiser CX275, the MEElectronics A151P, and the Sennheiser 485HD? I also own the Monoprice 8320 and would these earphones be a large step up from the 8320's?

No idea on the Senns except for the CX275 (fairly plastic, overall average but strain relief is meh). The MEElectronics has much better cabling. Already mentioned sound sig on the other two before.

Quote:
Just curious (if anyone can answer) as to how the Westone 2 and UM2 and UM1 compare to the TDK BA200, SQ wise without considering the pricetag.

More delicate note presentation (softer) on the W2. A bit more treble sparkle (not that these have a lot of treble), staging is more one coherent and focused blob while the TDKs are wider and deeper. Heft/weight is similar to the UM2, but the BA200s are still less warm, a bit clearer. Not sure on detailing/micro-detail since I can't AB them directly right now.

Quote:
I don't think I can afford the se425s. The very most I can push is $225. Which would you recommend for that price or less? Thanks again for all the help.

As mentioned, the GR07 most likely. 
Quote:
Hey, headphone newbie here.

Anyone here with experience with a Philips SHP 3000? This will be my first pair of headphones and I want to have as little regrets as possible, heh. I mainly listen to music through my computer as I spend time gaming as well. I listen to metal, alternative and videogame soundtracks (classical/techno/bass-y stuff mostly), and recommendations along those lines would be very much appreciated.

The Philips go around for about $50 brand new in my area, and the most that I would like spend is about $70 for your forum's recommended Sony MDR XB500, but if I can save the extra cash, the better.

Thanks!

SHP3000 - the Uptown look-alikes?
Sorry, no idea. Open to other alternatives?

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #3,459 of 5,364
So... I'm undecided here. My budget is $100-$200. I need some IEMs for the afore mentioned genres. TwinQy recommends try the GR07. I'm pretty much sold on those. I'd like some more opinions if anyone has any. 
PS:  Thanks TwinQy.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #3,460 of 5,364
Looking for earbuds or IEMS for a friend starting out in the headphone/earphone game.. he currently only has ATH-M50s

Budget: $100-$200
Genre: Electronic/Hip Hop
Isolation: Not Important
Feature (NEED): In-line Microphone

There's so much buds to choose from.. but I couldn't easily sort them out for which ones actually came with a mic.

Any help here? TwinQY? (you do an EXCELLENT job on this thread btw)

edit: forgot to mention I was thinking of recommending the AudioTechnica CKS99 or Monster Turbine Pros for genre/budget/microphone.. 

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #3,461 of 5,364
Quote:
Looking for earbuds or IEMS for a friend starting out in the headphone/earphone game.. he currently only has ATH-M50s

Budget: $100-$200
Genre: Electronic/Hip Hop
Isolation: Not Important
Feature (NEED): In-line Microphone

There's so much buds to choose from.. but I couldn't easily sort them out for which ones actually came with a mic.

Any help here? TwinQY? (you do an EXCELLENT job on this thread btw)

edit: forgot to mention I was thinking of recommending the AudioTechnica CKS99 or Monster Turbine Pros for genre/budget/microphone.. 

CKS99s are a bit hot-sounding. Otherwise it's all about the impact/tightness. So very much an EDM worthy IEM. If you're looking at the Turbine Pros (either Gold or Copper) might as well look at the X10is for a bit more balance. 

But other than that I think you have most of the bases covered. 

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #3,462 of 5,364
My first post so thanks to everyone who contributes to this awesome resource.  So much good info on the site!

I'm looking for some sub $50 IEMs with an inline remote and mic.  I mostly listen to pop/rock.

I'm considering the Sony MH1C but the L-jack looks like it might be a bit too chunky for my Nexus 4 with the official bumper.  Can anyone with this setup confirm the fit?

I'm also open to any other suggestions that fit the bill. 

Thanks!

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #3,463 of 5,364
Quote:
My first post so thanks to everyone who contributes to this awesome resource.  So much good info on the site!

I'm looking for some sub $50 IEMs with an inline remote and mic.  I mostly listen to pop/rock.

I'm considering the Sony MH1C but the L-jack looks like it might be a bit too chunky for my Nexus 4 with the official bumper.  Can anyone with this setup confirm the fit?

I'm also open to any other suggestions that fit the bill. 

Thanks!

Hate to say it but I'm not too savvy on mic capable stuff under $50. Possibly the E10M, fairly clean and fun sounding. Otherwise never cared for the other mic'ed sets at this price. Which was why the MH1C was an eye-opener.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #3,464 of 5,364
Okay, so I'm new here, and I could really use some help. I am in the market for a new pair of IEM's. As far as budget goes, I'm willing to spend up to $1500, but I'd rather spend much less.

I mostly listen to music with a 5th gen video iPod. I've heard that getting an amp is wise, but I know nothing about them. I'm open to suggestions that include an amp, but I would want one small enough that it could be carried around with the iPod while listening.

It is important that my listening is as private as possible. Ideally, I could listen to music at a high volume and have no one else hear it, but that may not be reasonable, so I'm just looking for the closest possible option. I'd also like to block as much outside noise as possible. My favorite fits have all been IEM's that go far into the ear canal.

As for sound, I listen to all genres of music, so I'd love a pair of IEM's that can handle everything well.

I can also say what I think about the few headphones I've tried, although I'm sure I'll say something humiliating while trying to describe them. I've used the following sets in the same ways: my iPod, fairly loud, with the EQ set to off.

Monoprice 8320 - I find the sound of this set incredibly harsh and unlikable. I think it might be the mids I find so abrasive, but sometimes the treble seems to be the problem. Either way, I have to turn the volume down considerably to even use this set, and then everything sounds very distant. I don't know how to say this any better, but I also feel like this set doesn't sound "full" enough...?

JVC HA-RX700 - I know they are not IEM's, but they are the other set I own. I don't find this set as frustrating as the Monoprice pair, but at even moderate volumes, everything sounds blurred together into one sound. There are songs I listen to where I know of a certain instrument or some vocals that are present, but I can't hear them with these headphones at all. I have found that turning on the acoustic EQ preset improves the sound of the lead vocals in songs where a vocalist is present, but it further destroys the rest of the sound.

Altec Lansing UHP336 - I do not own this pair anymore, and it's been years since I used them, but I liked this pair when I had them. I don't remember what it was that I did like about them, but I do know I felt as though I could hear more pieces of the song than headphones I'd had prior. However, the build quality was inconsistent, and I kept having them replaced until I was eventually sent a pair that didn't sound the same, after which I gave up on them. It's been so long since I used this pair that I'm not sure I would even still like them, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

That's all I can think to say. I tried to be thorough. I really need to find headphones that I love. I'm listening to or working with music many hours of the day, and it's just time I made a proper investment. Hopefully someone can give me a few options at various price points that I might be happy with. Thanks in advance, if so!

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #3,465 of 5,364
Quote:
Okay, so I'm new here, and I could really use some help. I am in the market for a new pair of IEM's. As far as budget goes, I'm willing to spend up to $1500, but I'd rather spend much less.

I mostly listen to music with a 5th gen video iPod. I've heard that getting an amp is wise, but I know nothing about them. I'm open to suggestions that include an amp, but I would want one small enough that it could be carried around with the iPod while listening.

It is important that my listening is as private as possible. Ideally, I could listen to music at a high volume and have no one else hear it, but that may not be reasonable, so I'm just looking for the closest possible option. I'd also like to block as much outside noise as possible. My favorite fits have all been IEM's that go far into the ear canal.

As for sound, I listen to all genres of music, so I'd love a pair of IEM's that can handle everything well.

I can also say what I think about the few headphones I've tried, although I'm sure I'll say something humiliating while trying to describe them. I've used the following sets in the same ways: my iPod, fairly loud, with the EQ set to off.

Monoprice 8320 - I find the sound of this set incredibly harsh and unlikable. I think it might be the mids I find so abrasive, but sometimes the treble seems to be the problem. Either way, I have to turn the volume down considerably to even use this set, and then everything sounds very distant. I don't know how to say this any better, but I also feel like this set doesn't sound "full" enough...?

JVC HA-RX700 - I know they are not IEM's, but they are the other set I own. I don't find this set as frustrating as the Monoprice pair, but at even moderate volumes, everything sounds blurred together into one sound. There are songs I listen to where I know of a certain instrument or some vocals that are present, but I can't hear them with these headphones at all. I have found that turning on the acoustic EQ preset improves the sound of the lead vocals in songs where a vocalist is present, but it further destroys the rest of the sound.

Altec Lansing UHP336 - I do not own this pair anymore, and it's been years since I used them, but I liked this pair when I had them. I don't remember what it was that I did like about them, but I do know I felt as though I could hear more pieces of the song than headphones I'd had prior. However, the build quality was inconsistent, and I kept having them replaced until I was eventually sent a pair that didn't sound the same, after which I gave up on them. It's been so long since I used this pair that I'm not sure I would even still like them, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

That's all I can think to say. I tried to be thorough. I really need to find headphones that I love. I'm listening to or working with music many hours of the day, and it's just time I made a proper investment. Hopefully someone can give me a few options at various price points that I might be happy with. Thanks in advance, if so!

Anything goes? Make my job easier (but will try and be nice to your wallet).
Deep insertion (strange that IEMs would leak for you at all unless you're cranking it up at 100%), all-rounder, didn't like the 8320 so something warmer, fuller, more laid-back, seems like you want some more forward mids and clarity as well.

To be honest, if you're not looking to spend too much on the first go, would try to demo or buy-and-return something (relatively) lower-budget like the X10 (especially for deep insertion), FXZ100 or the IE800 (TDKs not the Senns) to see if you'll warm up to a more mid-forward, fuller sound. And then if you feel a need for better technicalities later on, would jump on something like the SM3 or the W4, not a huge jump but it's there and the budget's apparently there as well. For top-tier stuff, the TG334 might mesh very, very well with you but will think of that wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back