Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #3,436 of 5,364
Muse Shure Music + Mic Volume Control Cable

Hi, I am frustrated with the poor quality of the Shure accessory cable for Android phones (CBL-M Music Phone Accessory Cable) -- it seems like every 6 months or so I wind up sending it back because the cords have started to split, the wiring is getting exposed, etc. Shure has been good about replacing them but I am also looking into alternatives and found the following:

MUSE SHURE Music + Mic Volume Control Cable
http://muse-headphones.com/product_item.php?id=11

available on ebay for around $40.

I haven't seen any reviews and was wondering if anyone had tried these.

Thanks and apologies in advance if this is the wrong place or if I missed a previous discussion in my searches.

PS - The best solution probably would be for Shure to use higher quality materials in their accessory cables. This stock cable feels sturdier and I've never had problems with it, although I don't use it as much. I wonder why Shure hasn't fixed this.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #3,437 of 5,364

Warmth, smooth - strangely even the price ranges are disparate, they do perform rather similarly technicality-wise. The IE80 would be much more bass-heavy/aggressive than the HD650s. The SE535 would have a similar tonality, but a tad too mid-centric and balance isn't quite there. If you're going for a HD650-sound-alike, would check out the W4 or the eQ-5 in this case (hate recommending current stuff I own and am biased against, but these do fit rather well)

Thanks for the answer, got one more earphone on my mind The Monster turbine can it compete with the iem mentioned above if you look at my preferences

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #3,438 of 5,364
Quote:
Depends. Haven't heard too much of the MEElectronics headphones
Whoops see you're talking about the IEMs. That's even harder. Obviously the A161P would have most of the others beat in terms of sheer technicalities and balance. But really depends on sound preference. Not to mention Best Buy will likely not stock them :p

Which one sounds better? As in, which has a larger soundstage and can play deep bass, or really high treble? Also, how is their durability and would you recommend these to someone who listens to mainly classical, electro/dubstep, and metal (not screamo)?

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #3,439 of 5,364
Quote:
1) Either you're not a fan of the warm signature - secretly a basshead (which AT phones were those?)
2) You're REALLY not getting a good fit
3) You're not used to them
4) Dud pair.

All I can think of as of right now.
Website? CD rips or online streaming sites like MOG (320kbps although if you're above 192 it's all good anyways)

Those would be fine. Might not be enough treble though.

Something like this? http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=118#
http://shop.frogbeats.com/headphone-carry-case
I'll grab some more links later, but they are for sure portable. I've tried them numerous times, they are made for portable purposes.

DT770s usually come with velour. In fact Beyer velour pads are probably, if not, the comfiest velour pads around.
Have not heard the DT1350s, sorry. Usually for Beyer recs, I'll link people to this - http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more
They have reviews you can compare for both. The DT770s have been touted as being bassier numerous times though.

Sound preferences? Genres, signature, etc? Want something similar to the Shures?
You could do over-ear with the HF5, just that you'd have to insert them quite deeply (otherwise the cable is extremely microphonic). But it is possible.

The FXT90s are much more sparkly, and much more warm/lush. Same with the XBA-3, warm and lush. A bit of a peak in the treble as well. The other two are much smoother in comparison.

Good, good....Finally another post-rocker.

As mentioned in the other thread, does sound like the GR07 out of the whole lot. 

Having heard the RE-400 only too briefly (as in a customary 5 minutes), will refrain from commenting completely on that from, but the HF5/R-50s would do great for classical, fantastic separation and clarity. The R-50s have much more treble energy, cable is a bit stiff, but still very impressive. The Etys isolate quite a bit, very linear, all about the width/separation.

Hey, I ended up purchasing a Shure Carrying Pouch as an add-on item for my COPs. I really wasn't persuaded enough that the cases you gave me could fit my headphones.
Cheers.

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #3,440 of 5,364
Back in the market for some IEMs or some good sound isolating over or on-the-ear headphones. 

Music I listen to:
65% - Downtempo, trip-hop, hip-hop (lots of Christian hip-hop, mixed with Massive Attack, Thievery Corporation, Tosca, Portishead, RJD2, Diplo, Kruder & Dorfmeister)
35% - Heavier rock, metal (lots of Christian metal/heavier rock such as Demon Hunter, As I Lay Dying, Haste the Day, Project 86, War of Ages)

Sources used:
For the purposes of these headphones or IEMs, I'd be using my macbook pro retina (1st gen 15" model) with either Spotify "high-quality" streaming, or my personal FLAC and ALAC mixed collection.

I am currently using LG Tones to try out bluetooth connectivity, and it's surprisingly good, however I work in a loud office environment and really want better isolation, and even though I have some Comply Tx400 tips on the way, I'd like to look at some wired headphones or IEMs and POTENTIALLY get custom tips made, or just stick with Comply's (unless of course it's over/on-the-ear headphones).

I figure I can go this route to get get wireless connectivity, but still have the convenience of wired when batteries run low: http://www.head-fi.org/t/574968/convert-wired-headphones-to-bluetooth/15#post_8851259

My price range is preferably below $200USD; though, could be stretched if it meant getting customs made for the IEMs.

Also, I wear glasses 100% of the time when I'd be listening to music. 

So, in closing, I'm wanting primarily sound isolation (I'd rather not risk active noise cancellation and lose audio quality, especially when I'm using my local ALAC/FLAC source), I'm not a "bass head", but do appreciate solid bass where applicable, e.g., i don't like overpowering bass. I'd likely eventually hook up whatever purchased IEMs or headphones to an aptX capable bluetooth receiver for some wireless listening where possible. I also REALLY don't want the microphonics effects with IEMs, hence my desire to maybe look at custom molds.

Thanks for the help and suggestions! (sorry for the huge amount of information I'm providing, hopefully it helps in getting some recommendations going -  please let me know if I missed any bits of information).

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #3,442 of 5,364
Hi everyone. I'm new here. Let me get right to the point. 
Okay. So I've been doing a ton of research on many different IEMs.
I've only just found out that there are far more superior IEMs than Bose has to offer in that price bracket. I wanted some expert advice on which to choose. Here's some info on my tastes to help:
- Trance (Armin Van Burren, Above & Beyond, etc.)
- Metal/Rock/Industrial (Rammstein, SOAD, Metallica,    
   Korn, blah blah blah)
- Video Game Music
- Hip-hop (occasionally/mostly bboy music)
- Score (Eric Serra, Hans Zimmer)
- Other Electronic (Daft Punk, Rob Dougan, Prodigy)

I listen to much more, but there's a few to start. The IEMs that I've seen a lot in the forums are:
- UE Triple-fi 10
- Shure se315/425
- Etymotic HF5/ER-4PT
- Grad 07/08
- BA200
- Seinnheiser IE6/IE8

I have no idea where to start. My budget is $100 - $200. Please help! :frowning2:

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #3,443 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys, so 6 months after I understood my IE8s were fake and broke I thought it might be time for some some new IEMs.

Budget: Can stretch to £150 but ideally near the £100 mark
Music: 60% Drum and bass, 20% Other dance music, 10% Experimental electronic, 10% Rock/other
Tastes may shift and I plan to start listening to more rock but drum and bass seems to be a mainstay.
Running off: A Cowon X7 and FiiO E7

I'm all ready considering Klipsh X10s and the Velodyne vPulse which are both around £100 but new suggestions as well as advice are welcome, thanks in advance.

Sound sig preferences?

But I'll take a crack and say that the FXD80s or the X10s mentioned would do fine. Nice dynamics, aggressive enough.

Quote:
Warmth, smooth - strangely even the price ranges are disparate, they do perform rather similarly technicality-wise. The IE80 would be much more bass-heavy/aggressive than the HD650s. The SE535 would have a similar tonality, but a tad too mid-centric and balance isn't quite there. If you're going for a HD650-sound-alike, would check out the W4 or the eQ-5 in this case (hate recommending current stuff I own and am biased against, but these do fit rather well)

Thanks for the answer, got one more earphone on my mind The Monster turbine can it compete with the iem mentioned above if you look at my preferences

Which Turbine? The regular, the Copper, or the Gold?
Quote:
Quote:
Depends. Haven't heard too much of the MEElectronics headphones
Whoops see you're talking about the IEMs. That's even harder. Obviously the A161P would have most of the others beat in terms of sheer technicalities and balance. But really depends on sound preference. Not to mention Best Buy will likely not stock them :p

Which one sounds better? As in, which has a larger soundstage and can play deep bass, or really high treble? Also, how is their durability and would you recommend these to someone who listens to mainly classical, electro/dubstep, and metal (not screamo)?

Sound is not quantitative like that. Large stage size and extension aren't the end-all-be-all. And of course I have no idea HOW you would like those genres to be presented, or which aspects you listen to the most. 
Quote:
Back in the market for some IEMs or some good sound isolating over or on-the-ear headphones. 

Music I listen to:
65% - Downtempo, trip-hop, hip-hop (lots of Christian hip-hop, mixed with Massive Attack, Thievery Corporation, Tosca, Portishead, RJD2, Diplo, Kruder & Dorfmeister)
35% - Heavier rock, metal (lots of Christian metal/heavier rock such as Demon Hunter, As I Lay Dying, Haste the Day, Project 86, War of Ages)

Sources used:
For the purposes of these headphones or IEMs, I'd be using my macbook pro retina (1st gen 15" model) with either Spotify "high-quality" streaming, or my personal FLAC and ALAC mixed collection.

I am currently using LG Tones to try out bluetooth connectivity, and it's surprisingly good, however I work in a loud office environment and really want better isolation, and even though I have some Comply Tx400 tips on the way, I'd like to look at some wired headphones or IEMs and POTENTIALLY get custom tips made, or just stick with Comply's (unless of course it's over/on-the-ear headphones).

I figure I can go this route to get get wireless connectivity, but still have the convenience of wired when batteries run low: http://www.head-fi.org/t/574968/convert-wired-headphones-to-bluetooth/15#post_8851259

My price range is preferably below $200USD; though, could be stretched if it meant getting customs made for the IEMs.

Also, I wear glasses 100% of the time when I'd be listening to music. 

So, in closing, I'm wanting primarily sound isolation (I'd rather not risk active noise cancellation and lose audio quality, especially when I'm using my local ALAC/FLAC source), I'm not a "bass head", but do appreciate solid bass where applicable, e.g., i don't like overpowering bass. I'd likely eventually hook up whatever purchased IEMs or headphones to an aptX capable bluetooth receiver for some wireless listening where possible. I also REALLY don't want the microphonics effects with IEMs, hence my desire to maybe look at custom molds.

Thanks for the help and suggestions! (sorry for the huge amount of information I'm providing, hopefully it helps in getting some recommendations going -  please let me know if I missed any bits of information).

Over-ear wearing for IEMs remedies microphonics significantly, as does using the cable cinch and pulling them to the back of the head while wearing from the back. It's what we usually do on stage, and still works fairly well with a stage wireless IEM system. And of course headphone only have cable noise, not the occlusion effect.

Leveled bass is helpful but other preferences in terms of stage size, midrange quantity/presentation, note presentation, speed, how you like the genres to be presented in particular, treble quantity/presentation, would be helpful as well.

Quote:
Hey, I ended up purchasing a Shure Carrying Pouch as an add-on item for my COPs. I really wasn't persuaded enough that the cases you gave me could fit my headphones.
Cheers.

No problem Mr.Bieber. Hope you like them!
Quote:
Hi everyone. I'm new here. Let me get right to the point. 
Okay. So I've been doing a ton of research on many different IEMs.
I've only just found out that there are far more superior IEMs than Bose has to offer in that price bracket. I wanted some expert advice on which to choose. Here's some info on my tastes to help:
- Trance (Armin Van Burren, Above & Beyond, etc.)
- Metal/Rock/Industrial (Rammstein, SOAD, Metallica,    
   Korn, blah blah blah)
- Video Game Music
- Hip-hop (occasionally/mostly bboy music)
- Score (Eric Serra, Hans Zimmer)
- Other Electronic (Daft Punk, Rob Dougan, Prodigy)

I listen to much more, but there's a few to start. The IEMs that I've seen a lot in the forums are:
- UE Triple-fi 10
- Shure se315/425
- Etymotic HF5/ER-4PT
- Grad 07/08
- BA200
- Seinnheiser IE6/IE8

I have no idea where to start. My budget is $100 - $200. Please help! :frowning2:

Out of the 6, would not go for the Etys if you find neutrality to be sterile or are looking for some added edge/aggressiveness (especially for your genres). Shures are similarly balanced but much more dynamic and smoothed over (not as fatiguing). I have no idea what the Grad 07/08 are (maybe a typo?) so no comment there. The BA200s are smooth, balanced, and oh-so-soft sounding. Possibly not as much energy for those genres as you might want. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #3,444 of 5,364

Out of the 6, would not go for the Etys if you find neutrality to be sterile or are looking for some added edge/aggressiveness (especially for your genres). Shures are similarly balanced but much more dynamic and smoothed over (not as fatiguing). I have no idea what the Grad 07/08 are (maybe a typo?) so no comment there. The BA200s are smooth, balanced, and oh-so-soft sounding. Possibly not as much energy for those genres as you might want. 

Thanks. So should I go for the Shures?

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #3,445 of 5,364
Quote:

Thanks. So should I go for the Shures?

Out of the choices, probably (and go for the 425s, the SE315s were just a big snooze-fest). Otherwise, the GR07 or the FXZ100.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #3,446 of 5,364
TwinQY

You seem to recommend the e-q5 only reluctantly, any particular reason?  I chose them because they suit my preferences, so there is no second-guessing going on but I am curious since you really seem to know the differences between brands/types/etc so well. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #3,447 of 5,364
Everyone seems to want to ask me this 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Just to add to the list, the Ortofon eq-5 sounds really natural, is very easy to drive and has excellent mids. Isolation is goos. They can be had for just under 200, so id you're looking for something with less bass than the fxz200, you might want to take them in consideration.

@TwinQY: no offence intended, but I was wondering why you don't recommend the eq5. They're stellar at the current price point and have been rated highly by both Joker and ClieOS at a much higher price. Just curious, so please don't take it the wrong way!
smily_headphones1.gif

I own the eQ-5 currently and am heavily biased against it. Might be strange but I find it a conflict of interest personally. Would much rather recommend stuff that I own but very occasionally use, previously owned or borrowed extensively (less of these two), it's much more impersonal that way. It's also why I avoid talking about the MT300s or the W4s or the 3.Ai too often (although when it's very fitting I will have to) as those are the ones I use on a daily basis and rave about, but feel fine recommending the FXD80 and the M2s since they are kept in a drawer with little use. Usually listening memory/experience is not an issue, I can grab them out whenever to answer a specific question or just refer to my notes.

If anyone asks about them though, I would gladly answer in kind or provide opinions. I just see it as a dilemma to recommend something off the bat one is heavily skewed towards. I enjoy the Ortofons too much to be partial when talking about them. It might seem to not make much sense to  not recommend something you like and own, but I have to be as impartial as possible here and adjust for new-toy syndrome. Of course some bias will slip in but I do what I can to prevent too much of that.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #3,448 of 5,364
I understand your reasoning, I do see a lot of enthusiasm for the item of choice in a lot of recommendations (but I suppose that could be a chicken vs egg argument).
Quote:
Everyone seems to want to ask me this 
tongue.gif

That, sir is a compliment.  It is high praise indeed to have your opinion often sought and infrequently panned.
beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #3,449 of 5,364
Hi.
I need 2 earphones. One for me and one for my bro.

i listen to pop/kpop.

he listens to dubstep, hardstyle, vocal trance etc(stuff with lots of bass?)

I have been reading through the forums for the past week and have come up with the following eaRphones:

for me:
sony mh1c- $35
vsonic gr02 BE- $35
vsonic gr02 silver edition?- $30

for my bro:
brainwavz r1- $23

vsonic gr02 BE- $35

could someone help me?

thanks 
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #3,450 of 5,364
Quote:
Sound is not quantitative like that. Large stage size and extension aren't the end-all-be-all. And of course I have no idea HOW you would like those genres to be presented, or which aspects you listen to the most. 

Last question: How is the durability and sound quality on the sennheiser CX275, the MEElectronics A151P, and the Sennheiser 485HD? I also own the Monoprice 8320 and would these earphones be a large step up from the 8320's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back