Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jan 27, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #2,626 of 5,364
Quote:
amazon isn't working so i can't pull up a link.

I lost the jvc explosives and I need a replacement, I have the cheap iems that everyone loves from monoprice but the fit is just awful, what a crappy design.

I need to replace those with something with a case, any recommendations?

Wait, did you want IEMs or foldable headphones? Anyways, genres, comfort, sound preferences, isolation, build, the usual fare...otherwise hard to narrow stuff down.

Plenty of people use the UE crush-proof metallic cases http://www.amazon.com/Original-Ultimate-Ears-metallic-earphones/dp/B008GWJ0KK, but a bit pricey. An Altoids can usually works well enough 
wink.gif

Yes, by cheapo consumer Sonys, I meant those. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #2,627 of 5,364
Quote:
Yes, they seem to have a good line up, and I've at least seen one person mentioning them on here. The stuff there like the Q460 and the Portapros should be taken with heavy consideration, very portable, very nice sound. AT M30s (not a big fan of the SJ33) are decent as well, not as portable though.

haha the Q460 is WAY  beyond my budget it costs 13000INR (260$) and my budget is around 40$-60$ and how are the 202iis,205s and 203s or should i just go ahead buy the px100iis?

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #2,628 of 5,364
Quote:
haha the Q460 is WAY  beyond my budget it costs 13000INR (260$) and my budget is around 40$-60$ and how are the 202iis,205s and 203s or should i just go ahead buy the px100iis?

Did I say Q460? Sorry, meant K430. Always got the two mixed up. It's not the green one.

If choosing between the Senns, yeah, the PX100ii, but once you throw the AKG and Koss in...

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #2,629 of 5,364
Quote:
Did I say Q460? Sorry, meant K430. Always got the two mixed up. It's not the green one.

If choosing between the Senns, yeah, the PX100ii, but once you throw the AKG and Koss in...

even that  takes quite a leap, haha it costs 9000INR (180$) 3-4 times my budget......and koss,AKG,AT dont have enough service centers in india as well....so now i guess 

also, denon ah d310 are also available

so ive narrowed it down to 202ii,205,203,px80, px100ii,px200ii and denon ahd310

so considering portability,sound(for rock,metal,rap and electronica) and Vfm, should i get the px100ii?

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #2,630 of 5,364
Quote:
even that  takes quite a leap, haha it costs 9000INR (180$) 3-4 times my budget......and koss,AKG,AT dont have enough service centers in india as well....so now i guess 

also, denon ah d310 are also available

so ive narrowed it down to 202ii,205,203,px80, px100ii,px200ii and denon ahd310

so considering portability,sound(for rock,metal,rap and electronica) and Vfm, should i get the px100ii?

The Denons look nice, like mini-CAL!s.

Sorry, I'm very bad at currency conversions :frowning2:

The other Senns don't bend as well, and from the looks of the headband material, they look to be the same as my HD428s. Which is to say not very substantial. The PX will be the more aggressive sounding out of the lot.

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #2,631 of 5,364
Quote:
The Denons look nice, like mini-CAL!s.

Sorry, I'm very bad at currency conversions :frowning2:

The other Senns don't bend as well, and from the looks of the headband material, they look to be the same as my HD428s. Which is to say not very substantial. The PX will be the more aggressive sounding out of the lot.

ok thanks a lot for your help! ill be buying the px100ii then.... :)

its okay you were really helpful! 

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #2,632 of 5,364
Need some help, ive been looking at the vsonic gr04 pro flagship for a while, its supposed to be underrated and sits right below the 07. Just wondering if itd be worth it to save up for the 07 or not. The only headphones i have right now are the shure srh840 and grado sr80i, and im running them off of either my fiio e17, or through a vintage pioneer sx-727 feed by a dac destroyer. I listen to mostly progressive rock and metal, Tool, meshuggah, between the buried and me, and then older grunge, alice in chains, pearl jam and the like. Thanks for any help here.

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #2,633 of 5,364
Quote:
amazon isn't working so i can't pull up a link.

I lost the jvc explosives and I need a replacement, I have the cheap iems that everyone loves from monoprice but the fit is just awful, what a crappy design.

I need to replace those with something with a case, any recommendations?

okay so i have a similar situation as this guy.
I'm looking for some IEM's, preferrably under 200$. MAYBE even venturing to 300.
(im not an audiophile and am still fairly new to this scene)

I'm mainly looking for some bass heavy buds. 
nothing too ridiculously overpowering, id like a good balance but i really need some good bass. (The only somewhat expensive buds ive experienced were the T-PEOS H100s. really bright treble... i only get a great amount of bass out of it if i hook em up to my PC.)

Something that doesnt need an amp.

I am also using an ipod touch 4th gen.

I listen to alot of dubstep. progressive house, glitchstep/glitchhop.  ya get the point.
other stuff i listen to: alternative rock, metalcore/post-hardcore, acoustic, indie

I've heard the Xtreme Xplosives were great for bassheads. Are they sufficient? They are also cheap, if im not mistaken. I might invest in a pair of these to test them out.

Greatly appreciate the help.

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #2,635 of 5,364
Check the Ortofons e-Q5, they are amazing with Balanced across the spectrum as well as great bass,not a bass head though..
one can get them for under 200 from MA

Quote:

I'm looking for some IEM's, preferrably under 200$. MAYBE even venturing to 300.

nothing too ridiculously overpowering, id like a good balance but i really need some good bass. (The only somewhat expensive buds ive experienced were the T-PEOS H100s. really bright treble... i only get a great amount of bass out of it if i hook em up to my PC.)

I listen to alot of dubstep. progressive house, glitchstep/glitchhop.  ya get the point.
other stuff i listen to: alternative rock, metalcore/post-hardcore, acoustic, indie

I've heard the Xtreme Xplosives were great for bassheads. Are they sufficient? They are also cheap, if im not mistaken. I might invest in a pair of these to test them out.

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #2,636 of 5,364
Quote:

^^e-Q5s are definitely NOT bassy. But the bass is rendered extremely well, extremely tactile and textured response, almost planar-like in a way. More of a mids phones than anything else, so good balance.

Xplosives have nice bass for the price, if you could ramp it up the MT300s and GR02 Bass do even better. Right under 200, Atrios, MTPG, hit hard in their respective ways (Atrios are mostly subbass and great kick, Turbines are about the texture and lushness). For sheer EDM/dub, FXD80/T90s.

Quote:
Need some help, ive been looking at the vsonic gr04 pro flagship for a while, its supposed to be underrated and sits right below the 07. Just wondering if itd be worth it to save up for the 07 or not. The only headphones i have right now are the shure srh840 and grado sr80i, and im running them off of either my fiio e17, or through a vintage pioneer sx-727 feed by a dac destroyer. I listen to mostly progressive rock and metal, Tool, meshuggah, between the buried and me, and then older grunge, alice in chains, pearl jam and the like. Thanks for any help here.

The GR04s have a pretty similar signature on paper, mid-centric, both ends tapering off, but in reality the notes are a bit more thick on the VSonics. They'd do good for prog. 

Quote:
one last thing, are the px 100-iis good for running?

They fit right in the pocket, so pretty convenient. Clamp can be a hit or miss, but haven't heard too much people having them fall off just yet.

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #2,637 of 5,364
Quote:

Budget? Any thoughts in terms of sound?

The glasses criteria makes it a bit finicky to gauge comfort levels. For example, my friend wears a pair, and he owns several Grados and other on-ears, having no problem with the fit. It really has to do with the shape of the head/ears in the end. Usually on-ears are better in this regard, but as you said, there have even been complaints against the M80s. 

Something like the HD25-1 would have smaller, tighter pads - maybe that'd be something worth looking into.

The problem with a numerical ranking system would be that they'd simply be an very wishy-washy metric for sound, in this case enjoyment of sound. Anything that attempts to place an arbitrary number on the human listening experience would not work as well as one would want due to the sheer, incalculable amount of subjectivity from the impression, failure to account for perception/personal preference on the other users' end, or to account for any particular strength one IEM may have (something like headphone Y could have the clearest, most detailed midrange ever, but still falls short OVERALL in comparison to headphone X) and then be ruled out completely because they take too much value into the ranking numbers. Even though they might have been wanting, or would have preferred, a mid-centric phone all this time. It's just a way for the reviewers to make it easy for the extremely lazy reader, but they understand that it's all really, really relative.

Personally, I would not be able to rank the stuff I have even if you forced me. They're pretty spread out across the price board, but all excel with their respective areas that the whole concept of having a pedestal for the "best" sounding one just seems moot.

In regards to the "value" thing being mentioned, it looks to me like you're attempting to "cheat the system" in a way. Which is understandable, most just want the last, greatest thing on the planet for as cheap as possible and get it all over with. Only thing is, the system just doesn't work like that, or at least for headphones. 

Also, the recommendation system doesn't really work unless you describe/explain your preferences and set reasonable criteria to follow. From then we can help suggest starting points to look at. I'd suggest coming back from scratch and re-evaluate what you're looking for exactly.

Sigh, if I had to concede though, GR07s and the PFE122 do indeed have a "easy to get into" (as in forgiving and not very offensive while not crossing the line of extremely euphonic and coloured) sound. I'll leave it at that. If you just want an easy way out...

thanks. i would love to audition all the earphones i have in mind in person if i could but practically not likely to occur, otherwise there won't be so many people on forums for an easier way out either. haha.

the Gr07s dont really look like they can be worn straight down at the angle the wire exits the earphone, i'd love to wear them over the ears too but i'm already wearing spectacles, so i have decided to look for earphones that allow me to wear them straight down. :)

this post won't have existed if i wasn't disappointed with the sunrise xcape ie's performance compared to the cheapo panasonic hje-270-k i had. to be frank, the xcape ie's bass is not even as punchy/natural as the panasonic, the panasonic sounds more dynamic with bass and even sounds a little less veiled, overall. (maybe because the panasonic has 3 vent holes on the back while the xcape ie has none any where)

i even seem to notice that the treble/upper mids on xcape ie sounds like a touch and go, the highest note/sound seems to just appear then disappear but on the panasonic it sound a wee bit more natural as the treble drags on for a split second before disappearing, sort of like a fade out

the xcape ie also seems to separate the instruments by quite a bit, to the point you can feel a clear separation between the instrument/guitar and the vocals, feels like singer is infront of me but guitar is 4-5 metres away either on the left or right side but never on both sides.

it might because of this same separation effect that i seem to hear some minute details never noticed in the panasonic which i thought was never projected by the panasonic but after going back and forth between the two i realise that it is only because the panasonic sounds so harmonious (all the sounds are mixed into the center) that's why the minute details go unnoticed if i wasn't specifically listening for them.

i must also state that i used the xcape ie for 2 weeks continuously, daily for an average of 6-8 hrs a day and yet at the end of the 2 weeks, on a few occasions, i happen to go back to the panasonic very briefly and ALWAYS on these occasions, within few minutes of listening to music,  i felt like i had "upgraded" to a "higher end" sounding pair of earphones because the total mixture of the all the sound felt so much more natural and pleasing to the ears. i never understand why the cheapo 20 dollar panasonic earphones always seem to be a wonderful retreat compared to the 80 dollar xcape ie which seems inferior and supposedly has a sound quality score of 8+/10 from other pros with lots of reviewing experience in this forum

the separation sounded unnatural i do not know how to appreciate it, as to my knowledge even a concert hall doesn't sound like the different instruments are separated from each other to such an extent and such a different in volume(left and right ear) that the instruments give me a visual impression of a boy squatting in the extreme left or right corners of a room, isolated from the singer in the middle of the room.

other than the separation and it's effects, sound wise both are 90% similar. it feels the 60 dollars difference in pricing almost did nothing in terms of sound quality improvement.

that's the chain of thoughts and experience that told me i should probably save up and invest in something that might give the boost in overall sound quality i wanted.

the most disturbing thing is to find that at any 1 time, going back to the panasonic made my ears feel so much more relieved and lifted from fatigue of unnatural sound after listening to the xcape ie. frankly, i dont even know how to proceed from here, are expensive earphones all sounding like the xcape ie or even more separated?

in the previous post i listed many criterias, but music genre wise i genuinely listen to all of these listed: pop, edm, trance, classical, orchestra, instrumental, ambient, new age, rock, oldies, soul. that's why i been looking for an earphone that can play all of these well which i also think might be a tough criteria as most people probably are not as all-over-the-place when it comes to music genres and from looking at the dips in decibel vs frequency response curves of earphones, inferring the limits of an earphone at catering to all 3 sections, bass, mid, highs equally well.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #2,639 of 5,364
Xplosives have nice bass for the price, if you could ramp it up the MT300s and GR02 Bass do even better. Right under 200, Atrios, MTPG, hit hard in their respective ways (Atrios are mostly subbass and great kick, Turbines are about the texture and lushness). For sheer EDM/dub, FXD80/T90s.

Were you referring to the atrios mg7?
I didn't do extensive research as I'm on my iPod but I saw some threads on the mg7 / mg5.

Sub bass is definitely something I am looking for. And atrios seem to be well known for that?

Will look into this more tomorrow. I appreciate the help !!

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #2,640 of 5,364
Quote:
thanks. i would love to audition all the earphones i have in mind in person if i could but practically not likely to occur, otherwise there won't be so many people on forums for an easier way out either. haha.

the Gr07s dont really look like they can be worn straight down at the angle the wire exits the earphone, i'd love to wear them over the ears too but i'm already wearing spectacles, so i have decided to look for earphones that allow me to wear them straight down. :) They'd sort of work straight down. I didn't like the over-the-ear because the cable felt funny, and sure enough, didn't seem to fall off hanging straight down.

this post won't have existed if i wasn't disappointed with the sunrise xcape ie's performance compared to the cheapo panasonic hje-270-k i had. to be frank, the xcape ie's bass is not even as punchy/natural as the panasonic, the panasonic sounds more dynamic with bass and even sounds a little less veiled, overall. (maybe because the panasonic has 3 vent holes on the back while the xcape ie has none any where) Vents aren't a direct indication of a clearer tuning, but I get your point. The Xcapes signature is similar enough to the RE0s, so I'll just go from my time owning those. They are in no way a bassy phone, so seems like more of a qualm with the tuning than anything.

i even seem to notice that the treble/upper mids on xcape ie sounds like a touch and go, the highest note/sound seems to just appear then disappear but on the panasonic it sound a wee bit more natural as the treble drags on for a split second before disappearing, sort of like a fade out Treble drags - I'll interpret that as shimmer. Couldn't imagine a more sparkly phone than the RE0/XScape combo.

the xcape ie also seems to separate the instruments by quite a bit, to the point you can feel a clear separation between the instrument/guitar and the vocals, feels like singer is infront of me but guitar is 4-5 metres away either on the left or right side but never on both sides. Soundstaging qualm.

it might because of this same separation effect that i seem to hear some minute details never noticed in the panasonic which i thought was never projected by the panasonic but after going back and forth between the two i realise that it is only because the panasonic sounds so harmonious (all the sounds are mixed into the center) that's why the minute details go unnoticed if i wasn't specifically listening for them. Soundstaging qualm.

i must also state that i used the xcape ie for 2 weeks continuously, daily for an average of 6-8 hrs a day and yet at the end of the 2 weeks, on a few occasions, i happen to go back to the panasonic very briefly and ALWAYS on these occasions, within few minutes of listening to music,  i felt like i had "upgraded" to a "higher end" sounding pair of earphones because the total mixture of the all the sound felt so much more natural and pleasing to the ears. i never understand why the cheapo 20 dollar panasonic earphones always seem to be a wonderful retreat compared to the 80 dollar xcape ie which seems inferior and supposedly has a sound quality score of 8+/10 from other pros with lots of reviewing experience in this forum

the separation sounded unnatural i do not know how to appreciate it, as to my knowledge even a concert hall doesn't sound like the different instruments are separated from each other to such an extent and such a different in volume(left and right ear) that the instruments give me a visual impression of a boy squatting in the extreme left or right corners of a room, isolated from the singer in the middle of the room.

other than the separation and it's effects, sound wise both are 90% similar. it feels the 60 dollars difference in pricing almost did nothing in terms of sound quality improvement.

that's the chain of thoughts and experience that told me i should probably save up and invest in something that might give the boost in overall sound quality i wanted.

the most disturbing thing is to find that at any 1 time, going back to the panasonic made my ears feel so much more relieved and lifted from fatigue of unnatural sound after listening to the xcape ie. frankly, i dont even know how to proceed from here, are expensive earphones all sounding like the xcape ie or even more separated? Analytical phones do, seems like you're just describing proper separation. Which is certainly not a bad thing, you probably just don't like the presentation.

So from all that I gathered that you might prefer a more blended signature with more weight/warmth and timbre. Makes sense, the analytical presentation is not to everyone's cup of tea.

in the previous post i listed many criterias, but music genre wise i genuinely listen to all of these listed: pop, edm, trance, classical, orchestra, instrumental, ambient, new age, rock, oldies, soul. that's why i been looking for an earphone that can play all of these well which i also think might be a tough criteria as most people probably are not as all-over-the-place when it comes to music genres and from looking at the dips in decibel vs frequency response curves of earphones, inferring the limits of an earphone at catering to all 3 sections, bass, mid, highs equally well.

Will have to say that the GR07 are still technical beasts, but the added warmth and cohesiveness might be more to your liking. Would skip other popular, "heavy-hitters in value" stuff like the GR01, A161P, R50s, completely as they seem to be antithetical to your preferences. Other warmer "balanced" phones would be again, the PFE112, not to mention the RE262 (252s are more balanced, but harder to find)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back