Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jan 2, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #2,236 of 5,364
Hi, first time posting on this site.

I'm looking to get a decent pair of on-ear headphones to use during my commute and around College, and was looking for some insight. I'm very new to the world of headphones.

My biggest priority is sound quality, with noise cancellation and portability being other big factors.

My price range is from $50-$90, and I listen to mostly Metal, along with some Punk and Indie. Heavy bass isn't a priority for me over clarity and detail.

So far I'm leaning towards the Noontec Zoro, as I've read it has the best sound quality at the price I'm looking for. Only problem is the noise cancellation doesn't seem as good as others, and I'm going to use them during bus rides.

I'm also considering the Sennheiser px200 ii, Beyerdynamic DTX 501p, and AKG k450. Are any of these comparable to the Zoro, or are there any others in this range that would be better?

Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated!

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #2,237 of 5,364
$650 CIEM + amp  or $800 CIEM + Cowon J3 ?  .

I'm contemplating getting a UM Mage. I've read on the forum that an amp is needed to get the best out of a good CIEM so am planning to get an O2 to drive it. 

But this puts the cost up near a higher price tier of CIEMs,  e.g. something like the Lear LCM-5.

So which would likely give the better sound; Mage + 02 or an $800 CIEM + J3?

Cheers,

O.

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #2,238 of 5,364
At the begining of last week I posted asking for advice on some portable headphone (I've quoted it below for reference) I was looking for some more opinions on alternatives to the HD 25s, they are a nice headphone but I am concerned about the portability of them as they dont have rotating cups :/ 

Someone suggested the K618s - anybody got any advice on these?

What about the new akg tiestio k67s? 

Again any help would be greatly appreciated

Sam

Quote:
Hi guys, some of you may remember me from the summer when I was seeking your advice back then, however you probably dont! 

I was looking at the HD 25-1 ii amongst others, but when I went to try them out I also demo'd the AKG K550 and opted for those at the time. I love the sound, the comfort, in fact everything about them! However, my travel paterns have changed and I'm travelling more and more and really could do with a set of more portable headphone and possibly with a bit more noise cancellation as its not something I find the 550s excel at but at the same time its not terrible. Another requirement is noise leak - I would like this to be down to a minimal! 

I mainly listen to electro/dance but also some indie so the headphone need to be a good all rounder but can edge more to wards the dance side. As I said I love the sound of the 550s.

They will pretty much just be ran off an un-amped Ipod Classic 5th gen and possibly off my Ultrabook from time to time.

Once again I've been looking at the HD 25-1 ii but I need another listen really as i cant remember why I wasnt blown away by them. Perhaps at the time I just preferred the full size cans. I'm also looking at the AiAiAi TMA-1 what are people opinions? Are there any other options I should be looking at?

Any help much appreciated! 

Thanks guys

Sam

P.s. I have tried the V Moda crossfades and didnt get on with them due to the odd shape of the pads. Same problem with the B&W p3 and p5 - I prefer the more conventional pad shape

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #2,240 of 5,364
I listen to all kind of music, mainly rock, pop, metal, instrumental, these bands ---> Avantasia, Demons & Wizards, Blind Guardian, Orphaned Land, Katatonia, Samael, Edguy, Therion, Kamelot, Enya, Ryan Farish, Gregorian, Vangelis, Casting Crowns, 30 Seconds To Mars, 3 Doors Down, Linkin Park, Status Quo, Andrea Bocelli, Vivaldi, electronic like Pretty Lights and Daft Punk, some Jpop. Priority is rock, metal, pop. Also I am hearing impaired person so I don't hear highs, at least 9khz+. I will also buy Fiio E6.

Found these:

Vsonic GR02 Bass
Vsonic GR04 Flagship

Which is better? GR02 I can buy for 36$ and GR04 for 53$.

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,241 of 5,364
Which of these IEMs should I go for? I need ones that sound similar to but better than the Brainwavz M1s.

id America Spark
VSonic GR02 Bass Edition
brainwavz m5

and I'm thinking of buying a pair of budget IEMs. Which out of these 2 would be better?

jvc ha-fx35-b
monoprice MEP-933

thanks

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #2,242 of 5,364
Hey guys 

Im in the market for a new iem but im confused in choosing which one
My music is mainly rock like 90% and 10% are other genres like dance , techno , hip hop country etc. 
So far ive owned the klipsch image s3 , the rha ma-350 and the velodyne V-pulse , they sounded good but they were lacking for rock 
generally ive heard that the best sound sig for rock is a fun V shaped one so im looking for one of these 
Clarity is important as is instrument separation , basically i want the perfect fun sound for rock thats not lacking in bass or clarity as well as timbre and good presentation for electric guitars 
My DAP is a 30gb ipod video ( no amps or any type of set up)
if you have any other suggestions please let me know 

My budget is max $100
so far im choosing between :

Fischer Audio Consonance
Klipsch X10
Shure Se215
UE 700 ( ive heard they sound good with metal )

If you can add to the list please do 

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #2,243 of 5,364
I want some IEMS to listen to on the go, but I do not know what it is that I want. This will be my first good IEM. I just came from an M-100 that I thought was overpowered by the bass. I mostly listen to jazz, rock, and orchestral music. I heard the heir audio 4.ais were good, and my limit would be around the $400 dollar mark. Thanks!

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #2,245 of 5,364
Jan 3, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #2,246 of 5,364
Quote:

The TF10 would probably be the closest to the Ultrasones in terms of signature. Although I do like the UE700 suggested above way more than the TripleFi. Still got those relatively unobtrusive mids, but everything is balanced out way nicer. But decidedly less bassy as well. I think you're sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place, the other choices above are all extremely well-performing all-round. I'd lump the GR01 and A161P together in terms of sig, though the VSonics have more treble and detail. The RE262s will be the only one to really need/take up all that power the E17's outputing, rest are fairly efficient. Smooth, delicious sound, great for all that jazz and blues. Not as lean or dynamic sounding as the others for trip-hop and electronic though. GR07s are caught somewhere in between the RE262 and the TWFKs. Build would go to the VSonics hands down. 

Quote:

Just get these and run away from this site. They're probably in the top 5 value for sound I've heard .

I have to thank the both of you for the help again. I ended up getting the GR01. I changed my mind from the GR07 after reading a few more reviews. First of all, I noticed they use the same drivers as the UE700 eke2k6 recommended. That got me more interested in them. Further research convinced me to get these. They had nothing but great reviews, although not nearly as many people had them as the GR07. I'm not so much a bass-head, so I was willing to sacrifice a little low end for a little more detail. 

At first listen I was a little overwhelmed by the treble, it was just too much for me. I also found the bass a little bit lacking. However after finding the right earpiece, shoving the GR01 into my brain with brute force, and a little bit of equalizing on my E17, all i can say is WOW. Listening to some Claire Martin and Helge Lien Trio flacs I have at 96khz is putting a great big icecream grin on my face. The detail is incredible, the separation of instruments is great, vocals have such a warm beautiful sound, and the bass is what it should be - it obviously doesn't have the authority of over-ears, but it still retains the punch and presence it should have. Even listening to Massive Attack was a pleasure on these, when I though it wouldn't sound too good.  I wasn't expecting to be so impressed especially after coming from decent over ear cans, but I am. 

So, yeah. Forgive my incoherent ramblings, my mind has been dreaming and my jaw is somewhere on the floor where I left it shortly after the UPS guy passed by. I'm pretty sure these IEMs are made of witchcraft. Anyway, thanks again guys!

lol, and I think I will need to run away from this site now, eke. Every post I read I seem to find something else I want, I can hear my wallet crying as we speak .

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #2,247 of 5,364
Any recommendations for good earphones around $150? Probably willing to overspend abit. Currently using a klipsch s4, would like an earphone that gives around the same type of sound or to be more specific I'm looking for earphones that give really good clarity and balance. Don't like earphones with loud bass, but at least provide a certain level of bass. Thanks for any input in advance

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #2,248 of 5,364
Any recommendations for good earphones around $150? Probably willing to overspend abit. Currently using a klipsch s4, would like an earphone that gives around the same type of sound or to be more specific I'm looking for earphones that give really good clarity and balance. Don't like earphones with loud bass, but at least provide a certain level of bass. Thanks for any input in advance

Why don't you have a look at the Klipsch X10 on amazon for $89 on Special atm. They're considered a nice step up from the S4. They're very popular here right now, people are raving about them,and for that price you're getting an excellent deal,. this way you'll have money left over to possibly buy an amp or even a Sansa Clip Zip for the X10. I have owned the X10 and can say they're well worth your $89.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #2,249 of 5,364
Quote:

If you're willing to go over $150 - not by alot, my vote goes to the Vsonic GR01. Read into them, I just got them and love 'em. By the description you give on your desired sound, I think these are what you may be looking for. 

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #2,250 of 5,364
You know what.....I saw the Vsonic GR01 around somewhere for about $163, (that is damn cheap) a few days ago. For the life of me I cannot find that sale again. I don't remember which site I saw it on. :mad: Should of book marked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back