Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 7, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #1,186 of 5,364
Quote:
Is there such a thing as an open iem or earbud?

Earbuds are open by nature. A lot of budget IEMs and even some higher end ones have vents in the back. Gives the Dynamic driver some space to breath (or else you get that weird driver flex that can damage the IEMs over time). An example would be the Monoprice 8320.

Quote:
could somebody suggest me some in ears with really nice bass and isolation?

i was intrigued by the JVC HA-FX700 but then i realized they're open back, and isolation is an issue for me

i listen to a lot of EDM so bass is pretty important for me

Any budget? 

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #1,187 of 5,364
I'm now looking for a pair of intraaural headphones to go along with my HD 518's. Since the 518 is a full size circumaural, I'm looking for a pair of portable, closed headphones, which are typical characteristics of an intraaural headphone. I have a brand loyalty for Sennheisers, I seem to have a preference for that Sennheiser sound. But I'm willing to explore different brands as IEM's are a different game altogether.

My budget is about $60-$90. I'm eyeing the Logitech UE500/UE400 (they're the same thing) or the Etymotic mc5, both of which I have not tested. Although according to what I read, the Etymotic would not satisfy my needs as it's not bass heavy enough.

I have tested the Sennheiser CX 300-II and the Fischer Audio Consonance, both of which have impressed me. Although I'm still hoping that the UE500 will blow those away once I've tested them.

I have heard bad things about the build quality of the UE500/UE400, I don't know if it's bad enough to be a deal breaker, but I'm just hoping to hear more reviews and experiences on the IEM. I am also keeping an eye on the UE600.

I'd love to hear more recommendations, and also opinions on the UE500/UE400.

(If Sennheisers are the kings of full sized headphones, who would be the 'Sennheiser' of IEM's?)

EDIT: I play the drums, I listen to a lot of blues, rock, some traditional pop, and I like a heavy bass. I want to be able to hear the basslines clearly. Examples of artists I listen to: AC/DC, B.B.King, John Mayer, Muse, Queen, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Metallica.

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #1,188 of 5,364
Quote:

Earbuds are open by nature. A lot of budget IEMs and even some higher end ones have vents in the back. Gives the Dynamic driver some space to breath (or else you get that weird driver flex that can damage the IEMs over time). An example would be the Monoprice 8320.

Any budget? 

i'd say about $400 would be the max

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #1,189 of 5,364
The stock HD428 cable is probably one of the worst cables I've seen out of headphones yet. Two pairs, and the cable shorted out in the exact same way. Not very isolating as well. Not really recommended for portable use. Sound on the HD428 is a little bass anemic without mods, but the HD438 is pretty full bodied and good for the price.

Okay, thanks. So I guess that settles it, I'll try the Senn HD 228s. They're more portable, better looking (IMO) and less fragile.

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #1,190 of 5,364
So can anyone recommend any popular or good OPEN iem's or earbuds :) I find open headphones to sound airier and have richer texture to the sound so that's what I'm looking for, oh and a medium-big soundstage.

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #1,191 of 5,364
Hello all,

I'm looking for a set of closed headphones. I listen to mostly electronica (large range of it), instrumental, and indie, but I tend to favor the more instrumental-sounding genres. The reason I ask for closed headphones is for the isolation. I don't need to be completely blocked out from my surroundings, just enough to drown out the casual conversations around me. My budget is ~$100-120 and I have a friend who can get discounts at Best Buy (ex: M50s retail for $200, he can get them for $100; and he got his SRH440s for ~$35). So far I've heard of these suggestions:

- ATH-A700 - Haven't looked these up yet.
- ATH-M50 - The controversial choice.
- KRK KNS 6400 - I'm intrigued by this as it seems to be for the more analytical listeners because of its detail. I'm a little skeptical about the comfort of the headband, though.
- Shure SRH440 - Nice sound and fairly balanced.
- Sony MDR V6 - The soundstage seems a bit distant to me when I (briefly) listened to them with some rock music. However, Sony's bass signature doesn't quite jive with me.

Overall, I'm looking for a more fun-oriented listening experience as opposed to detailed/critical.

Let me know if there are others I should add to this list and thank you for your help!

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #1,192 of 5,364
Hey guys,
I looking for IEMs/ClosedHeadphones, around the $50 range. I listen to a lot of drum and bass (Netsky,Blackmill,Pendulum, etc.) On the other spectrum, I listen to rock/pop (FosterThePeople,Phoenix,GlitchMob,MGMT,etc.) Most of the taste is in the electronic spectrum. I was also looking for something with smooth bass, not punchy.
Thanks guys, thanks in advanced!

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #1,193 of 5,364
Quote:
i'd say about $400 would be the max

W3, XBA-4, MTPC/Tributes are pretty close. I particularly liked the XBA-4 for electronic. Haven't heard this one, but it might do you well to look into the UE900 and IE80 as well. 

Quote:
Hey guys,
I looking for IEMs/ClosedHeadphones, around the $50 range. I listen to a lot of drum and bass (Netsky,Blackmill,Pendulum, etc.) On the other spectrum, I listen to rock/pop (FosterThePeople,Phoenix,GlitchMob,MGMT,etc.) Most of the taste is in the electronic spectrum. I was also looking for something with smooth bass, not punchy.
Thanks guys, thanks in advanced!

GR02/MH1. Some of the best bass at that price, and the Sony especially have that really smooth bass you may be looking for. The VSonics are a bit more tactile, from memory. A bit above the budget, but the VB and Eternas have pretty good, smooth, full-bodied bass without being muddy as well.

Quote:
Hello all,

I'm looking for a set of closed headphones. I listen to mostly electronica (large range of it), instrumental, and indie, but I tend to favor the more instrumental-sounding genres. The reason I ask for closed headphones is for the isolation. I don't need to be completely blocked out from my surroundings, just enough to drown out the casual conversations around me. My budget is ~$100-120 and I have a friend who can get discounts at Best Buy (ex: M50s retail for $200, he can get them for $100; and he got his SRH440s for ~$35). So far I've heard of these suggestions:

- ATH-A700 - Haven't looked these up yet.
- ATH-M50 - The controversial choice.
- KRK KNS 6400 - I'm intrigued by this as it seems to be for the more analytical listeners because of its detail. I'm a little skeptical about the comfort of the headband, though.
- Shure SRH440 - Nice sound and fairly balanced.
- Sony MDR V6 - The soundstage seems a bit distant to me when I (briefly) listened to them with some rock music. However, Sony's bass signature doesn't quite jive with me.

Overall, I'm looking for a more fun-oriented listening experience as opposed to detailed/critical.

Let me know if there are others I should add to this list and thank you for your help!

A700- Really, really good for vocals and pretty sounding mids in general. Comfort is a bit unsettling at the top of the head at first, and the fit is often loose for many, but you get used to them. Isolation is average.

M50 - Good for electronica, as the tonality suits it. Instrumental...well, it depends on which types. Very good performance at the $100 mark. Comfort and isolation are average.

6400 - The comfort is really fine, not much to complain about. Some of the mids are etched out, and the treble slopes down along with it. Extension isn't that bad, and as you mentioned, great detail for the price. 

SRH440 - I'd go for the SRH840 to be honest. Less dull of a treble, mids are more detailed, and the extension is better both ways. The signatures are still similar, just improved. 

If you're looking for fun, Uptowns and HP700s are the ticket. I'd personally lean towards the HP700 for electronica (immensely good bass at that price), and the Uptowns for everything else.

Quote:
So can anyone recommend any popular or good OPEN iem's or earbuds
smily_headphones1.gif
I find open headphones to sound airier and have richer texture to the sound so that's what I'm looking for, oh and a medium-big soundstage.

Obviously the JVC Woodies and FADs are the ones to look out for IEMs. Almost all earbuds are open by nature. 

Quote:
I'm now looking for a pair of intraaural headphones to go along with my HD 518's. Since the 518 is a full size circumaural, I'm looking for a pair of portable, closed headphones, which are typical characteristics of an intraaural headphone. I have a brand loyalty for Sennheisers, I seem to have a preference for that Sennheiser sound. But I'm willing to explore different brands as IEM's are a different game altogether.

My budget is about $60-$90. I'm eyeing the Logitech UE500/UE400 (they're the same thing) or the Etymotic mc5, both of which I have not tested. Although according to what I read, the Etymotic would not satisfy my needs as it's not bass heavy enough.

I have tested the Sennheiser CX 300-II and the Fischer Audio Consonance, both of which have impressed me. Although I'm still hoping that the UE500 will blow those away once I've tested them.

I have heard bad things about the build quality of the UE500/UE400, I don't know if it's bad enough to be a deal breaker, but I'm just hoping to hear more reviews and experiences on the IEM. I am also keeping an eye on the UE600.

I'd love to hear more recommendations, and also opinions on the UE500/UE400.

(If Sennheisers are the kings of full sized headphones, who would be the 'Sennheiser' of IEM's?)

EDIT: I play the drums, I listen to a lot of blues, rock, some traditional pop, and I like a heavy bass. I want to be able to hear the basslines clearly. Examples of artists I listen to: AC/DC, B.B.King, John Mayer, Muse, Queen, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Metallica.

Senn IEMs are generally more similar in signature to their lower-end can offerings (PX, HD2*9), even the IE8. The PFE012, FXD80, Eternas, have pretty clean bass at that price. Check out the Discovery Thread for similarily voiced stuff at that price (CKM99): http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-sony-mh1c-are-for-real-pg-283-the-sony-mdr-xb90ex-danny-bs-take-pg-182

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #1,194 of 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A700- Really, really good for vocals and pretty sounding mids in general. Comfort is a bit unsettling at the top of the head at first, and the fit is often loose for many, but you get used to them. Isolation is average.

M50 - Good for electronica, as the tonality suits it. Instrumental...well, it depends on which types. Very good performance at the $100 mark. Comfort and isolation are average.

6400 - The comfort is really fine, not much to complain about. Some of the mids are etched out, and the treble slopes down along with it. Extension isn't that bad, and as you mentioned, great detail for the price. 

SRH440 - I'd go for the SRH840 to be honest. Less dull of a treble, mids are more detailed, and the extension is better both ways. The signatures are still similar, just improved. 

If you're looking for fun, Uptowns and HP700s are the ticket. I'd personally lean towards the HP700 for electronica (immensely good bass at that price), and the Uptowns for everything else.

Thank you for the suggestions! Based on your description, I'm leaning towards the SRH840. But before I commit, would the M50 (or any of the ones mentioned) do well for tracks such as these?
http://youtu.be/ByD5ORT6Mcw
http://youtu.be/CGvIzFRcRMA

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #1,195 of 5,364
Quote:

Thank you for the suggestions! Based on your description, I'm leaning towards the SRH840. But before I commit, would the M50 (or any of the ones mentioned) do well for tracks such as these?
http://youtu.be/ByD5ORT6Mcw
http://youtu.be/CGvIzFRcRMA

Ah, that's what you meant by instrumental. Huge fan of Daisuke, so quite familiar with his work. Some of his works can be a bit metallic on the ATs (one of the few test tracks, along with some acoustic, that I tried when I was auditioning them), but the majority of April.#02 isn't too dependent on midrange, so they do slot in nicely with what the M50s excel at. SRH840s would be a better all-rounder though.

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #1,196 of 5,364
Quote:
Ah, that's what you meant by instrumental. Huge fan of Daisuke, so quite familiar with his work. Some of his works can be a bit metallic on the ATs (one of the few test tracks, along with some acoustic, that I tried when I was auditioning them), but the majority of April.#02 isn't too dependent on midrange, so they do slot in nicely with what the M50s excel at. SRH840s would be a better all-rounder though.

I see...I'll think about this a bit more. Thanks for your help!

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #1,197 of 5,364
Hi head-fi, haven't been on this site for some time after a long hiatus from a short sojourn here. This can be attributed to (previously) growing disinterest in portable audio after having heard what a good speaker setup can do, but I am regretting my decision. My cheap audio-technica ath-fc700 has fallen apart and I am looking for an upgrade. I find it quite hard to articulate the sound sig I like, so I will just mention the headphone/IEMs I have auditioned (mostly for fun and from all budgets) and my impressions of them. Hopefully, that will be better able to convey my preferences and therefore get a better recommendation from you guys! My budget is about S$200, or ~US$160.

Here goes:

Sony MDR-EX600 - Heard them at an consumer electronics exhibition, which meant lots of noise when auditioning, but I found myself liking it. Isolation is obviously mediocre, but it has a splendidly open sound, great separation, soundstage and fantastic mids. A touch of graininess and slight colouration at the treble though, a little bit too lively, but bass texture was fantastic and extension decent. Insanely expensive prices locally though. I would like something along these lines, just with a smoother, less coloured treble with around the same level of separation + staging and the same quality of mids (perhaps a little more liquid but still clear) and bass texture, but with better extension and impact.

HD-800 (amped of course) - Stunningly transparent. Stunningly ruthless too on a pure SS setup too, with harsh treble.

Stax SR-009 (out of the the SS Stax energizer, whose model escapes me and the Reconessence Labs Invicta) - The brilliant neutrality in the bass to the low treble only accentuated the brightness of the headphone, but it was not the peaky sort of brightness. Very hard to describe, but it is something like an pearlescent sheen in the treble, that's not objectionable, but I find it hard to love. Didn't use any bassy tracks so no comment on that, but I'll imagine whatever recommendations I get for my budget will be less detailed overall by far. I would prefer a slightly darker treble and slightly more mid emphasis.

Audio-technica M50 - Crap. To my ears anyway. Recessed, grainy mids, metallic treble, lumpy bass.

Audio-technica FC700 - MOAR BASS. I found it hard to like. It's redeeming factor was that it had the same type of bass but a smidgen less textured than the M50, if that counts a lot in its favour. Where's the treble? Oh, it's right there hanging out with the mids. Not in the coherent, smooth manner that is preferred too.

Shure SRH440 - peaky treble again.

Ultrasone HFI-580 - I can tell you this. The staging of this was so messed up that I was not centerstage, or near any seats (whether front row or otherwise). Instead, the sound felt like it came from 5 metres directly below me. Metallic treble too.

LCD-3 out of RWA Isabellina and Burson ha-160 - Coloured as hell. Too much treble roll off. Too dark. Too much emphasis on the lower-mids. Dig the black background though, which I guess is good compared to everything but the SR-009.

Yeah, I guess I am a soundstage and separation freak that loves his mids on the slightly warm side of neutral and bass texture (perhaps a very slight bump in the midbass?) with an extended, smooth but detailed treble with mild sparkle, and a black, black background. I would prefer IEMs for commuting, because if I am at home, chances are I will be listening to my future speaker setup (only have my integrated amp right now ;_:wink:. All for $200. Of course, I am not expecting the insane resolution of some of the cans I auditioned, but something that punches above its weight in overall resolution would be good. Oh, and it will be driven out of my Nokia N9. Since the Yamaha EPH-100, Rock-it sounds R-50 and most Vsonic (short of the Gr07 mk 2 and GR01, unfortunately) stuff are priced sanely here in Singapore, I was looking at those, but feel free to steer me onto any other recommendations, including on the used market. As far as I can see, both Ortofon IEMs are on sale on the used market for the highest end of my budget used.

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #1,198 of 5,364
Hello,

I am looking for some IEM's to replace my much loved Yamaha EPH-100 that went through the washing machine.

I travel a lot so need something with excellent isolation for flying, I listen to mostly rock, country and even folkish music, but am quite eclectic and do listen to most genres.  I also watch movies and TV on planes and whilst away.  I like strong bass and hate sibilance.  Budget is up to $150.

Whilst the sound of the Yamaha wasn't quite perfect I did grow to love them, the only nice to have would be a microphone and audio controls although this isn't a deal breaker.

I have just ordered some Sony MH1C on a whim to see what the hype is about.  I also have some Vsonic GR02 bass edition which are great for the money but don't have the comfort, isolation or the 'spunk' of the Yamahas.  I am also eyeing off Brainwavz M4 which are on special at the moment.

Any suggestions?  Can the Sony's or M4 compare to the Yamahas? 

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #1,199 of 5,364
Also hoping for some suggestions here - BIG thread and I've poked around a bit, done some searching and gotten lost more than once :)

For sound quality, I've really loved the Shure 500/535s that I've had - although I've sent them in for repair/replacement probably six times and they're a little tired of me by now. I've been waiting a couple of years for the Sleek Audio SA7s to come out, but that's (been) looking like vaporware for quite awhile now. Also thought about the Etymotic Research ER-4PT, but just don't know much about them other than what I've read (and don't know if I can run the cable over my ears)

My requirements:
1) The only place I really get to listen to good music is at the gym (very hectic schedule) and will often run on the treadmill for an hour or more - I prefer an over-ear cable (the 500c was great-535 not so much) - so it's got to be pretty rugged. I guess the Shures just couldn't handle it...
2) For music - usually good rock (Zeppelin, etc) as the gym is no place for classical.
3) Price range - $200-$400

-Fairly rugged/sturdy to stand up to my workout routine
-Over-ear cable
-Great sound
-good isolation

Anything I've missed?
Appreciate any and all help - you're great for helping a stranger out!

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #1,200 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi head-fi, haven't been on this site for some time after a long hiatus from a short sojourn here. This can be attributed to (previously) growing disinterest in portable audio after having heard what a good speaker setup can do, but I am regretting my decision. My cheap audio-technica ath-fc700 has fallen apart and I am looking for an upgrade. I find it quite hard to articulate the sound sig I like, so I will just mention the headphone/IEMs I have auditioned (mostly for fun and from all budgets) and my impressions of them. Hopefully, that will be better able to convey my preferences and therefore get a better recommendation from you guys! My budget is about S$200, or ~US$160.

Here goes:

Sony MDR-EX600 - Heard them at an consumer electronics exhibition, which meant lots of noise when auditioning, but I found myself liking it. Isolation is obviously mediocre, but it has a splendidly open sound, great separation, soundstage and fantastic mids. A touch of graininess and slight colouration at the treble though, a little bit too lively, but bass texture was fantastic and extension decent. Insanely expensive prices locally though. I would like something along these lines, just with a smoother, less coloured treble with around the same level of separation + staging and the same quality of mids (perhaps a little more liquid but still clear) and bass texture, but with better extension and impact.

HD-800 (amped of course) - Stunningly transparent. Stunningly ruthless too on a pure SS setup too, with harsh treble.

Stax SR-009 (out of the the SS Stax energizer, whose model escapes me and the Reconessence Labs Invicta) - The brilliant neutrality in the bass to the low treble only accentuated the brightness of the headphone, but it was not the peaky sort of brightness. Very hard to describe, but it is something like an pearlescent sheen in the treble, that's not objectionable, but I find it hard to love. Didn't use any bassy tracks so no comment on that, but I'll imagine whatever recommendations I get for my budget will be less detailed overall by far. I would prefer a slightly darker treble and slightly more mid emphasis.

Audio-technica M50 - Crap. To my ears anyway. Recessed, grainy mids, metallic treble, lumpy bass.

Audio-technica FC700 - MOAR BASS. I found it hard to like. It's redeeming factor was that it had the same type of bass but a smidgen less textured than the M50, if that counts a lot in its favour. Where's the treble? Oh, it's right there hanging out with the mids. Not in the coherent, smooth manner that is preferred too.

Shure SRH440 - peaky treble again.

Ultrasone HFI-580 - I can tell you this. The staging of this was so messed up that I was not centerstage, or near any seats (whether front row or otherwise). Instead, the sound felt like it came from 5 metres directly below me. Metallic treble too.

LCD-3 out of RWA Isabellina and Burson ha-160 - Coloured as hell. Too much treble roll off. Too dark. Too much emphasis on the lower-mids. Dig the black background though, which I guess is good compared to everything but the SR-009.

Yeah, I guess I am a soundstage and separation freak that loves his mids on the slightly warm side of neutral and bass texture (perhaps a very slight bump in the midbass?) with an extended, smooth but detailed treble with mild sparkle, and a black, black background. I would prefer IEMs for commuting, because if I am at home, chances are I will be listening to my future speaker setup (only have my integrated amp right now ;_:wink:. All for $200. Of course, I am not expecting the insane resolution of some of the cans I auditioned, but something that punches above its weight in overall resolution would be good. Oh, and it will be driven out of my Nokia N9. Since the Yamaha EPH-100, Rock-it sounds R-50 and most Vsonic (short of the Gr07 mk 2 and GR01, unfortunately) stuff are priced sanely here in Singapore, I was looking at those, but feel free to steer me onto any other recommendations, including on the used market. As far as I can see, both Ortofon IEMs are on sale on the used market for the highest end of my budget used.

Thanks!

Completely agree with the HD800/LCD-3 comments. I heard the HFI-780 as well, weirdest stage I've ever experience. People pay money for these things? From your experience with the 009, sounds like you need a dose of SR007 (MKIs).

If you can't get the GR07 (which is what I would have suggested first), try the PFE122 if you can find a good price on it. Balanced, slightly warm, with some of the smoothest treble I've heard. Think W4s, but less warm. Speaking of Westone, the W2 is a decent choice as well, but it's slightly more coloured, albeit musical and pleasant. Not ridiculously coloured by any means. HF5s are slightly warmer than the ER4, and the treble is smooth and sparkle, but it's just that there's a lot of it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back