Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jun 30, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #873 of 5,364
Thank you all guys. Ordered myself Westone 3. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #874 of 5,364
Hi,

I have the Klipsch Image S4i and iPhone 4 that I use as my "ultra portable" I think I picked up the IEMs for $60 over a year ago. Basically, is there anything much better than these for the price? iPhone controls would be a definite plus. I'm not looking for an amp/dac as I am focused on ultra small and decent sound. I love my Beyer T1s and bought the T5p a while back, but ended up selling them because I just don't like lugging them around. Thanks,

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #875 of 5,364
Should I buy the Sennheisser HD 239? They're the best looking headphones (in performance, not looks), imo, at that price range (around 100-120). But I heard that they don't cancel any external noise and that they leak sound. How bad is the leaking? I'd be using them at bus and school 90% of the time, so I need to know at which volume (for me) they start leaking sound, do they leak all the time or just when the volume is way too loud?

Are they "good" for listening to metal (thrash, death, some black and a bit of heavy, in general the most "extreme" genres)?

Or should I get in-ear Bose? there are at least 2 models with a similar price.

Thank you.

Jul 1, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #877 of 5,364
I'm looking for a IEM for ~$180 that has a mic (for use with a smartphone)
I've been hearing good things about HF5 but I also hear the sound is too dry and analytical.
Shure SE315 is good but too expensive with the seperate cable that I have to buy.

Any suggestions?

Jul 1, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #878 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm looking for a IEM for ~$180 that has a mic (for use with a smartphone)
I've been hearing good things about HF5 but I also hear the sound is too dry and analytical.
Shure SE315 is good but too expensive with the seperate cable that I have to buy.
Any suggestions?

I wouldn't call it either of those things. It's a very good sounding phone, and I'd pay double its price for it.

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #880 of 5,364
Hello folks,

I recently bought Fostex T50RP and modded them to my ear's desire thinking I'd use them on-the-go and in school workrooms. However, I also wear glasses when I'm out and about (versus sitting here at my home desk) and didn't think ahead to how glasses mess up the seal and are uncomfortable with full-sized 'phones. I'll be leaving the Fostex at home for listening, meaning I need to get a set I can use on the go. I'm interested in the Yamaha EPH-100SL and the Vsonic GR07 IEMs as they are about equally praised here and within my price range ($150-180 max). It seems like the EPH-100 are regarded as more engaging while the GR07 are colder and more analytical. EPH-100 is better regarded for isolation...so I feel like I'd prefer the EPH-100. I listen to a lot of alternative rock and some of most other genres, so I'd like silky mids and clear, nicely impactful bass. I'm not crazy about highs because they're pretty finicky and easily fatigue. I love my Sennheiser HD598s for the soundstage and engaging sound, and I love my Fostex for the crystal clear mids and bass. How does the GR07 and EPH-100 compare?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #881 of 5,364
Someone stole my ht21's that i accidentaly left in the gym, crap... now i have to buy 2 pairs of headphones since i promised my co workers I'll get him one.

I'm gonna work out with only iem's from now one, i totally forgot the cans there, my fault.. took them off for a second and left it there.

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #882 of 5,364
Hey guys I'm back to be tempted once again :D

I'm looking for another set of IEM which has the smooth sound signature of the Westone 4 but has the bass of something like the Miles Davis Trumpet from Monster. Does such an IEM exist at this price point?

Source - Galaxy S3 w PowerAmp
Music Genre - Jazz, Ballad, Instrumental, Trance

If I do end up going with the Trumpets, is there a non-control talk version?

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #883 of 5,364
I just got it!

It's like I remembered it!!!

Right now, I'm getting used to it, but I'm so happy that I made the decision to buy the Westone 4R.

The only thing that I will probably have to settle afterwards are the tips, from the set that came with it, the one that I prefered the best is the comply foams, I simply could make the triple flange be comfortable although I use triple flanges on the HF5, that's a bit strange and I would to know if anyone knows why.

Also, I tried that other gray set was a bit strange and didn't isolate as much as the comply's I think, neither the clear set, but I will have probably to work it out latter. Any sugestions for tips to use with the westone 4R?

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #884 of 5,364
Hi guys!

I've managed to get myself my Lawton Modded D5000s, and now I've realised that the in-ears I'm using aren't exactly the greatest in the world for isolation, or sound, so I'm thinking to get myself some customs :) I've been thinking between the ACS T1, and the Unique Melody Merlin and Miracles, although I'm open to any other suggestions. The cap'd be around £700 (~$1100) for me, but I'd save up for a month if it meant a better experience. In general, it'd be for soul, R&B and hip-hop, but also EDM and acoustic music, so in general more of a warmer, slightly laid back sound with a wide, but not unnaturally wide soundstage.

Thanks in advance everyone :)

Jul 4, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #885 of 5,364
Quote:
I just got it!

It's like I remembered it!!!

Right now, I'm getting used to it, but I'm so happy that I made the decision to buy the Westone 4R.

The only thing that I will probably have to settle afterwards are the tips, from the set that came with it, the one that I prefered the best is the comply foams, I simply could make the triple flange be comfortable although I use triple flanges on the HF5, that's a bit strange and I would to know if anyone knows why.

Also, I tried that other gray set was a bit strange and didn't isolate as much as the comply's I think, neither the clear set, but I will have probably to work it out latter. Any sugestions for tips to use with the westone 4R?

My favorite Westone tips?

So, you take the stalk of one of those big nasty clear mushroom ones and cut it from the top. Take the stalk that is left and cut it in half. Put each half on the stock of the W4 near the tip. Over the stock put the size of Sony Hybrid that fits (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA) I use the largest, personally. It takes a little work, but its fairly easy to do. The isolation is solid, but what I love the most is how it doesn't obscure the nozzle, allowing for the best bass and treble. And it is by far the most comfortable your W4 will be! (of course, imo) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back