Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jun 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #841 of 5,364
I bought turbine pros because I was sick of earphones breaking on me. Not because they don't break, but because they have lifetime warranty. I've been looking at the TF10'S and they have a removable cable, has anyone had any problems with the actual earpiece breaking? I'm considering selling my turbines and going for the TF10's since the cable is replaceable. I am pretty rough with my earphones, I go running with them and bring them everywhere. Should I just stick with the turbines or could I make the TF10's work? How often does the cable break?

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #842 of 5,364
Honestly, i'm not sure that can be answered. It really depends on how you treat them. If you put them in the case when you're not using them, don't let them dangle around your neck, or misstreat them they should last a reasonable amount of time. you shouldn't need to replace them more than once every couple of years, at least this has been my experience with UE cables.

Provided you don't step on them the actual ear pieces shouldn't break either.

I don't think there's any headphone that can stand up to heavy abuse though, regardless of build quality or durability. some of the things i've seen my friends do to their earphones make me shudder, and yet they're always incredulous that they've died.

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #843 of 5,364
Looking to get some new inears that have controls for the iPhone.

I have and like the sound from the Monster Turbines (standard) - I just HATE the way they look and how bulky the ear pieces are. The sound signature is what i'm looking for though. Any suggestions on new ones? (Not a fan of around-the-ear headphones)

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #844 of 5,364
I am looking for some really cool looking over-ear headphones. I want the bass to be good also. Noise canceling is a plus. My last pair were Beats and they were good, but it's time for something better any suggestions? Don't have a budget I want the best of the best. 

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #845 of 5,364
Jun 25, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #846 of 5,364
Quote:
I am looking for some really cool looking over-ear headphones. I want the bass to be good also. Noise canceling is a plus. My last pair were Beats and they were good, but it's time for something better any suggestions? Don't have a budget I want the best of the best. 

"Cool-looking" often don't go with "good sound" and very rarely with "noise cancelling". The Adidas Sennheiser 25-1-ii is amazing even if a bit over-priced, they isolate well, but don't have noise cancelling. These are on-ears, I know you asked for over-ears, but it's the best suggestion I can think of. The V-Modas M80 are also something to consider, but I never heard those.

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #847 of 5,364
Quote:
I listen to pop music not heavy metal or hard rock.
Ya I would love to clip the headphone cord or shirt
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Hifiman Re-Zero's are a solid choice or the Re-0's, and add on this (http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340656691&sr=8-1&keywords=headphone+mic) and you stay well within your budget.~

Thank you sooo much

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #849 of 5,364
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on a pair of supra- or circum-aural headphones.  There was a fire at my work recently, and as a result some 200+ people are working in temporary locations.  I've gone from a cube with four walls to being surrounded by people w/ no barriers between us.  I've found lots of very insightful reviews on this site, but... well, it's information overload!
biggrin.gif

I'm looking for something portable in the $100-$150 range, although I'm willing to go slightly over.  I'd like something that doesn't require an amp; I would be using the headphones mostly w/ my phone.  I know if there isn't good isolation that outside noises can get in, but I'm more concerned with covering up nearby chatter just enough so that it doesn't distract me.  As for sound-quality, I use a pair of HD598s at home and I am pretty pleased with how they sound.  For reference, I listen to pretty much everything except rap, country, metal, and dubstep.  Also, they need to be super-comfortable for extended use.  I'll be using these babies for 7-8 hours, 5 days a week.  I have rather large ears if that makes a difference, and wear glasses as well.  If my 598s were not so clunky I'd say they are perfect.

As an aside, since I started researching this pair of headphones, I've seen people mention how the sound on some models can be improved by using a 3rd party cable.  Is there a reputable merchant who sells at decent prices?  This is actually really good to know because I discovered a couple weeks ago that my cat has been nibbling on my headphone cable some... 
eek.gif

Thanks in advance!

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #850 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on a pair of supra- or circum-aural headphones.  There was a fire at my work recently, and as a result some 200+ people are working in temporary locations.  I've gone from a cube with four walls to being surrounded by people w/ no barriers between us.  I've found lots of very insightful reviews on this site, but... well, it's information overload!
biggrin.gif

I'm looking for something portable in the $100-$150 range, although I'm willing to go slightly over.  I'd like something that doesn't require an amp; I would be using the headphones mostly w/ my phone.  I know if there isn't good isolation that outside noises can get in, but I'm more concerned with covering up nearby chatter just enough so that it doesn't distract me.  As for sound-quality, I use a pair of HD598s at home and I am pretty pleased with how they sound.  For reference, I listen to pretty much everything except rap, country, metal, and dubstep.  Also, they need to be super-comfortable for extended use.  I'll be using these babies for 7-8 hours, 5 days a week.  I have rather large ears if that makes a difference, and wear glasses as well.  If my 598s were not so clunky I'd say they are perfect.

As an aside, since I started researching this pair of headphones, I've seen people mention how the sound on some models can be improved by using a 3rd party cable.  Is there a reputable merchant who sells at decent prices?  This is actually really good to know because I discovered a couple weeks ago that my cat has been nibbling on my headphone cable some... 
eek.gif

Thanks in advance!

7-8 hours for portable is really tough. The most comfortable closed headphones I've listened to were the AKG-K550 but they are out of your price range. The HD25 and M80 I wouldn't want to wear that long. The ATH-M50 is fairly portable and can be found for $100. 

Could you do iems? You can get some great iems for that price. There was just a deal for GR07 for $130. The RE262 is among the best at that price point. The HF5 has amazing isolation, though they are deep insertion. I really think that for your price, comfort and quality will meet in iems better than over ear headphones. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #851 of 5,364
Quote:

7-8 hours for portable is really tough. The most comfortable closed headphones I've listened to were the AKG-K550 but they are out of your price range. The HD25 and M80 I wouldn't want to wear that long. The ATH-M50 is fairly portable and can be found for $100. 

Could you do iems? You can get some great iems for that price. There was just a deal for GR07 for $130. The RE262 is among the best at that price point. The HF5 has amazing isolation, though they are deep insertion. I really think that for your price, comfort and quality will meet in iems better than over ear headphones. 

Thanks for the input.  After giving it some thought, IEMs are totally okay.  In fact, I was also thinking about getting a pair of them for running.  In that case, what do you recommend with a budget of up to $300?

Edit: After looking at the massive list of 244, I'm grabbed this selection based on overall value & price:

Audio-Technica ATH-CK10
Westone 2
HiFiMan RE272
Etymotic Research ER-4S
HiFiMan RE262
Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII

Part of me says "splurge for the CK10s", part of me says, "RE262 is plenty!"

Edit #2: after some more reading, I may go for the new FXD80s...

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #852 of 5,364
After many months of use, the paint on my Monster Turbines is coming off.  Does anyone know if Monster will repaint it or any other company that is willing to?  How much would it cost?  

Also, there's a notch in the wire (probably from times when I was in a hurry and placed them in their (way too small) case too quickly.  How may I fix that?

These are all just small problems, but hey =)

Also, is it possible to get the Hippo VB  off of Amazon?

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #853 of 5,364
Quote:
After many months of use, the paint on my Monster Turbines is coming off.  Does anyone know if Monster will repaint it or any other company that is willing to?  How much would it cost?  

Also, there's a notch in the wire (probably from times when I was in a hurry and placed them in their (way too small) case too quickly.  How may I fix that?

These are all just small problems, but hey =)

Also, is it possible to get the Hippo VB  off of Amazon?

Amazon doesn't stock VB. You need to go through Jaben Audio.

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #854 of 5,364
imackler

I would like to thank you for the advice you gave me sometime ago on the Westone 4R, I just bought it and it's arriving on my hotel in the next few days, probably shipping today. I ended up buying in germany, in an authorized westone retailer named Variphone, great customer service till now!

Also, for my surprise, They charged me 368 € for the Westone 4R, which is about the same price you mentioned in the US, so, I got it earlier and for the same price!!
Also, 1+1 year international warranty, already checked with Westone :p

Just waiting to get there and see if everything went alright

and, again

Thanks everybody here for the great support, advises and for beeing so kind to us newbies.
This is one of the most impressive places I've found on the internet, and I'm proud to be part of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back