Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 27, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #4,006 of 5,363

nightwalkere

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 26, 2013
Posts
3
Likes
0
Hi, im looking to buy a IEM, cause my previous one (EB900) spoilt, I use them mainly for use during travelling(in bus, trains etc)
 
I listen mainly to pop, kpop, with some rock tracks. Preferably, I want the IEMs to be straight down rather than over the ear, and well not too bass heavy, with decent mids and highs...
 
Budget about $50, any suggestions about what I shd get?
 
Apr 27, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #4,007 of 5,363

khronik

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 21, 2013
Posts
31
Likes
17
hi, i'm quite new to this. i'm just frustrated with using sub par earphones. i live in india and its not exactly a place where you get good anything. i am willing to spend 100~150 USD. i mostly listen to heavy metal and vocals now and then, bass is not a big issue; anything reasonable is fine. i have an android phone it sure would be nice if the iem's are compatible with it.
 
Apr 27, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #4,008 of 5,363

TwinQY

Something about the rear end of a cat
Joined
Nov 26, 2011
Posts
9,017
Likes
2,261
Location
Cat
Quote:
hi, i'm quite new to this. i'm just frustrated with using sub par earphones. i live in india and its not exactly a place where you get good anything. i am willing to spend 100~150 USD. i mostly listen to heavy metal and vocals now and then, bass is not a big issue; anything reasonable is fine. i have an android phone it sure would be nice if the iem's are compatible with it.

While you did take the time to describe sound preferences, perhaps something a bit more detailed as it's still not a lot to go on from? Might be asking a bit too much though, which I do apologize for.
 
Quote:
Hi, im looking to buy a IEM, cause my previous one (EB900) spoilt, I use them mainly for use during travelling(in bus, trains etc)
 
I listen mainly to pop, kpop, with some rock tracks. Preferably, I want the IEMs to be straight down rather than over the ear, and well not too bass heavy, with decent mids and highs...
 
Budget about $50, any suggestions about what I shd get?

Didn't realize the non-over ear thing, so would cross out the E30s (though they do everything sound-wise within the criteria...) and the PFE012s. Otherwise the rest of the suggestions would apply.
 
Apr 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #4,009 of 5,363

Seife

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 26, 2013
Posts
2
Likes
0
Well, I would like to tell you my sound preferences but I really don't have a clue ^^ I would love to just see a list of IN-earphones which cost about 50€ and are recommendet at this time. Thanks
 
Apr 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #4,010 of 5,363

cucera

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 11, 2013
Posts
374
Likes
61
This ones are the highest rated 50€ by Germanies in ear guru Bad Robot who ownes hundred of 10-2500€ inears:

http://www.headsound.de/epages/63028271.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63028271/Products/FAETRNv1
 
Apr 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #4,011 of 5,363

Sauce021

New Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 24, 2013
Posts
22
Likes
0
Quote:
 
$100-225, good isolation, analytical, clarity and cleanliness - Definitely look at the PFE012/122 or the RE272 (not BA but their characteristics definitely makes this a competitor) if you are open to the fact that they won't have any warranty as they've been discontinued/section shut off. Not to mention the GR01, R-50, and the slough of other TWFKs. More random suggestions (if you want some more in depth comparisons, feel free to ask) would be the SE425 and the HF5/ER4P.

You know. The Shure 425s were my first choice, but I cannot afford it. :frowning2: How's the bass on the RE272 and PFE122 vs the GR07 MKII? I've thought about the ER4P also because of the mic. That would be useful, but not important. The HF5/Shure 425 were reccomended to me by "headphone.com". I'm sure (according to Head-Fi) that everything would be a step up from my previous headphones, Bose IEM. They had that initial "wow" factor, but as I listened to my music, I noticed it was lacking in the deep end of the bass. Then I noticed they didn't pair well with my kind of music. Any details on the headphones you reccomend would be great. When suggesting headphone please keep in mind that I love electronic music above all else. Rock/Metal/Score are next in line. Thabks TwinQy!
 
Apr 27, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #4,012 of 5,363

Ghisy

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 6, 2010
Posts
259
Likes
74
Quote:
Both are fairly sparkly but the 99s lean more towards harshness (yes, even more so than the CKN70s). Since you have the CKM99 as a reference point it wouldn't be as bad but just keeping that in mind...
 
The 70s aim for lushness with the lower mids at times so if you want a thinner note presentation the CKS99s are the key. But in terms of detailing and sheer coherency and proficiency the CKN70s take the cake.

 
Hmmm, sounds like a tough choice between the two. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the CKM99 being my reference point. Are you saying the CKM99 are better than both CKS99 & CKN70? Are the CKS99 worse than the CKM99? Thanks for your input.
 
Apr 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #4,014 of 5,363

duke11235

New Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 3, 2010
Posts
29
Likes
0
I'm looking at relatively clean, balanced headphones with strong build quality, comfort and good isolation for around ~50. I think the DUNU Ares or the MEElectronics A151  fits the bill, but I'd love to have your thoughts 
 
Apr 27, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #4,015 of 5,363

TwinQY

Something about the rear end of a cat
Joined
Nov 26, 2011
Posts
9,017
Likes
2,261
Location
Cat
Quote:
Well, I would like to tell you my sound preferences but I really don't have a clue ^^ I would love to just see a list of IN-earphones which cost about 50€ and are recommendet at this time. Thanks

But the problem is we can't just give recommendations out blindly, or simply give arbitrary lists of stuff that's "highly regarded". Recommendations only remain helpful when one can tailor them to the others preferences. I HIGHLY recommend that you re-read the previous post again. 
 
Quote:
You know. The Shure 425s were my first choice, but I cannot afford it. :frowning2: How's the bass on the RE272 and PFE122 vs the GR07 MKII? I've thought about the ER4P also because of the mic. That would be useful, but not important. The HF5/Shure 425 were reccomended to me by "headphone.com". I'm sure (according to Head-Fi) that everything would be a step up from my previous headphones, Bose IEM. They had that initial "wow" factor, but as I listened to my music, I noticed it was lacking in the deep end of the bass. Then I noticed they didn't pair well with my kind of music. Any details on the headphones you reccomend would be great. When suggesting headphone please keep in mind that I love electronic music above all else. Rock/Metal/Score are next in line. Thabks TwinQy!

The ER4Ps have a mic? 
eek.gif
 You sure you're not confusing them with the HF3 instead?
 
RE272s - very soft note presentation but very decent extension and a nicely rounded impact along with oodles of texture.  
PFE122 - also soft, not as rounded or slow-decaying of note (could be a good thing or a bad thing), more focused about the punch than anything else really.
GR07 - Loads of texturing and very dynamic, great technicalities - makes drums pop out in an extremely vivid way.
 
Though it is a bit confusing, in terms of how you want an analytical sig but lean more towards aggressive genres - any way in particular that you might enjoy your genres presented? Because at this point I guess the best compromise would be the GR07s, as they retain balance and an emphasis towards both dynamic "fun" and the other end of the spectrum (although analytical sigs can be quite fun, at least for me)
 
Quote:
Hmmm, sounds like a tough choice between the two. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the CKM99 being my reference point. Are you saying the CKM99 are better than both CKS99 & CKN70? Are the CKS99 worse than the CKM99? Thanks for your input.

Reference point in terms of sound signature is what I had meant, in terms of comparing between the two I tried to make it more relative against the K99s. 
 
Quote:
What's the worthy upgrade for my mh1c? My budget is around $100. I really like the sq of the mh1c, but I need more bass and better isolation.

More bass than the MH1C? The EPH100s have ample more midbass and midrange emphasis from the smoother and more laid-back treble keeping things in perspective. The nozzles are also quite large so if they do happen to fit, you'd get insane amounts of isolation, almost Ety-levels.
 
Apr 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #4,016 of 5,363

TwinQY

Something about the rear end of a cat
Joined
Nov 26, 2011
Posts
9,017
Likes
2,261
Location
Cat
Quote:
I'm looking at relatively clean, balanced headphones with strong build quality, comfort and good isolation for around ~50. I think the DUNU Ares or the MEElectronics A151  fits the bill, but I'd love to have your thoughts 

Umm, more along the lines of the A151s then (though they are quite dark). Still pushing for those E30 on my part though. The Ares' signature isn't really aiming towards cleanliness or balance.
 
Apr 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #4,017 of 5,363

khronik

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 21, 2013
Posts
31
Likes
17
i don't know if this helps, but here it goes; i do a lot of commuting so good isolation and comfortable tips are a must, and as i have said earlier i'm not exactly a bass head. saying that i'd prefer a crisp and balanced sound.
 
p.s:can i have something that i can use while i'm sleeping
 
 
Apr 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #4,018 of 5,363

kimvictor

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 19, 2012
Posts
4,397
Likes
225
Quote:
i don't know if this helps, but here it goes; i do a lot of commuting so good isolation and comfortable tips are a must, and as i have said earlier i'm not exactly a bass head. saying that i'd prefer a crisp and balanced sound.
 
p.s:can i have something that i can use while i'm sleeping
 

price range? Shure, Westone and UE's iems that sits in ear like customs are good for using on a pillow.
 
Apr 27, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #4,019 of 5,363

TwinQY

Something about the rear end of a cat
Joined
Nov 26, 2011
Posts
9,017
Likes
2,261
Location
Cat
Quote:
i don't know if this helps, but here it goes; i do a lot of commuting so good isolation and comfortable tips are a must, and as i have said earlier i'm not exactly a bass head. saying that i'd prefer a crisp and balanced sound.
 
p.s:can i have something that i can use while i'm sleeping

Crisp, balance - if you don't mind the fact that Phonak's earphone section has closed down and therefore you won't get any warranty on these anymore, the PFE012/122s are very miniscule, the shells are flat and lie flat on your ears so pretty much little to no resistive contact if you are sleeping/lying on your side. Also slots into the budget, and the sig is very much balanced, great smooth treble with a nice balance of sparkle, clarity and crispness is extremely pleasant. 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top