Buying new headphones, looking for suggestions
Oct 4, 2019 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Zero Walker

New Head-Fier
Hi!

TLDR: Looking for full size headphones that goes over-ear and have realistic/neutral sound.

----Info----
So i made a topic about this before, but it was more into trying to fix my older one i guess so never got any feedback.

So i have given up on repairing the ones i have as it's falling apart anyhow, and i am looking for a new,
maybe the same, maybe not.

My current headphones are HD280 Pro, and i really like how it sits on your ears,
not pushing against them but rather around them. This is important cause my ears will kill me otherwise.

I also like the isolation, not hearing much outside, i don't care that much of leakage as long as it's not like speakers;P

So i guess that's basic full size headphones?
Now i wear them constantly at home when i am at the PC, and these aren't perfect, at least not in it's current state,
can't recall if i had issues when the earthings at the beginning or not.
Basically it can kinda cut the down of the ear, and i think it hurts on the top as well,
this normally don't occur but i point it out just in case.

So what do i expect from the sound?
As far as i care it should be realistic, neutral.
In other words i don't want it to modify the sound by adding bas or treb etc,
i don't know how that works but hopefully what i want make sense.

I got no clue of the Ohm and such and how it plays a role,
but i got ah Objective2 Amp so i am hopefully set for anything there.

Now do i want Open or Closed?
I think Closed cause of what i stated above, but whatever is the best that fits my needs is of interest.
And as i am not that into headphones i am sure there will be very valid reasons for why i should consider X or Y.

Hope this wall of text wasn't too bad, if any more information is needed please do tell!
--------

Thanks!

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 10
What’s your price range? I suggest looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 150 for a good well priced closed-back that’s quite neutral, it’s not the prettiest headphone but the sound makes up for it and it’s durable and quite modular. It’s quite an upgrade sonically over the HD 280 and I find it more comfortable with more space in the earcups.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 10
Depends on the quality and how long it supposedly lasts.
but i guess 100-300$ (near max if it's really worth it).

Will check them out.

EDIT: How are those square cups?
They look kinda uncomfortable, like they would be quite "outside the ear" and it would feel odd,
like they don't "fit" so to speak.
Maybe that's not the case though.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 10
Depends on the quality and how long it supposedly lasts.
but i guess 100-300$ (near max if it's really worth it).

Will check them out.

EDIT: How are those square cups?
They look kinda uncomfortable, like they would be quite "outside the ear" and it would feel odd,
like they don't "fit" so to speak.
Maybe that's not the case though.

I found they are more comfortable than the HD 280 and many other closed headphones being one of the more comfortable closed-backs I’ve owned, personally found the comfort fine and better than I expected, they aren’t heavy headphones, actually quite lightweight. The ear-cups fit nicely especially after the pads break in some. Comfort does vary person to person but comfort isn’t really a problem in the DT 150 and most Beyers in general. If isolation isn’t vital, I would also consider the open-back Sennheiser HD 6XX from massdrop. For around $200 the DT 150 is my top suggestion for a closed-back and the HD 6XX for open. Both will last a long time and are easily serviceable due to modular designs. Both will easily last upwards to 20 plus years if taken care of, just pads/headband padding may occasionally need to be replaced. Cables are replaceable on both.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #5 of 10
It seems to vary what ppl think between DT 150 and HD 280.

I looked at the HD6XX, but there's a billion of them, what does the open back give me that closed back doesn't?
I think i recall reading it was better for stuff, but don't recall why.

Oct 28, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 10

I looked at the HD6XX, but there's a billion of them, what does the open back give me that closed back doesn't?

I personally found the DT 150 quite a bit better sounding than the HD 280. In terms of comfort that does vary a bit person to person. I suggest getting the headphones from a place with a good return policy in case comfort and/or sound doesn’t work out as what one person likes may not be what another person likes, especially if you’re unable to listen to them in person first.

Open-backs generally sound more natural, most usually offer better sound quality, and tend to have smoother responses with a greater sense of air. The HD 6XX is popular because it has a very linear response and wonderful tonality and has a good reputation for being a high quality sound for not much money.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 10

Open back sounds better than closed back with very few exceptions - IMO

Careful taking advice here: there are a lot of people here that have strong beliefs - pro and con re: various headphones. I've already seen one named that I don't like at all. I'm sure a number of the cans I could recommend would be panned by folks here too.

Is there any headphone shops near you so you can generate your own preferences? then come back and ask about QC, longevity, etc.

Oct 28, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 10
I'm in the same boat. Looking for new headphones. I don't have a strong preference foe open or closed. Around $1000 would be my price range. I'm curious about electrostatic

They need special amps, once you fork out for that you'll be looking at used stats or the low end.

There is a new ribbon can out, and soon a new ATC technology. So perhaps big changes there.

These days most of the action is in planar headphones, still need amps, but less costly/rarefied than stats.

See if you can find a dealer and spend 1/2 a day there with your favorite recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back