Buying new headphones. Help needed.
May 22, 2015 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mercedes-Benz

New Head-Fier
Hi.I'm new to all kind of audio things and I'm thinking about buying my first "high-end" headphones. I'm currently using earbuds that came with my mobile phone and I'm getting a bit bored to the sound quality of them... So, I need some help deciding what headphones should I buy. There are some requirements that I want from headphones: Good sound quality, clear bass, over ear, comfortable, below 200 euros, closed back design, little bit of noise isolation but no active noise cancellation...

I'm thinking about Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. Is it a good headphone? Or is there better alternatives? I have read very much reviews about the ATH-M50x and most of them are positive. Is it worth it? 
Also I've been thinking about Beyerdynamic DT 770. But the impedance is pretty high...

I would be using my headphones mainly listening to all kind of music genres from my phone and laptop. So the portability won't be the number one priority to consider...

Would the sound quality be significantly better if I change from my old earbuds to something like ATH-M50x?

All help is much appreciated and if I did any grammar mistakes, sorry, English is not my first language. 
happy_face1.gif

May 22, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 14
For use with your mobile phone, the M50X would be easier to drive. And yes. Most people would consider it a good bit better than the earbuds that come with a phone.

Here's a review of the M50X: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/legend-continues-audio-technica-ath-m50x

Is it the best headphone for the money? That really depends on what you like in a headphone sound.

May 22, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 14
Yamaha HPH-MT220. It's my new favorite! Got it for $150. A year or two ago, it was sold for $399. Not sure which country you're in, but you may be able to find it for a great price. The only major weakness of this headphone, at this early point, is that the mids are somewhat recessed. Some owners have mentioned that with burn-in, the mids go from recessed to very transparent and upfront. I also put gauze under the ear pads to increase the distance between my ears and the drivers, which improved the sound a bit. Oh, but it's not exactly portable, since it has a non-detachable cable.

May 22, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 14
What genres of music do you listen to mostly?

I would recommend the Soundmagic HP150 as its a great all-arounder. 
The M-Audio Q40 is also quite good and can be found for as little as $70 on Amazon now. I consider these to be better than the M50's. They do need some amping to get the best out of them though.

May 23, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 14
What genres of music do you listen to mostly?

I would recommend the Soundmagic HP150 as its a great all-arounder. 
The M-Audio Q40 is also quite good and can be found for as little as $70 on Amazon now. I consider these to be better than the M50's. They do need some amping to get the best out of them though.
Thanks for helping me. I mostly listen to pop, rock and house music. I will check out your recommendations. But I prefer not to use amplifier for my headphones as I'm listening them from my phone.

May 23, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 14
ue6000 ...great for pop...dancefloor sound...on sale at amazon for sub$100...

mt220 yamaha for an even Live-lier sound....$150

both dun need amps.

May 23, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 14
get yourself a Mad dog and a JDS C5D... all you need.  I think thats about 500 for headphone/DAC+AMP then when you can go up to MDP to AD to AP.

mrpseakers headphone are not prettiest but they sound awesome!

or if you dont want to carry anything but your phone then Thinksound ON1 or B&W P5

May 23, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 14
....I wont go down the dog trail :)

May 23, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #12 of 14
The M50X are a very decent headphone. It it turns out they are not for you, well, then you'll have a reference to describe what you are looking for different in headphone to get help from others here. But a lot of people find them pretty good :)

Be sure to come back and share how they worked out for you.

May 24, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #13 of 14
The M50X are a very decent headphone. It it turns out they are not for you, well, then you'll have a reference to describe what you are looking for different in headphone to get help from others here. But a lot of people find them pretty good :)

Be sure to come back and share how they worked out for you.
As long as they sound better than my current earbuds I will be happy. I will also make a review of them.

May 24, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #14 of 14
good start...there will be more n more reviews from u... keep trekking !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back