buying mini disc
Oct 17, 2002 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
HI: I have a sony mini disc 700 and have been buying sony 80 min. mini disc. Are there better disc to buy or are the sony disc good enough?

Oct 17, 2002 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 42
As long as your MDs don't fail, there's little difference between the brands. The only ones I've ever had problems with are Memorex, and IMO it's because they have a cheap plastic shutter. The shutter can jam much more easily than the metal ones.

My opinion is not to waste your money on expensive blank MDs
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
HI: I have a sony mini disc 700 and have been buying sony 80 min. mini disc. Are there better disc to buy or are the sony disc good enough?

Actually, Sony offers at least two different so-called "grades" of 80-minute blank MDs. The cheaper grade is the "color" line (which unfortunately has the cheap plastic shutters). If you want metal shutters on a Sony MD, you'll have to pay a bit extra for the "gold" line.

Oct 17, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 42
i've never had a problem with the plastic shutters, but have with the metal ones. i have a maxell md and somehow the metal shutter got caught on something and is loose and bends out slightly. it makes it harder to insert into the md unit. just my 2¢.

Oct 18, 2002 at 6:50 AM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Actually, Sony offers at least two different so-called "grades" of 80-minute blank MDs. The cheaper grade is the "color" line (which unfortunately has the cheap plastic shutters). If you want metal shutters on a Sony MD, you'll have to pay a bit extra for the "gold" line.

I've never, ever seen plastic shutters on Sony MDs.
Every single colour collection MD I have seen and own from Sony has a metal shutter.

LTUCCI1924, Sony, TDK, Axia and EMTEC blanks and the ones to buy. Never had any issues with these. To be safe, stay away from Maxell, Hi-Space, Memorex and anything else with plastic shutters. I will admit though, that many people have had no trouble with POS plastic shutter MDs.
biggrin.gif

If you can find some BASF/EMTEC blanks, snap them up. They are $3 here apiece ($1.50US) and are built extremely well, and have metal shutters.

Oct 18, 2002 at 7:07 AM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Mystyler
To be safe, stay away from Maxell, Hi-Space, Memorex and anything else with plastic shutters.

Most Maxell MDs have metal shutters, and I've never seen a Hi-Space MD with plastic. I *highly* recommend Hi-Space blanks if you can find them (they stopped distributing them in the U.S.). They're among the most reliable I've ever used. I have over 100, some four or five years old, and I've never had a single shutter problem or data error.

Oct 18, 2002 at 7:08 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
the best MD's i've ever dealt with are the blanks from fuji...

They also make great cdr's

biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Mystyler
I've never, ever seen plastic shutters on Sony MDs.
Every single colour collection MD I have seen and own from Sony has a metal shutter.

I'm saying that those (recent) colour collection MDs from Sony distributed in the U.S. have plastic shutters.

Oct 18, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Most Maxell MDs have metal shutters, and I've never seen a Hi-Space MD with plastic. I *highly* recommend Hi-Space blanks if you can find them (they stopped distributing them in the U.S.). They're among the most reliable I've ever used. I have over 100, some four or five years old, and I've never had a single shutter problem or data error.

Have to agree with MacDef here. I've used MDs for about 2 years now. Not ONE problem with Hi-Space blanks. Cheap, effective. My minidisco blanks are hi-space, might want to check that out.

Oct 19, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #14 of 42
**looks at his maxell twinkle disc**
plastic shutter, but very good disc
smily_headphones1.gif

I recommend TDK, Sony, and Axia discs, but Maxell aren't too bad (the only problem I've had with a disc was a sony that I stood on. The plastic shutter'ed maxell just sprung back whereas the sony stayed bent)

Jan 10, 2003 at 12:52 AM Post #15 of 42
Today I bought a package of eight 80-minute color collection Sony MDs. I had thought that they had plastic shutters, based on a sample that someone else had brought to Best Buy for assistance on a player. Inspecting the color collection discs revealed that their shutters are black-anodized metal (and not plastic). My bad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back