buying mini disc
Jan 10, 2003 at 5:57 AM Post #16 of 42
I bought a 10pack of 74minute biancas for $15 today. Feels more sturdier than the stock single that came with my player. The little import shop also had some sony Neige and ES blanks for $18/$20 per 10 pack. Are these any good?

Jan 10, 2003 at 6:05 AM Post #17 of 42
Sometimes you can find a Maxell 4 pack of 74 min discs that comes with a very handy hard case for 6 discs about the same size as a small paperback (5.5"x3.5"x.75"). It's the best carrier I've found.

Jan 10, 2003 at 9:11 AM Post #18 of 42
Yes I agree, the 6 disk Maxell case is brilliant, great for transporting uncased disks. The disks look cheap though. I can't seem to find these cases any more, I only picked up two before I realised how good they were.

Jan 10, 2003 at 9:22 AM Post #19 of 42
I use the Sony ES discs exclusively for years they are well build and reliable.they cost only 1,70$ a piece in Greece.I have some Maxell with plastic shutters and they feel cheap.not recommended

Jan 10, 2003 at 4:36 PM Post #20 of 42
Whatever happened to the 80 minute Sony ES discs????

I never had a problem finding them in Europe, but they are nonexistent in the US. All of the mailorder firms here only stock the 74 minute ES. They used to have the 80 minute discs, but haven't seen them in ages.

So does anyone know of a US source for these?

And are they still selling the 80 minute discs in Europe?

Seems like HHB MDs are getting harder to find here also.

Jan 10, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #21 of 42
i get the feeling all minidiscs are made in the same factory in singapore. when it comes time to put the case on, they go down different conveyer belts labeled "ugly", "pretty", "prettier", "sparkly", and "sony es".

Jan 10, 2003 at 8:40 PM Post #22 of 42
<And are they still selling the 80 minute discs in Europe?>Yes I have a lot of 80 min ES (more than 100)they cost 1,85 Euro in Greece.Actually I find ES different than any other disc I ve tried (Maxell,Fuji,TDK,Tranxdata..)They are sturdier and more solid
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #24 of 42
personally i love the TDK MD-SG series. they look great, and they never failed on me. i've also used TDK's "Music Jack" series for color coding, and Sony's "Neige" series cos they look so ethereal!
biggrin.gif

i usually stay away from Memorex (plastic shutters always allow dust to get inside) and Hi-Space (always gave me TOC errors).

Feb 4, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #25 of 42
Two of the first four blank Memorex MD's I unwrapped had sticking metal shutters. One wouldn't even go into the player without forcing. Both had their shutters open when ejected, exposing the disc. I thought I was doing a good thing by buying Taiwanese quality and whacking it to the overpriced Japanese makers, but they will get the last laugh as I take back this Memorex junk and exchange it.

On the subject of disc overpricing, has anyone else noticed that 80 minute MD blanks cost 30% more than 74 minute ones, despite having only 8% more capacity? Many CD's run >75 minutes though so I suppose there is a convenience factor to consider. Quote:

redshifter: i get the feeling all minidiscs are made in the same factory in singapore. when it comes time to put the case on, they go down different conveyer belts labeled "ugly", "pretty", "prettier", "sparkly", and "sony es".

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
That is funny! (but not true).

Feb 4, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #26 of 42
Oooh,

What about these MD2000 MD blanks from Sony... anyone tried them? they're shown as being better than the ES discs
eek.gif

Feb 5, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #27 of 42
Has anyone noticed any difference in sound quality? I have a small collection of discs, some Sony Color Collection, with metal shutters and some Maxell with plastic shutters. I don't know if it's just chance based on source material but the Sony's sound much better. Neither brand has ever failed.

Feb 5, 2003 at 4:03 AM Post #28 of 42
I think the only difference would be in error correction.. Maybe a sony disc sounds better that way. I've never noticed, at any rate..

MD2000 are expensive, magnesium discs. Shmancy alright. Don't know if they would sound better, but they'd better damn well be built better if they cost me about NZ$50 each!

Feb 5, 2003 at 10:34 AM Post #29 of 42
Lou,
I've used MD for over 5 years and to be honest all of my experience with them are quite well. I would say Fuji has the best built, and memorex is the least reliable. Still, memorex is quite good with the reliable reate of 1 out of 50 discs. They all sound about the same to me.

PUrk

Feb 5, 2003 at 4:46 PM Post #30 of 42
This Head-Fi thing is getting out of control, isn't it?

Do I have to log on and do a search like "Memorex MD crap" before I can even buy a bunch of blank MD's??? Sheesh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back