Buying Koss KSC75
Nov 10, 2010 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Spigon

New Head-Fier
First off I am new and would like to sincerely apologize for posting this in the wrong section of the forums. I am well aware that I should be posting in the, "For Sale and Trade" section, but am unable to do so for some odd reason. Now that the formalities are out of the way I would like to buy a Koss KSC75 with the following done to it:

1. Kramer Mod
2. Recable Mod
3. Headband Mod
4. 75 Ohm resistor Mod

I am currently on a tight budget so I may or may not be able to afford everything I listed above; this is a sad fact I've come to recognize. So to help I would like estimated price range of with headphones with and without the: Recabling and Headband. Meaning 4 price estimates should be listed. One with everything. One with only 1 and 4. One with 1, 2, and 4. And lastly one with everything except 2. Furthermore to help with a more accurate price range I live in the U.S.A. particularly in the mid EST time zone (sorry for not being more specific). Lastly shipping and handling should be included in the price. For those who would like to know I can only spend $20 and may potentially increase it to $40. The extremes in budget is due to me also wanting to by a Zalman clip; overall with or without the clip my budget is $40. Thank you for reading this and for any response that may follow, which may or may not entirely help with my endeavors, but is very much appreciated.

P.S. If it help at all with the modding I am particularly using this set for gaming footsteps and rock/pop music on my Ipod. Thank again for everything! Furthermore I am very patient so I can wait countless months if it means the best build for the price. And maybe quarter mod but I am new so I do not know if that conflicts with kramer mod.

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 32
I am also thinking of buying a cmoy amp instead of the clip on mic. Seeing as it might be needed since I want a 75 Ohm resistor mod no matter what. And this might cause a problem with using the headphones on my ipod.

So I am wondering do I need an amp for my ipod or not? If so does anyone know any good cmoy under $20. And more importantly can anyone made me the specified headphones above with cmoy all under $40 with or without shipping included.

Nov 11, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 32
You don't need an amp for them.

Buy them stock and enjoy. Then do all the mods you want etc. For 20 bucks to my door, these are hands down the best things out there for the money.

PS: You can't post in the sale/trade forums as you don't have enough posts.

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 32
Is anyone one going to actually sell me these headphones lol. And I was wondering how does an fiio e5+lod compare to an e1. I heard the the e1 is overall better then the e5 but only for the ipod. So basically is the e5+lod= to e1 if not is it better or worse and by how much. Also if the e1 is better does it justify that is only usable on an ipod. Seeings as I am planning on using this set up for gaming and music, this basically means does the e5 make much of a difference on laptops and desktops for a 75 ohm mod ksc75? Because if it doesn't this limits the amp use to ipod only making the e1 the clear winner right?

Nov 12, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #8 of 32
Just go and buy new ones. They're dirt cheap. The Kramer mod did give my KSC's a significant boost in especially the highs. [yoda]More crispy sounds it gives this mod [/yoda]

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #11 of 32

Quote:
Just go and buy new ones. They're dirt cheap. The Kramer mod did give my KSC's a significant boost in especially the highs. [yoda]More crispy sounds it gives this mod [/yoda]

I've never understood why anyone would want this....and I own and love Grado SR60i's!

Wearing my KSC75's as clip-ons, the last thing they need is more highs, either from Kramer modding, or pad mods. I use a 3db bass boost with mine, and that balances them out better for me.

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #12 of 32
The KSC75 sounds amazing as is.

OH, DO NOT GET THE ZALMAN. Just...don't. It's horrible.

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:
Xan7hos said:

Search is your friend!

1) Quarter Mod to the Pad = lets out more highs and mids, less muddled sound
2) Kramer Mod = UNLEASHES the treble, makes these things shine
3) Recable Mod (mini Star-Quad/ebay SPC seems to be the winners) = tightens up the sound, increase in overall clarity especially if you have a Koss cable with an in-line volume controller
4) 75 Ohm resistor mod (soldered in parallel) - tightens the bass so its less muddled/flabby

Think that about covers it. Overall, cheap upgrades that transform this into an amazing bang for the buck portable. (Quarter mod/Kramer mod free, recable ~10 bucks maybe (check navships SPC teflon on ebay), 75 ohm resistors can get it for cents @ Radio Shack or a few bucks for Allen Bradley types on ebay). Super easy to do, and if you mess up, you got Koss's No Questions Asked Warranty to cover you.

As long as you have a knife and soldering iron, your good. Very good to practice your DIY skills.

Mootookang I don't think that it will be anywhere near $60-70. 12-15 for phones themselves+10 for recable+3 max for resistors= $28 max lol.

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #14 of 32
It depends on the parts you use, and you also need to take into account the labor + shipping.

If you're going through the trouble of getting a fully modded ksc75, why would you settle for mediocre parts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back