Buying in Japan--are any of these good deals?
Sep 6, 2010 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Dekimasu

New Head-Fier
Hello. This is my first post on these forums, so I apologize if I make any mistakes in etiquette. I tried to find a similar thread, but wasn't successful, so here goes.

I'm looking to buy my first real set of IEMs, with a special eye to what will do the best job of isolating sound on the train every day. I did some research, put together a list, and found a brick-and-mortar store in my area (Osaka, Japan) that sells most of the models discussed here. What I'm wondering is whether there are any models that are particularly good or bad deals compared to prices where you are.

Here's the list of models I'm considering and the real prices in dollars at the local store (inc. tax); I'd intended my budget to be $150.

Klipsch Image S4, $75
Etymotic ER-6i, $112.50
Etymotic HF5, $125
Klipsch Image X5, $150
Westone UM1, $150
Audio Technica CK10, $167.50
Shure SE210, $167.50
Shure SE420, $167.50
Ortofon e-Q7, $200
Etymotic ER-4P, $210

I'm going to be using these almost exclusively on trains, since I'm on them (and packed like a sardine) about two hours a day. My #1 and #2 concerns are shutting out the train noise and shutting out the train noise. Most of my mp3s have stayed at 128kbps so they would fit in my original touch wheel iPod from eight years ago, so I won't get a wonderful sound experience off the bat. I can reburn the albums I listen to frequently at a higher bit-rate and solve much of the quality issue... if it's worth the time, based on the sound quality in any of these phones. I understand that most people are looking at sound quality first rather than noise isolation when making recommendations.

If it's at all useful, some people and bands I listen to a lot are Pavement, Wilco, My Bloody Valentine, Velvet Underground, Andrew Bird, Spoon, T. Rex.... I have always listened primarily to rock, but recently I find myself more and more attracted to jazz as well.

Any pointers for me? Hoping to get more and more hooked here.

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 10
You really need to get rid of the 128kbs mp3s if you wanna step into anything above low-fi iems.

Best isolation out of the list is Etymotic Er-4p hands down, the price seems very good there.

Next is Shure SE420, isolation is also very good, but not as good as the er-4ps. $167.50 is a steal for these IMO.

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the comments.

Do you think that the ones at the top of my list (esp. the S4 and HF5) would already be of the quality that they would suffer from the 128kbps tracks?

I knew the bit rate would become an issue, but I was hoping I could reburn over time as I found it necessary. There are some things I listen to quite frequently, and I'd be happy to reburn those right away. And there are lots of others that I rarely listen to, but if they'd be unserviceable I suppose there's no reason I can't leave them off my mp3 player and just listen to them at home.

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #4 of 10
Where is this store in Osaka Japan? is there a website to visit?

Your question:
I think you should get the Ortofon e-Q7. This priced over $300 USD outside Japan. Isolation is great, I use them in the train/plain.

How is the price $200 for e-Q7? is that a used pair?
I know the lowest price for new e-Q7 in Japan cost around $280 USD according to today's exchange rate between US and JPY

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #5 of 10
If you can read Japanese then to help in your search there are sites like kakaku.com which is an ok place to start.

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
If you can read Japanese then to help in your search there are sites like kakaku.com which is an ok place to start.

You mean this site?
http://kakaku.com/item/K0000100897/

One  does  not need  to read japanese to understand the numbers
Kakaku price is 22,800 JPY,  ($270USD)

Where did you find $200 USD for e-Q7?
That is a super deal, go for it!

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Where is this store in Osaka Japan? is there a website to visit?

Your question:
I think you should get the Ortofon e-Q7. This priced over $300 USD outside Japan. Isolation is great, I use them in the train/plain.

How is the price $200 for e-Q7? is that a used pair?
I know the lowest price for new e-Q7 in Japan cost around $280 USD according to today's exchange rate between US and JPY

It's in Denden Town (Nihonbashi). I'm not sure if there is a website.

They were all new, but I may have gotten the prices wrong on the e-Q7 and CK10. I hadn't been considering them originally, but wrote them down in my notes at the very end of my trip. That may have made me invert the exchange rates accidentally. If I did that then the e-Q7 would come out to $280, like you said. I will have to check again.

Edit: The prices I wrote down were for new models, but they had used models as well.

Quote:

I've looked at kakaku.com a bit for prices, but they compare apples to oranges a lot. All of the earphones are ranked together based on user ratings and sales, so if someone liked their candy Zumreeds that counts as much as one of you guys here ranking a Sennheiser.

Sep 6, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #8 of 10
I live in Osaka as well.  I got my last pair of Audio Technicas from Joshin, but kakaku is pretty good at finding the best deals available if you know what you're looking for.  Since I live in Kadoma-Shi, getting to Nihonbashi is a little bit of a trek for me but it's worth the effort every time.  Hearing about that deal on the e-Q7s makes me wonder what else could be found on the cheap there...  I NEED TO GO NOW!!!

Sep 6, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:

They were all new, but I may have gotten the prices wrong on the e-Q7 and CK10. I hadn't been considering them originally, but wrote them down in my notes at the very end of my trip. That may have made me invert the exchange rates accidentally. If I did that then the e-Q7 would come out to $280, like you said. I will have to check again.

Edit: The prices I wrote down were for new models, but they had used models as well.

I've looked at kakaku.com a bit for prices, but they compare apples to oranges a lot. All of the earphones are ranked together based on user ratings and sales, so if someone liked their candy Zumreeds that counts as much as one of you guys here ranking a Sennheiser.

Oh well, I see what you mean, that could be a possibility since when I visited Tokyo some time ago, I noticed things there are often priced same or even higher then the same product elsewhere in USA for instance.
BTW,  if you thinking considering  e-Q7,  you can get them probably for less then the shop in Nijonbashi, at one Japanese wholesaler where I got my radius DDM. Many head-fi members ordered their IEMs there. Check the site and contact for rates, (the site is not  end-user friendly so one must contact for quotes.) www.musicaAcoustics.com
P.S. Have you actually auditioned all those phones in your list?

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Was it here? イヤホン・ヘッドホン専門店【e☆イヤホン】
If so, some of the prices may have been cheaper in-store, or you may have been looking at pre-owned.  The SE420 and CK10 prices seem to be the same as you mentioned though.

As yellow131 says, you should try auditioning the phones you're interested in.

Quote:

I agree, but like Amazon and other user review sites, you really have to read the individual reviews to get a feel for the user's experience (or lack thereof) and ability to articulate what he/she is hearing.  There are some terrible reviews on Kakaku, but there are some pretty good ones too.  However, the rankings and rating-only reviews are worthless in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back