Buying first set of headphones
Aug 24, 2011 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NoAudio

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

BRIEF INTRO:

====================================================

I am looking to buy my first set of headphones. 
I love music. I like listening to piano pieces, instrumentals, celine dion, songs like "you raise me up", that kind of stuff. (I'm not sure what that genre is called).

Recently 3 of my friends purchased new headphones. One of them bought a headphone called "ear pollution" or something, the second bought skull candy, and the third bought bose. I tried the ear pollution headphones, and they were pretty awesome compared to my 5$ earphones. That's when I decided, I must buy my own pair.

My budget is a blurry line around 100$. I'm not an audiophile, so I really don't want to overspend just on a pair of headphones.

I like listening to classical, instrumentals, and some artists like celine dion, jason mraz, and beatles. So I would prefer headphones that are geared up towards those types of music.

I will probably listen to the headphones while walking once in a while, but will mostly be using it at home, in the library, or maybe during class :p.

I have no idea what type of headphone I should get. But I listened to a noise cancelling bose headphone, and an on-top-of-the-ear beats pro headphone in bestbuy, and TBH I thought the bose sounded better. But I have no idea which type of headphone suits my needs, so you tell me.   

Please recommend a good headphone to me.

Thanks for reading, hope you can help this lost soul =D

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 12
I got good news for you 
atsmile.gif
 For $100, you should be able to get a pair of cans that will wipe the floor with your friend's headphones. At least for classical music anyways. If you looked them up, Bose and Skullcandy is not exactly loved on this forum. Although Skullcandy is hated a lot less since they've recently revealed plans of better quality headphones and their stuff is not over priced. Ear pollution is not really known around here but they are pretty much in the same market as skullcandy. I'm not a classical music listener but I'm sure some one is going to recommend something amazing for you.

Good luck 
atsmile.gif

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Hey guys,

BRIEF INTRO:

I am looking to buy my first set of headphones. 
I love music. I like listening to piano pieces, instrumentals, celine dion, songs like "you raise me up", that kind of stuff. (I'm not sure what that genre is called).

Recently 3 of my friends purchased new headphones. One of them bought a headphone called "ear pollution" or something, the second bought skull candy, and the third bought bose. I tried the ear pollution headphones, and they were pretty awesome compared to my 5$ earphones. That's when I decided, I must buy my own pair.

My budget is a blurry line around 100$. I'm not an audiophile, so I really don't want to overspend just on a pair of headphones.

I like listening to classical, instrumentals, and some artists like celine dion, jason mraz, and beatles. So I would prefer headphones that are geared up towards those types of music.

I will probably listen to the headphones while walking once in a while, but will mostly be using it at home, in the library, or maybe during class :p.

I have no idea what type of headphone I should get. But I listened to a noise cancelling bose headphone, and an on-top-of-the-ear beats pro headphone in bestbuy, and TBH I thought the bose sounded better. But I have no idea which type of headphone suits my needs, so you tell me.   

Please recommend a good headphone to me.

Thanks for reading, hope you can help this lost soul =D

Hi there,

I enjoyed Celine Dion the most on my Sony SA-5000 headphones, they're kinda expensive, but it rocked! You could get the younger sibling, the Sony SA-3000.

HOWEVER, you write "library", which is a worry, since they're open air headphones everyone will hear you, so perhaps you should try the new Sony ZX700 instead, that's a good headphone, if you must listen in libraries, or you could go even further and get an IEM (earphone), since your budget is a "blurry line" I'd suggest making an investment, and get something really good, Vsonic GR07 and Sony EX600 are great contenders there.

I'm not a Sony rep or anything, it's true that Celine Dion sounded best on my SA-5000's, I loved it, and it's true that the EX600 is the best IEM there is under $150, it's hard to contradict that statement around here, you won't be disappointed.

Etymotic, Shure and Yuin also make good stuff, if you're a researching kind of person.

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #5 of 12
I would recommend the SRH440 like Mal, but seeing that you probably want to impress your friends just a little, maybe the SRH240. It definitely looks better (and more comfy too 
beyersmile.png
)

However, the best choice for your preferences is the Sennheiser HD555. I believe Amazon stocks them at almost $100, just shy of a few dollars.

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for your replies. I've searched up every single headphone you guys recommended.

TBH I don't like the designs of some of them, like the sony SA 5000. The two headphones that did look pretty cool are the Shure SRH440 and SRH240, the latter being the best looking one. Another headphone I'm considering is Seinheiser HD555 because people say its extremely comfortable.

SRH240 is also half the price of SRH440, so I'm just wondering what are the main differences between these two headphones? I mean, I'm not an audiophile, probably can't even be classified as a music enthusiast. So why not save cash, have better looks, and more portability (from what I've read)?

Of course, again, I'm not sure of the difference between them, and whether I'll even be able to notice the difference. If there is a huge performance gap, then I would still want the SRH440's.

And how does HD555 measure up to SRH440?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 12
I can't say what the quality on the 240s is like, but as someone who just bought their first set of phones after using this site and ending up with SRH440s I can attest they are awesome cans for the price.

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 12
Hey guys

After briefly doing some research, I decided to pounce on the Audio Technica ATH-M50, because it looks cool and durable, and its portable. Everything I wanted. Plus I found a 60 dollar off coupon =D. 

I watched some reviews of the SRH440, and I thought that the earcups were too bulky and I felt sketchy about the exposed wiring on the sides. And I read many reviews that they are very uncomfortable.

I ordered the M50 for around $120 including shipping. Also bought a new laptop for college! Whoot! Envy me =D

Anyway thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it. I will be sticking around.

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #11 of 12
Listening to "Easy Going/Listening" Genre = Balance/Vocal up.

Check out the ATH X00 series and maybe the Shure series. If you can save up, then get the M50s,HD-25-II or maybe the T50p? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back