Buying Advice
Sep 14, 2012 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Xplorer4x4

New Head-Fier
I am new here but I glanced around and see you guys are die-hard audiophiles. I am not sure my personal audio tastes run quite this deep over all, but you guys are definitely the audience I would like to hear feedback from.

For years I have used cheap ear buds for my headphone needs. Currently I have a set of JVCs from Walmart for about $10-$12 bucks. For the price, they are surprisingly descent, but I know they can't compare to the real deal.

My budget is not exceptionally high compared to some price tags I have seen around here so I can understand if the response isn't the best to my thread. I am looking to spend about $75 to $100 as I would like to put that $25 towards some ear buds as I figure I might be able to rake in an additional $25-50 for the bday to throw in the ear bud fund. The ear buds would be for outdoor use when I take the pup on a walk, but I see there is an earbud forum here for that so I just want to focus on a set of full size cans for this thread.

I will steadily be using them indoors hooked up to my computer. For now I will just be using the motherboard supplied audio outs, but might invest in a sound card for x-mas. I tried a set od Bose cans at Target the other night and the mids and highs were nice but the lows were extremely disappointing to say the least. Then I tried a set of Beats Studios. They sounded quite good, but then I tried a set of Sony MDR-ZX600 and MDR-v55. The Sonys were 1/4th the price and every bit as good as the Beats if not a bit better. However, I suspect there may be better options for the buck. I want something that excels with lows, mids and highs. I suppose I could sacrifice mids but I really like them to hit on each level with out sacrificing anything. Any advice?

This went longer then I meant, so..
[bold]Short version[/bold]: Need a good set of full size cans with good highs, mids and also lows. I have to be able to feel the bass, but not loose out on my highs especially. Budget is $75-100.

Sent from my DROID2 Global

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 10
My advice to you was going to be something like "audition, audition, audition", but you're doing that already which is great - all I can add to that is KEEP IT UP - that's really the best way to shop for headphones. 
You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it, and the same is true for headphones - they are going to spend A LOT of time on your head and ears, so it wouldn't be strange to spend 20 minutes to an hour in the shop just trying out a few that you like with different songs until you can eliminate them one by one or at least narrow down your choices. 

If you find a few that you really like, post them up here, that gives us an idea of what you like and don't like and we'll tell you what else you can still try out. The biggest problem almost all of us face is that most shops don't stock anywhere near half the brands we would ever like to try out... for example I've never even seen an Ultrasone headphone in real life because of my location, and none of the walk-in shops in Frankfurt even stock Audio Technica or Grado. 

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 10
I suggest IEM. They are more comfortable than buds and on-ears.
In your budget best option by very far margin is audio technica ckm500, which has great build quality, but best part it is their sound quality and signature. CKM is very balanced with sq rivalling $400 iems.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 10
Sep 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 10
My advice to you was going to be something like "audition, audition, audition", but you're doing that already which is great - all I can add to that is KEEP IT UP - that's really the best way to shop for headphones. 

The biggest problem almost all of us face is that most shops don't stock anywhere near half the brands we would ever like to try out... for example I've never even seen an Ultrasone headphone in real life because of my location, and none of the walk-in shops in Frankfurt even stock Audio Technica or Grado. 

Thanks for your response but like you said, the in store selection lacks. So much so I am at a dead end on that route. Target was the one stop shop. None of the Walmart's around even have headphones hooked up for testing and Target had a set of Bose, Beats and Sony. Well technically 2 of each but both Bose were the same, and the only difference between the two Beats Models and two Sony models were on ear vs over the ear I believe. So that was the reason I came here. If I go by my testing, I will go with one of the Sony ones mentioned in my OP. I could live with them and it doesn't hurt I would save money, I just wanted to get the best sound for my money.

I suggest IEM. They are more comfortable than buds and on-ears.
In your budget best option by very far margin is audio technica ckm500, which has great build quality, but best part it is their sound quality and signature. CKM is very balanced with sq rivalling $400 iems.

Need a good set of full size cans ........

I suggest IEM. 

Hmm...

Well I do need a set of ear buds but I was saving that for the headphone forum but since it came up..IEMs sound interesting but I admit I have never heard of them before. I mean I knew news broadcasters typically use them, just never knew the actual term for it. $400 is way way to steep even if I ditched a full size set of cans.

I would like to hear more opinions on IEMs in general and if it really is worth checking out a set of IEMs, and ditching the Sony or other full size cans.

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 10
As you can't try out any other headphones, run a search for 'best headphones for $100' at the top. There are MANY threads even with the exact title - this will give you a good idea of the best recommendations, often with peoples opinions on the individual sound of the headphones. You'll probably mostly read about Audio Technica, Shure, Sennheiser and maybe Denon. Occasionally you might see a Grado or AKG recommendation.

Personally I would recommend and AKG as I find they have a very good all-round sound, but for some the sound is not 'fun' enough - although this depends on the headphone in question. The AKG K240 II is an often recommended starter headphone, or the cheaper asian clone called Superlux is apparently pretty good too. I have the original K240 from the 80's, and it's absolutely superb even by today's standards, but the new modern ones have lower impedance, so you don't necessarily need an amplifier (good for you).

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 10
My audio technica ckm500 iem which costs only $58, sounds much better than my brothers $200 vmoda lp2, and almost as good as sennheiser hd-25.

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #8 of 10
I wanted to revisit this topic briefly. First, thanks for all the contributions. Secondly, with Black Friday just a few days away, I wondered if anyone had any links for Black Friday deals that will be relevant here? I figure that there has to be a deal worth jumping on here, but I don't know where to look. Much less who reputable online sources are for a set of in ear monitors.

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
I wanted to revisit this topic briefly. First, thanks for all the contributions. Secondly, with Black Friday just a few days away, I wondered if anyone had any links for Black Friday deals that will be relevant here? I figure that there has to be a deal worth jumping on here, but I don't know where to look. Much less who reputable online sources are for a set of in ear monitors.

I'm sure sites like earphone solutions and amazon will have black friday sales

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 10
For In ear I love my Shure SE 215k's. Amazon has them in stock and also that the limited edition blues. Wish I had got those *sadface* http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Sound-Monitor-Black/dp/B004PNZFZ8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back