Buying Advice - Warmer than the PM-3 and HA-2 Combo
Aug 7, 2018 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

mcconnel

Head-Fier
But still portable and under $1000 for the phones and amp.

Love the Oppo gear, stellar - just a bit cold and technical, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for your advice!

Aug 8, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 24
The PM-3 and HA-2 are supposed to work great together (which is to be expected because they’re made by by the same company...or should I say ‘were’ since Oppo Digital has closed) but that also probably means they combine to make a certain sound that isn’t to your tastes. Anyway, the portable FiiO Amps (E10, 17 etc) are supposed to be good and some of them provide bass boost functions and other eq options. When I think of warm and relaxing the Momentum 2 are the first that come to mind. The MDR-1A and P7 are supposed to be kind of warm too. There’s also the Meze 99 which is quite warm and thick sounding and portable enough but not as much as the others I just mentioned. I haven’t heard them and I’m not very familiar with amps so honestly I don’t have much to provide here lol. My current headphone is the B&O H6 gen 2 and is great, quite possibly the best portable closed back (many have said this). However, it might not suit you as it is pretty smooth sounding overall but can get analytical at times. It’s pretty neutral so it depends on what you’re listening to.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 24
After loving the Oppo so much I'm almost averse to a dynamic can. I'm left wondering if any of them could possibly be as fast as a planar.

I've never even considered the BO. Great price. Are you using an amp? How is the low end?

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 24
Check into the Campfire Cascade. Super warm,very thick sounding,with tons of bass,and filters to adjust the bass up or down.
Can be driven from a potato.

Aug 9, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 24
I am using the Chord Mojo combined with AudioQuest NightHawk (open) and NightOwl (closed), and it's a very muscial pairing.
I bought it based on the preference of Rob Watts, the Chord DAC developer.
He moved up to the MrSpeakers Aeon closed as his choice for closed, portable gear, which was out of my budget, but would be a planar option.

NightOwl/NightHawk takes a little getting used to, dark, large soundstage, but very, very musical and real, even if not neutral.

I also have th B&O H6 Gen 2, and prefer the Audioquest headphones by a large margin. H6 is clear and neutral, but the NightOwl/Hawk just open up a concert hall and immerse you in the music. The H6 is a nice headphone for the €150 I paid, but the Audioquest HPs are way above in price and performance. The NightOwl has an MSRP of €699 but is being sold off now for less than 350.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #7 of 24
After loving the Oppo so much I'm almost averse to a dynamic can. I'm left wondering if any of them could possibly be as fast as a planar.

I've never even considered the BO. Great price. Are you using an amp? How is the low end?
I’m not using an amp but may consider getting one someday, although they don’t need it. Great low end in my opinion, it goes real low and the sub-bass has some impact. It can get to be a little too prominent/resonant on really bass heavy tracks but other than that it’s pretty clean. The BO however is not a planar. B&O has stored in some cities so you may be able to find one near you. Part of the reason I bought it over other choices was because I got to hear it first and what I heard in the store that day really impressed me.

I haven’t heard them but the AudioQuest NightOwl but it is something to consider if you want something warmer as the above comment states it has a dark signature and that matches up with a lot of things I read about it. I also wouldn’t be witholden to think it has a larger soundstage than the H6. The H6 has a good soundstage though. At this price point there are a lot of great options and it tends to come down to preference both in sound and features. The Nightowls could work as a portable but they are larger than the H6 and PM3.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #8 of 24
I’m not using an amp but may consider getting one someday, although they don’t need it. Great low end in my opinion, it goes real low and the sub-bass has some impact. It can get to be a little too prominent/resonant on really bass heavy tracks but other than that it’s pretty clean. The BO however is not a planar. B&O has stored in some cities so you may be able to find one near you. Part of the reason I bought it over other choices was because I got to hear it first and what I heard in the store that day really impressed me.

I haven’t heard them but the AudioQuest NightOwl but it is something to consider if you want something warmer as the above comment states it has a dark signature and that matches up with a lot of things I read about it. I also wouldn’t be witholden to think it has a larger soundstage than the H6. The H6 has a good soundstage though. At this price point there are a lot of great options and it tends to come down to preference both in sound and features. The Nightowls could work as a portable but they are larger than the H6 and PM3.

Actually, considering Mcconnel's requirement for a warm sounding combo, I would clearly advise against the H6, as they are anything but warm.
I also had the Sennheiser Momentum 2 over ear models, which are warm (and very portable), but the bass is quit bloated and mids and treble, while clear, are drowned out in the overwhelming mid-bass. They are also more colored than I like.
The H6 are much leaner, without being bright. I especially liked them for piano, they have a natural attack and timbre, but I stoped using them after getting the Nightowls.
The Nightowls sound like a good speaker setup in a living room, wide, deep, dynamic, invloving, complete and detailed without pushing details into your face.

Both the Sennheiser M2 and the H6 would be a step down from the Oppo PM3, the Meze 99 is highly acclaimed, the NightOwl is a steal at the current price IMHO.
An excellent review directyl comparing the last two is here:
https://theheadphonelist.com/honeyed-songs-in-the-forests-shade-a-review-of-the-audioquest-nightowl/

If portability is important, Neither the NightOwl not the Meze fare well....
Both have great transport boxes but are quite big. I take my NOs to work, but on an airplane it's really a hassle...

BTW, another HP that was reommended a lot was the ZMF blackwood, Ramnetin, who seems very experienced, recommends them a lot.

Aug 9, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #9 of 24
But still portable and under $1000 for the phones and amp.

Love the Oppo gear, stellar - just a bit cold and technical, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for your advice!
I'm wondering if you've tried EQing the PM-3? I've noticed a small boost at 250-500Hz brings vocals forward and warms them up some.

LOL

Way out of the price range... :)
How so? Even if you were to add the Dragonfly Red, it'd still come in $1.05 under your specified budget.

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #11 of 24
Actually, considering Mcconnel's requirement for a warm sounding combo, I would clearly advise against the H6, as they are anything but warm.
I also had the Sennheiser Momentum 2 over ear models, which are warm (and very portable), but the bass is quit bloated and mids and treble, while clear, are drowned out in the overwhelming mid-bass. They are also more colored than I like.
The H6 are much leaner, without being bright. I especially liked them for piano, they have a natural attack and timbre, but I stoped using them after getting the Nightowls.
The Nightowls sound like a good speaker setup in a living room, wide, deep, dynamic, invloving, complete and detailed without pushing details into your face.

Both the Sennheiser M2 and the H6 would be a step down from the Oppo PM3, the Meze 99 is highly acclaimed, the NightOwl is a steal at the current price IMHO.
An excellent review directyl comparing the last two is here:
https://theheadphonelist.com/honeyed-songs-in-the-forests-shade-a-review-of-the-audioquest-nightowl/

If portability is important, Neither the NightOwl not the Meze fare well....
Both have great transport boxes but are quite big. I take my NOs to work, but on an airplane it's really a hassle...

BTW, another HP that was reommended a lot was the ZMF blackwood, Ramnetin, who seems very experienced, recommends them a lot.
I do agree that the H6 might not be the best choice, as even though they have good bass they are not really warm. I don’t know if I’d call them a step below the PM-3, though. I’d put them in the same class (mid-fi portables) since they were all around the same price (along with M2, P7 and maybe even Meze) where the “best” of the lot comes down to preference.

Your description of the Nightowls makes me really interested in hearing them, I must say...

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #12 of 24
You said you'd like to keep it all under $1000.
The Campfire Cascade is $799 and the Dragonfly Red is $199.95. Together that's $998.95, or $1.05 lower than your specified budget.

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #13 of 24
Is it possible for a dynamic HP to be as fast and detailed as a planar? What I don’t want to lose, that is just stunning in the Oppo, is the detail and accuracy - the ability to reproduce every single tiny element of a recording - that amazing “whoa never heard that before” experience.

Thanks for the replies, huge help. I’m researching all suggestions.

I HAVE had the Meze 99s... loved them, amazing, but lacked the speed and detail I wanted.

Hey, maybe I am asking for too much LOL.

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #14 of 24
I'd say probably yes. At least in comparison to the PM-3. Of my "mid-fi" 'phones, (Beyerdynamic DT 1990, Sennheiser HD 650, Oppo PM-3), I'd say the PM-3 is the least detailed and probably tied with the Sennheiser for "speed" (in quotes because I think a lot of people mean different things with this word), at least to my ears... and the HD 650 is not renowned for being speedy or detailed. Granted, maybe this isn't entirely a fair comparison since both the Beyer and Senn are open back and both cost more (although the HD 650 was already 11 years old (?) when the PM-3 was released, so this puts them on a slightly closer playing field, in my opinion).
I can't speak to any other planars, though, since the PM-3 are the only ones I've heard.

I'd also add that the DT 1990 is significantly more detailed and significantly faster than the PM-3. So, yes, dynamic drivers can be as fast or faster than planar, at least at this level.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #15 of 24
Good response. Closed back is a must. What amp are you using with those dynamic HPs that you find are faster and more detailed than the PM3? I think, based on the hardware alone, the planar must be faster... but that with the right amp, a cone could beat it out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back