Buying a Zhalou DAC from Hong Kong
Sep 22, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #46 of 52
I have now done the second best upgrade ever since started this hobby: Headamp GS-1.

I have no idea what I was missing from the HD650! With the GS-1 the HD650 sounds like a totally different animal. Everything just sounds *more* (no, I don't mean louder :p). I won't rant too much about the GS-1 here because this is not an amp forum.

However, this puts my ranking of the discrete amp in a different perspective. I am not so convinced of the performance of the discrete amp anymore. Of course, I would be stupid to compare a $600 amp with a ~$50 dollars upgrade. However, the jump between the discrete amp to the GS-1 is a *huge* upgrade. Therefore, I think I will need to hear some "value" amp ($100 or less) to compare. For what it's worth, the sound signature between the GS-1 and the discrete amp is similar which leads me to believe that the discrete amp is relatively transparent.

My opinion for now is that the discrete amp is extremely good for the money, but is no substitute for a good quality amp.

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #47 of 52
well put, the discrete amp is very nice for the price

without a separate case, power supply or anything else involved with a dedicated amp it is able to be kept at a low price, but with surprisingly good build

the GS-1 is a highly regarded amp, so it's no surprise that it trounced the discrete headamp upgrade. but yeah... good gateway into this hobby =)

Sep 22, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #48 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Progenitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have now done the second best upgrade ever since started this hobby: Headamp GS-1.

However, this puts my ranking of the discrete amp in a different perspective. I am not so convinced of the performance of the discrete amp anymore. Of course, I would be stupid to compare a $600 amp with a ~$50 dollars upgrade. However, the jump between the discrete amp to the GS-1 is a *huge* upgrade. Therefore, I think I will need to hear some "value" amp ($100 or less) to compare. For what it's worth, the sound signature between the GS-1 and the discrete amp is similar which leads me to believe that the discrete amp is relatively transparent.

My opinion for now is that the discrete amp is extremely good for the money, but is no substitute for a good quality amp.

I am not familar with GS-1, what amp is this, also, the $50 upgrade, what upgrade is this, using opamp, what type of opamp it is using?

Possibly you may want to write a short review on the different between the two under headamp section.

cheers...thanks for a good review..

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #49 of 52
i also have the 2.5a with upgraded discreet amp and i've used with dt880 and k501 and k701; i don't have much to compare to but my opinion is: its pretty nice, but not mind-blowing like i hoped it would be

my opinion: zhaolu is good, but overhyped and is no longer the greatest deal ever, as the price has gone up; however, with the discreet amp, it might just well be the best deal there is for a complete package under $300

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #51 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttan98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not familar with GS-1, what amp is this, also, the $50 upgrade, what upgrade is this, using opamp, what type of opamp it is using?

Possibly you may want to write a short review on the different between the two under headamp section.

cheers...thanks for a good review..

he's talking about the discrete headphone amp upgrade.

stock Zhaolu D2.0/D2.5 came with a cheap opamp/cmoy-like headphone amp, however there was an option to upgrade it and that's what he's talking about, the upgraded headphone amp module.

as the name suggests it's discrete and thus has no opamps for amplifiaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back