Buying a whole new set up!
Apr 30, 2011 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

JamestheRipper

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I dont have a good 'at home' listening set up right now, so that's what I am aiming for.

I might be getting a new computer this summer, and I'm unsure about going with the Fiio E7/E9 set up, or if I should buy an Asus Xonar Essence ST because I have head great things about the two - I am aware of the Fiio E7/E9 combo gives you both an amp, portable amp and a dac which is obviously an advantage to the sound card, but supposedly the sound card provides better SQ (however I'm not sure I need it).

As for the headphones I'm extremely conflicted - 

My current portable set up is Westone UM3x with an unamped Cowon S9 which I have had for about 15 - 16 months. I use FLAC files but I DO find it difficult to distinguish between 320kbps MP3 and FLAC files (using this set up). The range I can hear is about 35Hz - 19kHz.
I find the UM3x sound very neutral, however when using JetEffect with my own EQ setting they sound fantastic. I primarily listen to rock, metal and electronica.

I'm looking at:

Grado SR-225, Sennheiser HD25-1 ii, and Audio Technica ATHM50 but to my knowledge none of which REQUIRE an amp.

I was curious:

Would I be disappointed with the SQ coming from the westones?

Do you think I should go for an open pair of headphones?

Am I looking at totally the wrong headphones for what I'm looking for?

I havent decided on a price range because I would prefer to invest in the computer, but for the whole set up I don't want to spend more than 500 dollars.

May 1, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 16
James, a good setup for you, under $500, would be a pair of HD650 and a Schiit Asgard or Valhalla. Schiit is new to audio, but there amps are the best at that price point. Many people have reviewed them and love it. Good Luck James

May 1, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
James, a good setup for you, under $500, would be a pair of HD650 and a Schiit Asgard or Valhalla. Schiit is new to audio, but there amps are the best at that price point. Many people have reviewed them and love it. Good Luck James

where can this this stuff authentically and for cheap?

and also do you think that an Asus Xonar DG with Audio Technica ATHM50 would be a good (and very cheap) option?

May 1, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 16
You can get the HD650 for $300 used of Head-Fi, and the Schiit's are hard to find used, but you can buy an Asgard for $250 brand new at there website, and the Valhalla is new on there website for $350.

May 1, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
where can this this stuff authentically and for cheap?

and also do you think that an Asus Xonar DG with Audio Technica ATHM50 would be a good (and very cheap) option?

The Asus and Audio Technica's are not as good as my listed setup.

May 1, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
The Asus and Audio Technica's are not as good as my listed setup.

I know that, but do you think I should play around with several cheaper headphones to be satisfied on a signature? These headphones seem to be very well recommended and are around the 100 dollar mark:
Sennheiser HD555
Sennheiser HD25-1 II
Audio-Technica ATH M-50
AKG K181DJ 

how do you rate the AKG K701/2 against the HD650? And also I read the the E7/E9 amp would drive the HD650 to "its full potential" and thats about 200 dollars. (I also read that its a very good combo with the K701/2)

May 1, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:

I know that, but do you think I should play around with several cheaper headphones to be satisfied on a signature? These headphones seem to be very well recommended and are around the 100 dollar mark:
Sennheiser HD555
Sennheiser HD25-1 II
Audio-Technica ATH M-50
AKG K181DJ 

how do you rate the AKG K701/2 against the HD650? And also I read the the E7/E9 amp would drive the HD650 to "its full potential" and thats about 200 dollars. (I also read that its a very good combo with the K701/2)

The AKG's are a love or hate relationship, the HD650 are the same. The Schiit amps are from desktop use, while the E7/E9's is a much smaller amp. What kind of music do you listen to?

May 1, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:

The AKG's are a love or hate relationship, the HD650 are the same. The Schiit amps are from desktop use, while the E7/E9's is a much smaller amp. What kind of music do you listen to?

i listen to mainly rock, metal and electronica. i also listen to some music where i consider ambience to be important (eg classical, vocals (namely Adele)). i dont expect to find something which is perfect for everything, just something which is good at everything and notably good at rock.

the thing im concerned about is that i would have to buy a DAC or a soundcard on top of the Schiit amp.

May 1, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
i listen to mainly rock, metal and electronica. i also listen to some music where i consider ambience to be important (eg classical, vocals (namely Adele)). i dont expect to find something which is perfect for everything, just something which is good at everything and notably good at rock.

the thing im concerned about is that i would have to buy a DAC or a soundcard on top of the Schiit amp.

Woops, i kinda blew the budget
rolleyes.gif
Here's a DAC, and if you listen to lots of rock get a pair of Grado 325's and an Asgard.

May 1, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #13 of 16
the E7/E9 is a dac as well, and apparently its got plenty of power for the hd800's.

how is the asgard so much better? im not very familiar with this, because the only amp i have ever used was built in to my stereo player and wasnt particularly good.

May 1, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
the E7/E9 is a dac as well, and apparently its got plenty of power for the hd800's.

how is the asgard so much better? im not very familiar with this, because the only amp i have ever used was built in to my stereo player and wasnt particularly good.

Alot of things have plenty of power for the HD800, but does is synergize? The Asgard is a very respected amp that has just recently came to market. The Asgard will have a bigger difference than the E7, and the quality is much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back