buying a used MG HEAD 32... need help
Oct 27, 2004 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Vedder323

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys... im getting ready to buy an MG HEAD 32 and the owner says...

"But the only annoyance I've experienced is that the amp needs to warm up for about 1 hour before use. If not, for some reason, the left channel seems underpowered? Not sure why this happened, but seemed minor since it wouldn't happen as long as I warmed up the amp about an hour before use."

Does this appear to be a normal thing? I have owned tube amps before and never thought it took 1 hour for tubes to warm up.

Oct 27, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 5
This is not normal, the amp should warm up the same way and work the same way (or at least similar) in both channels, it could be a bad filter, or a tube, or who knows...but for sure it is not normal, ask him about the tubes, and if he had replaced the tubes and if while he swap the tubes the problems moves with the tubes...to eliminate the chance of a bad tube....

Oct 27, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 5
I have seen that characteristic exhibited in tube amplifiers before. I did not feel it was a major issue frankly. I will admit however, that a tube swap was not performed in any case. Thus, I was unable to isolate the issue if any.

Oct 27, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 5
I tend to go along with Sov, that's definately not normal. Was it like that from day one? The reason I ask is because it might be just a bad tube, if not it might be something more serious?

Oct 29, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
I tend to go along with Sov, that's definately not normal. Was it like that from day one? The reason I ask is because it might be just a bad tube, if not it might be something more serious?

looks like he figured it out...

"Hey...so I did some testing and apparently, it's not an amp issue at all.
The problem seems to be with my source, which is a RME digipad sound card. After changing my source from my computer to my ipod, experienced no problems at all with sound on the left channel.
I've heard the drivers aren't exactly the most stable..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back