Buying a new soundcard. Advice wanted.
Jun 13, 2005 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

canto iv

New Head-Fier
Hello there,

I'm in the market to buy a high quality soundcard that supports 5.1 dolby surround sound but I have no idea what to get. I'd be using it mostly for playing audio files but I also intend on doing some home recording. Perhaps one with both a 1/8" and 1/4" input, and a mic cable input would be most ideal. The latter isn't absolutely necessary, though.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 15
I'd say Revo 5.1 for best quality.

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 15
My Revo 5.1 totally pulverizes the SB Live! I used to have. Nuff' said.

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:53 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordgibbness
I'd say Revo 5.1 for best quality.

Have you heard all the other cards also?

Jun 14, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by canto iv
How does Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum compare to Revo 5.1? I'm not going to be playing any games on my computer, strictly just listening to audio (mp3s, DVDs, CDs) and recording. This seems pretty ideal, but I'd like some advice before buying...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102163

The Revo has a better DAC (AKM 4358) than the Audigy and it doesn't resample CD sources to 48KHz. It also has a pretty reasonable headphone out if that is useful to you. The Audigy would offer some advantages with games, but as that is no concern I'd go get the Revo.

Jun 14, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordgibbness
The Revo has a better DAC (AKM 4358) than the Audigy and it doesn't resample CD sources to 48KHz. It also has a pretty reasonable headphone out if that is useful to you. The Audigy would offer some advantages with games, but as that is no concern I'd go get the Revo.

Excellent, thanks. One more question! Would it be possible to buy an external box (much like what comes with the Audigy) to compliment the Revo 5.1? The 1/4" and microphone cable inputs would be fantastic for recording. Not to mention, the remote is cool too! Haha.

29-102-163-07.JPG

Jun 15, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #13 of 15
Buuuuuuuuuump. If I can't get an external box for the Revolution 5.1, I'll probably go with the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum instead. I really like the fact that it has the 1/4" and microphone cable inputs. I'm used to my onboard soundcard, so I'm sure anything will sound a million times better... right?
confused.gif
Haha.

By the way, I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has helped me out so far.

Jun 15, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by canto iv
Buuuuuuuuuump. If I can't get an external box for the Revolution 5.1, I'll probably go with the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum instead. I really like the fact that it has the 1/4" and microphone cable inputs. I'm used to my onboard soundcard, so I'm sure anything will sound a million times better... right?
confused.gif
Haha.

By the way, I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has helped me out so far.

In that case you *may* want to take a look at the Terratec DMX6Fire or whatever they call it. That has a 5.25" panel and better sound quality than the Audigy 2.

Jun 16, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #15 of 15
I think DMX6fire has now been replaced by Aureon 7.1 Universe and it comes with a break-out box too (like DMX6fire did).

It's a Envy 24 -series based sound card with a very decent DirectSound3D performance (not a huge drop in frame rates) and otherwise ok sound card as long as measurements count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back