Buying a new cans, need help! ~400 euro max
Jan 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mindflayz

Head-Fier
Hello I'm going to buy a new pair of headphones.
Currently I have Sennheiser PC360 but I want to upgrade.

The headphones will be connected to my Asus Xonar Essence  ST which has a headphone amp build-in.

I listen to Hip Hop, Dubstep and Trance.  Also a little bit of pop/rock.

My budget is around 400 euro but I would be happy if I could spent a little less!

Currently I've been looking into
Ultrasone Pro 900
Beyerdynamic T70
Beyerdynamic T90 (which I cant find in stock from any Swedish company :frowning2: )
AKG Q701
AKG K550
Sennheiser Momentum/Amperior

But I'm open for any suggestion, not just those!

I am really confused...

Would love some help!

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 16
Hi

I have the AKG Q701 and I would not recommend it for the music you are listening to. It is a terrific headphone but it does not have a lot of bass and therefore might not satisfy your listening preferences.

If you can, try to audition the headphones (preferably with your own music) before you buy, that is usually very helpful.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:
Hi
I have the AKG Q701 and I would not recommend it for the music you are listening to. It is a terrific headphone but it does not have a lot of bass and therefore might not satisfy your listening preferences.
If you can, try to audition the headphones (preferably with your own music) before you buy, that is usually very helpful.

I can't audition anything because I live in a small town and there are no real music stores sadly.
Thanks for warning me a bout the AKG Q701, I've read alot of ppl say they lack bass etc but I really like their style and  from what I can tell - comfort ^^

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 16
I have both the DT 1350 and the Sennheiser Amperior, and have auditioned the K550. I would highly recommend the Amperior, it's easily the most fun sounding portable phone I've heard, and works great with the genres you mentioned.  The momentum seems like it would be a bit too laid back, and the Q701 would definitely be lacking in the bass department (since even the K550 has more bass than it, and that's not a whole lot).  The Amperiors on the other hand, are really forward and punchy, with nice mid-bass (but not a whole lot of sub-bass), mids and highs. The only caveat is that they're arguably not worth the price difference between them and their original predecessor, the HD 25-1's.

Another set that seem to be good though, are the new Tiesto phones, the AKG K167 and K267 (well, as soon as it's released anyway). There does seem to be some concern about their build quality however... but the sound signature seems like it would suit your tastes.

EDIT: almost forgot, if you can find some Denon AH-D2000's or D5000's used for around that price, those would probably be your best bet.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 16
Thanks for the replies guys!
I can't find any reseller of the Denon headphones you told me about.
And I can only find an expensive reseller for the HiFiMAN 400

I would rather look for something that many resellers got in stock

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #9 of 16
The Denons are discontinued unfortunately, so you're not gonna find them in stock anywhere, that's why I suggested to look for used ones... they do have some of the best bass of the bunch though (in my opinion).  There is the new line of Denons however (i.e. the AH-D600), but I would strongly suggest you try those out and see how you like the mids/highs on them before committing, even though they do have spectacular bass. Those new ones are commonly found in Best Buy stores as well if there's any near you so you could demo them.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 16
Amperior seems to suit your taste, its more of a fun headphone with emphasis on the lows and highs.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #13 of 16
Just for your information, you can find a lot of headphones in stock at Thomann, like the T70 & T90 you had trouble finding. Sadly they don't have the Hifiman headphones though. While I haven't heard the T70/T90 myself I've kinda gotten the picture that there are better alternatives for the genres you mentioned though, like the DT-990 I had myself. They have emphasized bass and treble.

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
I've just ordered the HiFiMAN HE-400!
Thanks for the help here in my post and also a big shoutout to the entire forum, educated me alot :wink:

Great choice
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back