Buying a digital multi meter
Feb 6, 2008 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

wgr73

1000+ Head-Fier
I was looking at THIS one, it seems to be ok. I know that there are hundreds of different kinds...so if you guys want to give me any tips thats cool. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 18
Looks fine, just about all functions u will ever need.

Just keep it out of a hot car... Once I had a meter like this and it got hot enuff (this is *only* california) that the casing started to melt... cheap China plastic!

Would be nice if it has an auto-off. Nothing more annoying that when u need it and find out the battery is dead 'coz u left it on.

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #6 of 18
what are you using it for? if its just making cables, measuring bias voltages, some current, transistors and stuff.. and dont need anything too heavy, the ones that TomB sells at beezar.com (here). Like he says, you may prefer getting it from Harbor Freight. I assume since you're unsure what you really need, this would probably cover everything you'd ever need from it for.. a long time!

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking at THIS one, it seems to be ok. I know that there are hundreds of different kinds...so if you guys want to give me any tips thats cool. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Echoing ruZZ.il (but not touting my own business - thanks, ruZZ.il!
smily_headphones1.gif
), this meter sells for $19.99 at Harbor Freight right now:

37772.gif

Harbor Freight Tools - CEN-TECH DIGITAL MULTIMETER AC/DC

Needless to say, that's a lot less than your ebay listing, especially when counting shipping. I happen to own one, and it works great. In answer to heatmizer's comments, it comes with the thermocouple ready to use. That said, I use the smaller $2.99/$3.99/$4.99 (depending on the sale period) for everything but temperature.

I pull this one out to measure temperature on heat sinks and heat-sink-mounted transistors. It works quite well for all the other readings, too, though.

EDIT: Harbor Freight changed colors from yellow to red on all their DMM's. This is the very same meter as in your link.
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 18
With a bit of discipline, it is worth saving up for a Fluke meter. You will thank yourself later.

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 18
Thanks guys for all the help. I'll decide soon...

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a bit of discipline, it is worth saving up for a Fluke meter. You will thank yourself later.

+1

I have used Fluke's since I was in college (more than 20 yr ago) and still use Fluke's today (I have a very old Model 87 and a newer model 189). Definitely worth the extra money, but remember that you don't have to buy them new - Ebay could be your friend (that is how I scored the 189 relatively cheap!).

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 18
OK, one more time....
By trade , I'm an electronics metrologist. Also a EE. I have calibrated thousands of multimeters. I am here to tell you, Cen-Tech meters, if filled with lead, make a DANDY rowboat anchor.
You ppl that love 'em so much..... open one up. Look at the soldering job. Heck, look at the PCB!
What matters the most in a DMM is repeatability. IOW, the ability to display the same measurement for the same stimulus. Every, and I mean EVERY, Cen-tech meter I have ever tested, has failed to repeat within any reasonable amount, little less within specification.
No, I don't work for Fluke, as someone in another thread charged. Meterman makes halfway decent meters. Extech even makes decent stuff.
Just go buy a Fluke off Ebay. A true RMS one. Leave the Cen-Techs for the rowboats.

Feb 7, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #13 of 18
Hmmm....interesting point. Thanks

Feb 7, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #14 of 18
This is another good read from Tangent's site:

Hand-Matching Resistors to Tighter Tolerances

I read a bunch, and ended up ponying up for a Fluke 179. I couldn't quite stomach the near $400ish for the 289. According to the math in Tangent's article, you can't match resistors to .1% with the 179 until you get to fairly high values in each range, but according to my math, you CAN match to within 0.167% down to 60 ohms. Not that I think it matters all that much to do so... I bet one can get a heck of a lot of 0.1% resistors for the cost difference between the 179 and say a 11x. That said, it is a really nice meter, and It'll probably outlast me.

Feb 7, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #15 of 18
Maybe a DIYer don't need a super-accurate DMM? (don't have an EE, just 2 years TECH and CS).

But OK, if yer have the need to such close tolerance as able to measure a 1% resistor, OK, spend the $.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back