buying a 2nd pair of $500 headphones?
Sep 8, 2014 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ekul61

500+ Head-Fier
I have the he-400 hifiman...toying with the idea of buying the new he-400i......would you buy another hifiman or branch out into other manufacturers.

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 11
There's no "should". Strictly up to you. But there's too many headphone companies to own models from each of them, as a practical matter, for most people. So pick the ones u want.

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 11
I'd personally find one solid headphone and stick with it. 1 high end over many mid-fi. I know it seems tempting to have multiple headphones and to use them for different genres, but practically, it's much better if you can find one headphone that works well with everything. I had HE-500 and LCD-2 and got rid of them for the LCD-3. It was quite fun. Now with the HD800, it's much more easier, rewarding and fun. Just my experience. 

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 11
if u r down to wait, oppo will be releasing a new portable closed planar, pm3 probably arpund that price point in January. i think it is always nice to have a closed for portable and open for home if u want multiple pairs of headphones

Oct 14, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #7 of 11
  I'd personally find one solid headphone and stick with it. 1 high end over many mid-fi. I know it seems tempting to have multiple headphones and to use them for different genres, but practically, it's much better if you can find one headphone that works well with everything. I had HE-500 and LCD-2 and got rid of them for the LCD-3. It was quite fun. Now with the HD800, it's much more easier, rewarding and fun. Just my experience. 

I definitely agree with owning, say one flagship, instead of two mid-fi cans.......you will get a much larger wow factor.

At least that is my experience....I guess your milage may vary.

Oct 14, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 11
  I definitely agree with owning, say one flagship, instead of two mid-fi cans.......you will get a much larger wow factor.

At least that is my experience....I guess your milage may vary.

+1 I agree with this. You only have one pair of ears afterall! =P

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 11
easier said than done.. what is 1 pair of flagship? Im thinking u might have to buy 2 or 3 pairs to figure out which is you favorite.

hahaha... sure, but at the end of the day, you will most likely be spending all your time listening to your favorite pair. demoing at meets, purchasing from a place with a good return policy, or reselling here at the FS forums would probably be a wise financial decision for people experimenting with multiple flagships.

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 11
if u r down to wait, oppo will be releasing a new portable closed planar, pm3 probably arpund that price point in January. i think it is always nice to have a closed for portable and open for home if u want multiple pairs of headphones

I agree with the sentiment that one should have a pair for home and another pair to be ported to and from work, on trips, etc. I don't get much opportunity to really sit down and listen at home (too many young rugrats running amok), so although I have the Fostex TH600s, I never get to use them and am considering trying to sell. I'm using my Sennheiser HD8 DJs exclusively and man, the combination of sound quality and portability is out of this world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back