Buyer's Remorse: Headphones and earphones you bought on impulse and regretted.
Mar 15, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #46 of 336
Among my biggest disappointments were the various low-end Sony headphones (can't remember the model numbers off hand). They sounded screechy, and don't have much musical detail.

Also among my regretful "impulse" purchases were various Sony MDR-V### (yes, the triple-digit models) series headphones (up to the V700DJ). I definitely expected way too much from these Sonys; they delivered thick, muddy sound which put me off.

Mar 15, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #48 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
AKG K26P. After my SportaPros broke i was really excited when i saw Headrooms "review" of them to be great cans for rock, and ordered one. My greatest dissapointment in headphones. All bass, phony mids, rolled off highs.

eek.gif
I'm not the only one who feels ripped off by these cans?! I bought them after reading the review at headroom also and befor I knew of this site.

The sadest thing I spent days hunting for these cans, err trying to find somewhere that sold them and had them in stock. Since I upgraded from a PA2V2 to a Govibe-4 these cans do sound dare I say better but still they do not merit the gleaming review given at headroom. I would give them maybe a 2.5 out of 5 rating and thats after adding a turbo dockII and new amp in the mix. Befor that I might of given them a 1....

I just ordered a pair of Beyer Dt-231, again couldn't find in stock anywere here in the states so I ordered them from seller in the UK...hopefully these won't let down and end up in this list as well
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #49 of 336
-Sony MDR-NC6 (worked well, but IMO looked stupid wearing them on the bus/subway
580smile.gif
)
sold those on ebay a few weeks back when I bought the slimmer styled---

-Sony MDR-V150 (ugh, one of the few products I've ever returned within a week)

so...my search for a "slick" looking headphone led me here. I couldn't find any cans posted on here that I liked with good range, good sealing and a small form factor. So I just went out and bought a pair of Shure e2c's (on sale this week at circuitcity $83). If this site had a uh...cognitive dissonance thread, I'd post my new e2c's in there. I mean they're good sounding (not impressive, but not boomy/screechy), and isolate well, but still overpriced.

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #50 of 336
Sony SA1000 - I purchased these before they were available in America. So I paid roughly $240 for em. Not only were they much cheaper when they came out in America but I didn't really care for their sound.

AKG 501 - Sure they have a decent soundstage and nice mids but the practically non-existent bass got on my nerves big time. Not only that but the treble wasn't exactly refined. This remains the only high-end headphone that I’ve heard that I hate.

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #51 of 336
One headphone I sort of regret is purchasing the HD457's because of the urge for a new portable can at that time.

Way bloated, muddy, conguested bass. Mid's are non-existant..., and the high's are well... pretty dark sounding. Wasn't quite the sound I was looking for.

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #54 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Grado RS-1. Spending $650 on a single headphone still seems wrong to me, and I sometimes regret purchasing them. Whenever regret strikes, I just put them on and let the music whisk me away
smily_headphones1.gif

same..

Mar 15, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #55 of 336
$1 earbuds from Walmart. And they were worse than I expected!
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:46 AM Post #57 of 336
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
eek.gif
I'm not the only one who feels ripped off by these cans?! I bought them after reading the review at headroom also and befor I knew of this site.

My first message, so "Hello everybody
smily_headphones1.gif
"

In defence of the akg26p: I find them very "fun". They are perfect for non unmp on the street usage for me. Yes, px100 are more balanced, akg26p being very "boomy", but they are something surprising, after having being EQed a little bit
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #60 of 336
AKG K26p: same experience as some of you who posted before. Muddy bass, not comparable to the PX100 at all.

Audio Technica ATH-CK5: inexpensive, and clear-sounding enough, but completely lacks bass. The shock of its bassless sound is still propagating through my mind, and I'm staying away from the ATH-CK7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back