buyers dilemma: DT770 pro vs Sony MDR-1AM2 vs V-MODA Crossfade LP2
May 23, 2020 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

VB09

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I am not too sure which headphone will sound better with prog rock, jazz, metal sort of genres. I am looking to buy closed headphones for around 150 euros. I am a bit torn between V-MODA Crossfade LP2 vs Sony MDR-1AM2 vs DT770 pro vs ATH-A550Z. I am slightly inclined towards the DT770 80 Ω one.
I will be mostly using them through a laptop/ android phone, might buy an amp later down the year.
thanks

May 24, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 4
Hey guys,
I am not too sure which headphone will sound better with prog rock, jazz, metal sort of genres. I am looking to buy closed headphones for around 150 euros. I am a bit torn between V-MODA Crossfade LP2 vs Sony MDR-1AM2 vs DT770 pro vs ATH-A550Z. I am slightly inclined towards the DT770 80 Ω one.
I will be mostly using them through a laptop/ android phone, might buy an amp later down the year.
thanks
I can only comment on the V-MODA Crossfade LP2 vs DT770. Both sound v-shaped in general, with prominent bass and treble. The DT770 has deep bass, with a lot of sub bass, the mids are clear, but a bit recessed, the treble is detailed, but really quite bright. I usually tame the treble with EQ. The LP2 sounds warmer, with more midbass. The bass is punchy. The mids and treble are good, but not as resolving as the Beyer. So, it comes down to your preference. Do you want a warm, more laid back sound? Go for the LP2. If you want a more dynamic, detailed, but cooler sound; and if you don’t mind the bright treble (or are willing to use EQ), go for the DT770. With the Beyer, if you want to use it directly out of your phone, you may want to consider the 32 ohm version.

May 24, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 4
Can't speak for the V-Moda or the Sony but If you go for the DT 770 then I recommend the Custom Studio over it, it's basically an improved DT 770. Still has the same bass but you can adjust it with bass port sliders and the treble is not as bright either, it's a more mature version of the DT 770 that's easier to listen to especially over a long period of time. The Custom Studio also has a removable 3.5mm cable as well whereas the DT 770 cable is not removable.

May 25, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 4
Can't speak for the V-Moda or the Sony but If you go for the DT 770 then I recommend the Custom Studio over it, it's basically an improved DT 770. Still has the same bass but you can adjust it with bass port sliders and the treble is not as bright either, it's a more mature version of the DT 770 that's easier to listen to especially over a long period of time. The Custom Studio also has a removable 3.5mm cable as well whereas the DT 770 cable is not removable.
That’s right, I forgot about the Custom Studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back