Buy "OSSIC X" or not?
Mar 14, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #241 of 301
I wonder what the chances Audeze will actually deliver product as described.

I'd say good, except that I'm the sucker who backed Ossic so my expectations are proven to be dodgy. Audeze isn't a startup and there seems little reason to gamble their future on a pipe dream. Also, Jude seems pretty convinced and - while at times he strikes me as more pro-industry than pro-consumer - that must carry some weight.

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #242 of 301
But it looks like it is just using two drivers like regular headphones? So in essence if you buy a head tracker and attach to the headphones with software you could have the same functionality. Makes me wonder why create a separate unit just for this. However details on their site are sparse so anything i say is just speculation.

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #243 of 301
But it looks like it is just using two drivers like regular headphones? So in essence if you buy a head tracker and attach to the headphones with software you could have the same functionality. Makes me wonder why create a separate unit just for this. However details on their site are sparse so anything i say is just speculation.

The multi-driver approach used by Ossic has been criticised by several participants in this thread. I have no idea how important the peripheral drivers are to Ossic’s approach, but of course the Smyth Realiser works with any headphones so (in practice) there is a successful approach to the problem using only a standard pair of drivers. The assumption would have to be (assuming that the Ossic X works) that Ossic found a parallel solution that needed the multi-driver hardware. But of course both the Audeze and the Ossic have onboard decoding, so you could argue that this alone requires both manufacturers to issue headphones. It could also be argued that the marketplace will never accept 3D head-tracking cans until everything is fully integrated.

What the comparison between Audeze and Ossic also makes me wonder, though, is why both manufacturers lean hard on usage in games. I know that Audeze claim to have audiophile standard for music as well, but I have to question whether both manufacturers aren't depending on the fact that games sound is encoded for positioning rather than fidelity. If you’re focused on where a sound is, does that distract you from how lifelike it is?

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #244 of 301

Supposedly there is 'anatomy calibration', which would hopefully indicate some method of getting IID and ILD right. But yeah, don't see anything about getting spectral features right.

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #245 of 301
Sordel I too am a bit weary of the focus on gaming, for me it seems like they will push a product and charge extra just because gaming term is used. With that said yes there has been some great 3D without multi driver setups. Binaural and quadraphonic recordings pretty much prove that.

But I am not sure how many consumers will buy into the 3D sound aspect of it. It seems every time it comes out it flops much like VR has in the past. But you could be right maybe the streamlined form factor will help.

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #246 of 301
The multi-driver approach used by Ossic has been criticised by several participants in this thread. I have no idea how important the peripheral drivers are to Ossic’s approach, but of course the Smyth Realiser works with any headphones so (in practice) there is a successful approach to the problem using only a standard pair of drivers. The assumption would have to be (assuming that the Ossic X works) that Ossic found a parallel solution that needed the multi-driver hardware. But of course both the Audeze and the Ossic have onboard decoding, so you could argue that this alone requires both manufacturers to issue headphones. It could also be argued that the marketplace will never accept 3D head-tracking cans until everything is fully integrated.

What the comparison between Audeze and Ossic also makes me wonder, though, is why both manufacturers lean hard on usage in games. I know that Audeze claim to have audiophile standard for music as well, but I have to question whether both manufacturers aren't depending on the fact that games sound is encoded for positioning rather than fidelity. If you’re focused on where a sound is, does that distract you from how lifelike it is?

Smyth can work with regular cans because it does *measurements*. The trick is how you get things semi-realistic without needing microphones in your ear. One day this might involve photo/laser imagery. Ossic is taking the 'try to beam in the sound from the right direction' approach, hopefully more successfully than typical multi-driver designs. The game-centric approach is probably due to the fact that the multichannel market is mainly movies and games.

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #247 of 301
Yeah to me I also do not see how they do HRTF with these. But again info is lacking on the site. I would imagine MEMS sensors could be used for real time ear canal analysis, but I doubt they can replace microphones for true personalized calibration.

Curious if they support Atmos?

Mar 16, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #248 of 301
Oh boy am I late in catching up with this thread!

I agree with PR4XXIS, I would love more details on anatomy calibration. All they've indicated is that they have it, not that it will be active calibration using sensors as the Ossic promises. That was the deciding factor for me when I chose to back the Ossic.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #249 of 301
Oh boy am I late in catching up with this thread!

I agree with PR4XXIS, I would love more details on anatomy calibration. All they've indicated is that they have it, not that it will be active calibration using sensors as the Ossic promises. That was the deciding factor for me when I chose to back the Ossic.

TBH I'd like more detail on calibration from Ossic as well, especially in regards to spectral cues. But at least with multiple drivers I can imagine a 'beam it from the right places' approach. With the single drivers of the Mobius, there has to either be a measurement done or a selection from some kind of database to get the spectral cues right. Creative has an interesting competitor in the mix with their (eventual) Super X-Fi, but even there it's not clear to me how they're going to compensate for the interaction of the headphone with the particular user's pinnae, even if the user is using a set of the baked-in supported cans.

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #252 of 301
None just speculation some companies was over ambitious and trouble getting things to market

Mar 27, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #253 of 301
What's the salient information?
Innovationcycle regarding Chip sets.
Chip sets have noise cancelation etc. allready on board, so headphone manufacturers do not need to develop them by themselves.
Increase in DSP power.
Audeze approach regarding the Moebius (versus without saying it Ossic).
Their main reason using a funding platform to see the demand and not to develop the product (again the opposite to Ossic).

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #254 of 301
Innovationcycle regarding Chip sets.
Chip sets have noise cancelation etc. allready on board, so headphone manufacturers do not need to develop them by themselves.
Increase in DSP power.
Audeze approach regarding the Moebius (versus without saying it Ossic).
Their main reason using a funding platform to see the demand and not to develop the product (again the opposite to Ossic).

Well the Mobius makes no efforts to customize response to the pinnae (near as I can tell). And I assume it's easier for a company that's already a company to stay a company... Re OssicX, I am glad that instead of staying positive and maybe edging the product to fruition, certain people decided to be loud poopers.

Mar 27, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #255 of 301
nope factory reset doesn't work for this noise issue. If i'm the only one.. I guess i won the lottery and got a factory defective pair..

ufokillerz any update on your end? Have you managed to resolve the issue with their support?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back