Buy "OSSIC X" or not?
Jul 14, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #91 of 301

Have you heard them? Was it just music?  What did you think? Any impressions?  How was the sound sig?

Yes heard them at CanJam SoCal. They sound pretty good for headphones quite neutral nothing to write home about but not bad. I won't be giving up my Ether-C's for them but they were not too bad. It was just music I think it was Pink Floyd but I'm not for sure as I was making the rounds and these were not something I was looking for. The effect was really good as you could hear the transition of the instruments as you turned your head. It was really neat but I don't see the point in it. I don't know if it was there software but it seperated the instruments really well. I just found it to be a novelty no more.

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #92 of 301
I'd love to see a comparison between the ossic x and the waves nx sometime in the future.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/waves/waves-nx-3d-audio-on-any-headphones?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=nx-kickstarter

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #93 of 301
For those of you who skipped the Ossic X kickstarter campaign: The kickstarter campaign for the Smyth Realiser A16 will launch on August 1. Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1959366850/1286431739?token=e7f27544.

The price is quite a jump from the Ossic X, but at least the A16 is based on proven technology. I tried the A8 yesterday (the predecessor to the A16), and I was wowed by how accurately it simulated speakers. First I thought that the speakers were still playing, but there was only sound coming from my headphones!  

Aug 3, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #94 of 301
  I don't even know why I would want that for listening to music? Doesn't make sense, if we are watching a live performance we face the stage and accept that if we shift our head the sound changes, and usually not for the better. I still don't understand the problem this solution solves? I think when I turn my head listening to music with headphones I don't want some strange interpretation of how the music has been repositioned being presented to me. Perhaps I just don't get it?

My hope (and I haven't heard them) is that they will respond to small movements of the head such as you might naturally make while listening to a surround mix on speakers. If you turn slightly to hear the guitar in the left speaker you are "remixing" the music on the fly, increasing the presence of that channel in your ears. I wouldn't want to turn around and hear what's in the back channels (unless the mixing engineer has done her job wrong) but small changes in orientation can fix a surround mix and I want to be able to use those headphones when I am either not able to crank the volume on my speakers or when I am faced away from a typical sitting position in my home.

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #95 of 301
Hello,

I just discovered OSSIC X through kickstarter, and think the product idea is really cool. But im just having a hard time believing that [COLOR=373E4D]the product live up to the expectations and what they show in their promotional videos. It's because i have a very strict budget, so im not sure if i should take the chance and buy the headphone, or just skip the kickstarter offer and wait for other headphones to be released?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=373E4D]Hope you can help[/COLOR]
[COLOR=373E4D]Thor.[/COLOR]

Don't waste your money in something that you can't test.
I think unless you can get an audio source recorded in 8 channels, 4 to the left and 4 to the right side, 8 binaural channels, drived in DSD format, through 8 Berylium Drivers or planar, OSSIC would be a cheat for gamers, 128kbps mp3 users.

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #96 of 301
Don't waste your money in something that you can't test.

Well, I wouldn't quite go far. but certainly don't gamble with money you can't afford to lose. The Ossic X isn't particularly expensive but with the obvious question marks over its technology I couldn't recommend that anyone stretches their finances to buy one.

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #97 of 301
i took the plunge way back. fingers crossed they sound half decent.

but now i have a full stax setup, so i'm not sure how great they will sound

i am part of the innovator/developer pledge. Originally expected to receive prototypes this month. but probably delayed

Aug 20, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #98 of 301
Originally expected to receive prototypes this month. but probably delayed

I've seen something unofficial about next year but nothing from Ossic themselves. Given that they've only just finalised the headband and have yet to manufacture even one final design unit I think that we may be waiting quite a while yet, but this is one where I don't mind a delay if they get it right but it's a shame that this looks unlikely to be shipped before Christmas.

Aug 20, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #99 of 301
i took the plunge way back. fingers crossed they sound half decent.

but now i have a full stax setup, so i'm not sure how great they will sound

i am part of the innovator/developer pledge. Originally expected to receive prototypes this month. but probably delayed
Not for sure the prototype will sound as good as the final but don't expect it to come anywhere close to a Stax setup. The prototype sounded a bit better than mid fi maybe but no where close to a SR-009 or 7 for that matter. The separation is crazy but as far as detail not that close from what I remember it was March when I heard them and sound quality was something I wasn't sure about as the separation effect is all I was hearing at the time. I just don't think I could enjoy them that much as I don't tend to swing my head around listening to music. The effect is crazy good as you turn and another part of the music is front and center and go the other way and a different part takes its place as the others go to their place in the mix.

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #100 of 301
Hi, I paid 999 Dollar to receive the developer package including according the Kickstarter Ossic information: “You will receive an early, hand-built, Ossic X development kit headphone with beta software (AUG 2016)”.
So far I have not received anything.
In August they pushed it back to December and now March! One could think that they do not have a prototype they could send out to us development backers. The truth is different as you can see from this article: https://www.cinema5d.com/hands-on-with-ossic-x-360-audio-headphones-that-raised-2-7-million-on-kickstarter/#comment-38998
The good thing is I also backed on kickstarter the Smyth A16. I was able to meet the company at the Paris at the audio show and test their product there. It's an audiophiles dream. They will send out in May as promised. So quite probable I will get their product before the Ossic.
Ossic backers on Kickstarter go mad currently as Ossic refuses to pay back the money as they are not keeping up to their promises and discuss for the 100times the headband.

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #101 of 301
Hi, I paid 999 Dollar to receive the developer package including according the Kickstarter Ossic information: “You will receive an early, hand-built, Ossic X development kit headphone with beta software (AUG 2016)”.
In August they pushed it back to December and now March! One could think that they do not have a prototype they could send out to us development backers. The truth is different as you can see from this article: https://www.cinema5d.com/hands-on-with-ossic-x-360-audio-headphones-that-raised-2-7-million-on-kickstarter/#comment-38998
The good thing is I also backed on kickstarter the Smyth A16. I was able to meet the company at the Paris at the audio show and test their product there. It's an audiophiles dream. They will send out in May as promised. So quite probable I will get their product before the Ossic.
Ossic backers on Kickstarter go mad currently as Ossic refuses to pay back the money as they are not keeping up to their promises and discuss for the 100times the headband.

I completely sympathise. I'm in for both these kickstarters as well, and I wish that the Ossic had maintained their shipping date so that I could have had some time with them before the A16 ... mainly because I'm pretty confident that the A16 is going to make the Ossic obsolete in my home. Although I didn't go for the prototype tier, I would have hoped that they would have got something out for you guys.

Still, tech Kickstarters aren't for people on a strict timetable and Ossic are trying something new, so I'm willing to cut them some slack.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #102 of 301

Thanks for the heads-up. Your post really helped me make up my mind. Hope u get your prototype soon.

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #103 of 301
Oh no. The German computer magazine "Heise" did a short test on the CES.
https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Viel-Laerm-um-nichts-3D-Kopfhoerer-Ossic-X-ausprobiert-3589796.html

Headline: Much noise around nothing.

Summary:
With VR glasses it works, but the Heise team thinks this is standard as the Occulus Rift already is providing the audio 3D work.
Once you use the Ossic headphones with music and you use the 3D Audio spacialization there's a loss of sound quality and music sounds dull. Heise found it sounded better in stereo.
Hardware looks good according to the article. Headphone fits vgood on the head and have good sound without 3D active.

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #104 of 301
Oh no. The German computer magazine "Heise" did a short test on the CES.
https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Viel-Laerm-um-nichts-3D-Kopfhoerer-Ossic-X-ausprobiert-3589796.html

Headline: Much noise around nothing.

Summary:
With VR glasses it works, but the Heise team thinks this is standard as the Occulus Rift already is providing the audio 3D work.
Once you use the Ossic headphones with music and you use the 3D Audio spacialization there's a loss of sound quality and music sounds dull. Heise found it sounded better in stereo.
Hardware looks good according to the article. Headphone fits vgood on the head and have good sound without 3D active.

Thanks for the valuable update. Wish something was said about how they get along with movies. Basically, 3D headphones should aim more at games and movies more than they do at music.

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #105 of 301
Don´t buy Ossic buy a vr headset. Then you get super accurate tracking of the sound in your virtual games. It´s there the benefit is afterall. The idea to put the tracking on the headphones themselves is really backwards it would be better to just have a tracking band you can put on any headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back