Buy "OSSIC X" or not?
Mar 27, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #256 of 301
IMHO, probably the biggest misstep from OSSIC, I can figure out from public information is:

Instead of releasing the most immediately viable product with the initial funds & getting more sales to fund V2, they instead appear to have prepared something akin to V2 here.

So this has probably damaged:
-market capture (they could have left less meat on the bone for Audeze’s 3D Mobius)
-burn rate: (longer time to market + R&D)
-war chest: (it appears empty)
-flywheel/inertia: (they now need substantial funds to fulfill the campaign orders prior to making their first legit sale)

Perhaps they can get a sugar daddy to help them get to market or maybe even just sell out. I feel like this is too big to be abandoned but it doesn’t exactly appear to be going well.

That said, if they have 5.1 on iOS, I’ll drop full retail price on it.

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #257 of 301
I agree, they seemed to keep shifting their vision of what V1.0 should be, and now risk having no version to show. It's too bad, because at the end of the day what interests me most is the product having the best correlations to what my ears actually expect. My hope is they find a few big donors to get them through, but the negativism openly on display really isn't helping anyone get their headphones at this point. If they do end up with a non-kickstarter solution, I would also still be interested if there are mobile options for surround.

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #258 of 301
ufokillerz any update on your end? Have you managed to resolve the issue with their support?
sorry, never returned it for a new unit. mainly because i'm not even sure they will have a new unit to send me.. and they might belly flop anytime. Better to have a expensive piece of junk, then nothing at all.

Mar 28, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #259 of 301
sorry, never returned it for a new unit. mainly because i'm not even sure they will have a new unit to send me.. and they might belly flop anytime. Better to have a expensive piece of junk, then nothing at all.

Hang onto it ... if it turns out only a handful ever get sent out it'll be worth thousands.

Mar 28, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #260 of 301
Hang onto it ... if it turns out only a handful ever get sent out it'll be worth thousands.
due to all the setback with their development.. can't trust anything they say. So mind as well hold onto this..
they have a total of 4 threads going on in the developers unit forums.. i'm one of them.. I'm sure there are a lot more problems then these 4.
At this point, i'll be surprised if they manage to get to market with a retail release.

joined the indiegogo for the audeze cans that might come out this year

i mean i do have my stax sr009, kgsshv carbon, and a matrix x-sabre pro dac i'm enjoying

Mar 28, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #261 of 301

I completely understand it from your perspective. Are there any news on their current finances pr are things really grim?

Mar 28, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #262 of 301
I completely understand it from your perspective. Are there any news on their current finances pr are things really grim?
don't think the company is transparent like that.
they had kickstarter, indiegogo and now https://www.startengine.com/ossic
they haven't delivered yet. and they are constantly raising funds
2.7 mil on kickstarter
3.2 mil on indiegogo
They probably presold 25k headphones..

with the audeze mobius coming out... from a actually reputable company.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #263 of 301
If I’m reading the tea leaves from the startengine correctly, OSSIC mentioned that they needs funds to ship the pre-orders.

If you consider that the initial backers are getting the units fairly near to cost, that means it'll take $1-3mil in funds to ship the backlog before they can hope to ship orders from new sales, that means they need.

I believe they have had a staff of 10 or maybe more most of the last 2ish years, which is probably $1-2mil in salary alone. Outside of R&D + the marketing they've been doing.

It's likely they've burned enough cash that the weight of the pre order volume is crushing their launch, now that they appear to have a product essentially ready to ship.

I'd expect to see someone with money either purchase the controlling interest to ship it in a takeover of sorts, or maybe someone(like razr for example) just buys the design to turn it into their own product line.

I would doubt something this big just fades into obscurity now. Especially because the Audeze has proven the demand for products like this. There can be just as many competitors in the 3D headphones space as there are for bassheads, audiophiles & gamers. This isn't a winner take all idea.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #265 of 301
If I’m reading the tea leaves from the startengine correctly, OSSIC mentioned that they needs funds to ship the pre-orders.

If you consider that the initial backers are getting the units fairly near to cost, that means it'll take $1-3mil in funds to ship the backlog before they can hope to ship orders from new sales, that means they need.

I believe they have had a staff of 10 or maybe more most of the last 2ish years, which is probably $1-2mil in salary alone. Outside of R&D + the marketing they've been doing.

It's likely they've burned enough cash that the weight of the pre order volume is crushing their launch, now that they appear to have a product essentially ready to ship.

I'd expect to see someone with money either purchase the controlling interest to ship it in a takeover of sorts, or maybe someone(like razr for example) just buys the design to turn it into their own product line.

I would doubt something this big just fades into obscurity now. Especially because the Audeze has proven the demand for products like this. There can be just as many competitors in the 3D headphones space as there are for bassheads, audiophiles & gamers. This isn't a winner take all idea.

They were first to get something to the market, but the way they run it,, its not going to last long, especially if they always need constant influx of cash, and there are competitors coming to market with something similar.

Mar 29, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #266 of 301
They were first to get something to the market, but the way they run it,, its not going to last long, especially if they always need constant influx of cash, and there are competitors coming to market with something similar.

It's a big marketplace and they've spent a lot on advertising (which was stupid when satisfied customers could have given them free advertising!). I see no reason why Ossic shouldn’t have a successful product if they ever bring a product to market. Clearly hopes have to be fading by the week but you don't actually have to have the best product to be a contender: look at the three VR products.

Mar 29, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #267 of 301
It's a big marketplace and they've spent a lot on advertising (which was stupid when satisfied customers could have given them free advertising!). I see no reason why Ossic shouldn’t have a successful product if they ever bring a product to market. Clearly hopes have to be fading by the week but you don't actually have to have the best product to be a contender: look at the three VR products.
They can't fulfill current orders because of cash. they need cash influx to fulfill that, but there are competitor products that will take away that cash influx they need.
I wouldn't be surprised if Audeze comes to market on time june/july.. Taking away all of ossic's potential customers.

Mar 29, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #268 of 301
They can't fulfill current orders because of cash. they need cash influx to fulfill that, but there are competitor products that will take away that cash influx they need.
I wouldn't be surprised if Audeze comes to market on time june/july.. Taking away all of ossic's potential customers.

I'm at least as pessimistic as you are, but I don't think that Audeze will take all of Ossic's potential customers. If that were the case, Sennheiser would have taken all Beats' potential customers. Markets aren't perfectly efficient and there's always room for some other view. Since we're talking about bad scenarios, how about this though: Ossic goes out of business and their technology, funded with our money, is bought up by another company that refuses to recognise the pledges? If I were an exec at Ossic, that's just the sort of thing I might envisage as an exit plan.

Mar 29, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #269 of 301
I'm at least as pessimistic as you are, but I don't think that Audeze will take all of Ossic's potential customers. If that were the case, Sennheiser would have taken all Beats' potential customers. Markets aren't perfectly efficient and there's always room for some other view. Since we're talking about bad scenarios, how about this though: Ossic goes out of business and their technology, funded with our money, is bought up by another company that refuses to recognise the pledges? If I were an exec at Ossic, that's just the sort of thing I might envisage as an exit plan.
being how delayed they are with the kickstarter. i was very surprised that i actually got my developer unit.. Main reason i'm not sending this back, even with this noise floor.
If there were other developer unit owners here, please PM me, so we can share our thoughts. I'm nearly positive that this noise floor is there due to design.

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #270 of 301

I am afraid that this is exactly how this will play out. Latest post on the campaign is that they reached 100k that seems hardly enough to get the remainder of the units out to 10,000+ backers or whatever that number is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back