Buy new HD650 drivers or get a different headphone?
Apr 28, 2015 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tight_budget

Head-Fier
I have a pair of old HD600s that sounded weirdly hollow - vocals sounded recessed and far away. I dismantled it, messed around with the drivers and broke something. 

A pair of HD650 drivers plus shipping would cost me $120. I have no guarantees that new drivers would fix the problem, but it seems likely. Sennheiser no longer sells HD600 drivers, so I'm stuck with the 650. 

On the other hand, I've been thinking about the Philips Fidelio X2 which is highly reviewed. A new one from Amazon would cost me about $330 shipped (plus import duty). I'm torn between fixing my old Senns or buying something new. Prior to breaking the drivers, I had already spent some money changing the cables and ear pads, hoping that would solve the problem. I know those are sunk costs and shouldn't affect my decision, but it bugs me. What do you guys think? 

FYI I don't have another pair of open cans. My current set up includes the Audio Technica ESW-9 and A900X, and a few IEMs. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 4
I would too - they're amazing headphones BUT absolutely need amping. If you don't have some power to drive them at this time then you may be better off with easier-to-drive cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back