Buy HD600/650 or not?
Jun 3, 2013 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Gizb0

New Head-Fier
Well, first of all i have to say that english is not my native language, so sorry for any mistakes.
I am a student (mechanical engineering to be exactly) so i dont have alot of money to spend, specially if the thing im actually buying does not offer me something special, or something i dont already have.
Now, i am enjoying music through my HD598 + STX i have to say i enjoy it, alot.
After spending some time on this forum, searching for new stuff and getting some new information, i fell in love with these phones:
  1. Senn HD600
  2. Senn HD650
  3. HE-400
The last choise, at the moment, i cant afford it, but the others i can. I can buy them at amazon.it 280€ and 330€ respectevly.
Now comes the hard question... Does it improve the sound quality dramatically? Is worth the extra 300€ (+-), specially for me (student with almost 0€ to spend...)?
Thanks alot for the attention.

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
Well, first of all i have to say that english is not my native language, so sorry for any mistakes.
I am a student (mechanical engineering to be exactly) so i dont have alot of money to spend, specially if the thing im actually buying does not offer me something special, or something i dont already have.
Now, i am enjoying music through my HD598 + STX i have to say i enjoy it, alot.
After spending some time on this forum, searching for new stuff and getting some new information, i fell in love with these phones:
  1. Senn HD600
  2. Senn HD650
  3. HE-400
The last choise, at the moment, i cant afford it, but the others i can. I can buy them at amazon.it 280€ and 330€ respectevly.
Now comes the hard question... Does it improve the sound quality dramatically? Is worth the extra 300€ (+-), specially for me (student with almost 0€ to spend...)?
Thanks alot for the attention.

The first piece of advice for any student is to look at buying used headphones. You can always buy new pads so that you won't have to worry about other people's dirt and grime being on your ear. 

If you have little money and want great sound, then I suggest you look at trying to buy some used sennheiser HD580s. They sound pretty darn close to the HD600s for a lot less money. 

However, if you can find used HE-400s in your budget, then get those. Plain and simple. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
But i already have the HD598... Why do i need a downgrade (HD580)?
And one thing i dont like on them is the bass (or the lack of it)

Just because it's older and the number is lower doesn't mean it's lower. In your case, it might not be much of an upgrade - no matter how close the HD580s are to the HD600, it has some design quirks that were for the most part fixed on the HD600, so those shortcomings might lead you to feel it's a sidegrade if not a downgrade.

That said, if you enjoy the HD598, why get new headphones?

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 11
Because, in every review i read, the senn HD600 is considered a "must have" by all audiophiles, plus i feel the HD598 lacks of bass, and im a hiphop/RnB/DnB addict.

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #6 of 11
Instead of starting a new post on getting recommendations, check out the recommendations thread. Lots of people who can help you there.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/full-size-headphone-recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Because, in every review i read, the senn HD600 is considered a "must have" by all audiophiles, plus i feel the HD598 lacks of bass, and im a hiphop/RnB/DnB addict.

Good luck with the bass. It's enough for me playing "My Boo" and "Anytime," but a lot of people think it lacks the pounding bass.

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 11
I find the Sennheiser HD 598 a good foundation on which to upgrade, but nothing more. I don't find it satisfying (anymore), and I think true sound quality should be a step up from that (though many others are not even there, or somewhere strange on a lateral path), and as far as I know (well, not really), the Senn HD 600 is a step up in terms of presence and detail, and I'd definitely try them.

Jun 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 11
The thing with HD600/650 is that they need a better/stonger amp to really shine.

I would suggest you look for a pair of Denon AH-D2000 or similar if you don´t have the money to invest in a serious headphone amp.

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

You should get something else then. HD600/650 are capable of handling bass, but they are not suited for the genres you like. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back