buy DAC?
Oct 4, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #18 of 27
Well, driving a 50-ohm headphone from a 220-ohm source is not the best idea. I would recommend less than 5 ohms for the source. This would minimize problems with driver resonance and associated impedance variations.

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, driving a 50-ohm headphone from a 220-ohm source is not the best idea. I would recommend less than 5 ohms for the source. This would minimize problems with driver resonance and associated impedance variations.

"driver resonance and associated impedance variations"????

The tamping waffle should be next to the truxley trunion!

Oct 4, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no point in confusing a newbie with jitter.

Ooops - did I step*on someone's turf? I've not been in these forums too long so I guess I am not aware of the ground rules of what can and cannot be said to newbies.
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 4, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWysokinski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Especially that there are no strong evidences that jitter (at the level that is found in hi-fi/hi-end devices) is audible.

See this report on random jitter audibility

250 nanosec for random jitter with skilled listeners!

Now, ask yourself how likely is jitter to ever be completely random??

FAT CHANCE - jitter comes from equipment power supplies, circuitry, and transmission of a defined digital encoding format - very likely to be non-random!!

Dunn AES papers estimate 20 psec as the threshold (this may be too conservative)

What is the jitter rating of a typical Sony commercial CD player < 1 nanosec.

Jitter is very real and when considering better amplification it makes sense to also consider jitter.

Cymbals and sounds above 2 KHz will be where jitter is most audible as with most distortion there a slightly perceptible lack of clarity.

I would agree it is not night and day and would recommend getting good cans and a decent source/amp before anything else.

As Joe Cool points out - the headphones on the attractively priced NAD are clearly an afterthought. So perhaps a decent amp is the first step for a newbie.

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #23 of 27
As I said, for the OP, it's irrelevant and will just confuse them.

Back on topic, I gather the headphone outs of many amps are connected to the speaker output via a resistor, so can be rather underwhelming. Does the job though if your demands aren't high.

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #25 of 27
Hmm, i see. Maybe when i pass school this year i shall reward myself with a HD800 or something
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by noisiaNL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, i see. Maybe when i pass school this year i shall reward myself with a HD800 or something
smily_headphones1.gif

Get the something,it will more than likely be cheaper/sound better/and can be driven from an i-pod.

Oct 7, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chippy99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"driver resonance and associated impedance variations"????

The tamping waffle should be next to the truxley trunion!

I like your style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back