buy DAC?
Oct 2, 2009 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

noisiaNL

New Head-Fier
currently i got it like this: FLAC -> Foobar (with wasapi) -> NAD 3240PE amplifier -> HD595. I was thinking if a DAC would be worth it. Is a headphone amp also really alot better than a normal amp? What would be a good choice for a DAC (maybe with a headphone amp included or separate) ? Budget depends on how much i gain in quality.

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 27
What is your current audio card?

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by noisiaNL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
currently i got it like this: FLAC -> Foobar (with wasapi) -> NAD 3240PE amplifier -> HD595. I was thinking if a DAC would be worth it. Is a headphone amp also really alot better than a normal amp? What would be a good choice for a DAC (maybe with a headphone amp included or separate) ? Budget depends on how much i gain in quality.

You won't necessarily get a significant lift in quality from a headphone amp vs. a good integrated like the NAD you have. You will, probably, get a noticeable drop in background noise from getting the DAC outside of your computer. Personally, I'd start with a simple, inexpensive, quality DAC like the Super DAC Pro 707 (or any number of similarly-priced DACs). Then I would consider that my reference system when trying other DACs and amps (with liberal return policies), and send back anything that didn't earn its weight. There is a ton of nonsense, psychological bias and plain delusion among audiophiles. Best to have a point of reference and judge things for yourself. Blind, whenever possible.

P

Oct 3, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Benchmark DAC 1 is really good and has a headphone amp.
Benchmark Media Systems

840 euro is too expensive

Quote:

You won't necessarily get a significant lift in quality from a headphone amp vs. a good integrated like the NAD you have.

ok, i thought it would be better to get a seperate dac anyway because of upgrading so if i buy anything it would be the dac
Quote:

You will, probably, get a noticeable drop in background noise from getting the DAC outside of your computer. Personally, I'd start with a simple, inexpensive, quality DAC like the Super DAC Pro 707 (or any number of similarly-priced DACs). Then I would consider that my reference system when trying other DACs and amps (with liberal return policies), and send back anything that didn't earn its weight. There is a ton of nonsense, psychological bias and plain delusion among audiophiles. Best to have a point of reference and judge things for yourself. Blind, whenever possible.

that DAC looks pretty cool and i can get it for 100 euro, i shall digg into it a little.

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Fubar3 USB - DAC + integrated Headphone Amplifier (225 EUR): Fubar3 should be ok for you.

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 27
That looks really, really good. but i think a separate dac would be better because i don't think the amp is gonna do much improvement on the amp i got now. the fubar 2 is just 90euro. Fubar2

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

That looks really, really good. but i think a separate dac would be better because i don't think the amp is gonna do much improvement on the amp i got now. the fubar 2 is just 90euro. Fubar2

If you are going to use AKG with your NAD amplifier, there is no point in buying integrated DAC+amp. There might be some improvements comparing to NAD, but none of "night and day" type.

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWysokinski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are going to use AKG with your NAD amplifier, there is no point in buying integrated DAC+amp. There might be some improvements comparing to NAD, but none of "night and day" type.

Yep. If you come across some money, upgrade your headphones, not your amp. The higher impedance Senn HD600s may even like the relatively high (industry standard, actually) output impedance of your NAD headphone jack better than your 595s do, and that step up will definitely be audible, in smooth, grainless upper mids and trebles, and tighter, deeper, better controlled bass. There is nothing in the world wrong with dedicated headphone amps, but given the same basic quality level, there is no real reason to expect one to improve upon your integrated unless you're using extremely low impedance phones.

P

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #11 of 27
Stereo amplifier with good headphone outs are a really mixed bag (especially consumer RCA only type stuff). I am not sure how good the NAD is (it can be an afterthought on something designed to achieve a price point) - a lot may also depend on the sensitivity of your headphones. Some really good cans are hard to drive and this is where a great headphone amp will shine.

You need to be aware that all interfaces cause jitter and a Benchmark DAC1 will eliminate jitter below audibility for anything you connect to it (pricey but you get peace of mind). Try to get a loaner from a musician or guitar store -check it out and compare and most likely you'll want to start saving. Alternatively - concentrate on cans that are easy to drive (high sensitivity) and stick with your existing setup - better to spend $700 for a used DAC1 and a step change then $200 to simply change horses...

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadorne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to be aware that all interfaces cause jitter

There is no point in confusing a newbie with jitter.

Oct 4, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Save your money and stick with the Nad,I doubt very much that even after spending $1000 you are going to notice that much of a gain if any over what you have now.

Before spending any money on Dac's Amps etc you should try and get a listen first,its quite possible that what you have now sounds better to your ears.

Oct 4, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no point in confusing a newbie with jitter.

Especially that there are no strong evidences that jitter (at the level that is found in hi-fi/hi-end devices) is audible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back